• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should the Central Bank building on Dame St be kept in public ownership ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
The Central Bank is currently spread across 4 locations in Dublin, and is due to move to the North Wall Quay, having purchased the "to be" Anglo Headquarters

I've been in the CB a good bit and on the inside it is a fairly ugly building (albeit with amazing views), it is also in need of refurbishment, rewiring etc. The plaza outside is quite large , with some of it fenced off.

Should it be kept as a public building ?
Should it be listed ?

A public competion is to be held for ideas:
New uses sought for Central Bank site - The Irish Times - Mon, Nov 26, 2012
“The purpose of the competition is to create a body of ideas about how the Central Bank building might approach its next phase of life . . . to re-imagine the building and its immediate surrounding environment in an innovative and exciting way,”
cYp

Davidoff

To my eyes it's an unremarkable office building.

Don't particularly care what happens to it.

ruserious

Make it a museum of Ireland. A new age on each floor.

Shqiptar

Hideous monstrosity. Dismantle it.

TiredOfBeingTired

To resurrect the decentralisation program, should the Central Bank not be moved to Craggy Island?
There are some former clerical buildings there that are no longer in use and are readily available.

Also, Craggy Island has a history of being used as a dump for errant characters with dodgy financial histories.
"That money was just resting in that account"

TommyO'Brien

Good thread. Yes it should be kept in public ownership. But like so many high rise buildings the actual floor space is smaller than people presume. Most state uses would need a much larger floor space.

Shqiptar

It's a vile, phallic symbol of monetarism and capitalism thrust right into the middle of what should be Dublin's arty bohemian quarter.

(Frank McDonald never said that.)

titmouse

It's a vile, phallic symbol of monetarism and capitalism thrust right into the middle of what should be Dublin's arty bohemian quarter.

(Frank McDonald never said that.)
But that contrast is part of what makes it so interesting.

Shqiptar

But that contrast is part of what makes it so interesting.
Contrast, eh?

Can I have a vegetarian anti-patriarchal collective of dope smoking lesbians around the IFSC?

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Demolish the CB building and build a €64billion theme park on the site. They will come.

We can all have a Gathering there.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

We could also have a German themed bit... The 'Special Case' space.

Davidoff

To resurrect the decentralisation program, should the Central Bank not be moved to Craggy Island?
There are some former clerical buildings there that are no longer in use and are readily available.

Also, Craggy Island has a history of being used as a dump for errant characters with dodgy financial histories.
"That money was just resting in that account"
Decentralisation, properly implemented, made a lot of sense. Alas our politicians couldn't properly implement the flushing of a toilet.

Do we even need a central bank any more? We have no national currency and no banking regulation worthy of the name.

Close the building. Take the highest bid at the next Allsop's auction. Lay off the staff that aren't needed, and send the remaining eight of them to, let's say, in deference to the relevant minister, the outskirts of Limerick.

DownTheyGo

Give it to me ...... I know exactly what to do.

Go away funky, I know, me.

Believe me... aka Hong Kong style transformation!

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Decentralisation, properly implemented, made a lot of sense. Alas our politicians couldn't properly implement the flushing of a toilet.

Do we even need a central bank any more? We have no national currency and no banking regulation worthy of the name.

Close the building. Take the highest bid at the next Allsop's auction. Lay off the staff that aren't needed, and send the remaining eight of them to, let's say, in deference to the relevant minister, the outskirts of Limerick.
Well over a thousand, nearing on two thousand staff work for the CB

cYp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies