• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should the EU require all new cars to have Pedestrian Airbags to save lives?

IbrahaimMohamad

Since the widespread introduction of airbags for the occupants of cars, many lives have been saved. Generally the extra cost involved has benefited the car drivers and their passengers, and this obviously provides a benefit the market will reward.

However the market has not seemed to have been as successful in driving the use of external airbags, which can save many lives.
Making drivers feel safer may lead to them driving less carefully rather than more carefully which may be one of the disadvantages of airbags to protect car occupants.

Volvo have developed and demonstrated how pedestrian airbags can save many lives. Cyclists would benefit greatly too from external airbags on cars!

Should the EU require all new cars to have Pedestrian Airbags to save lives? Surely it is only proper that drivers should bear additional costs if it will lower the pedestrian death toll of motor vehicles?

Would anyone argue that we cannot afford to put seat belts in care or even airbags? It would be just as foolish to argue that we cannot afford pedestrian airbags! Even if they cost a few grand per car extra it would be worthwhile. Governments should not apply VRT to the additional cost of pedestrian Aribags.

Volvo Develops External Airbags to Protect Pedestrians - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Last edited:

Truth.ie

Strange that no Govt is calling for seat belts and air bags on buses, trains and coaches.
Oh. Because they'll have to pay for it.
Thats why.

drummed

Ya, i'm going to pay loads extra to protect drunkards and the terminally stupid?
Nice one bob.

ruserious

And get sued for causing whip lash as well? F*ck that.

stopdoingstuff

I think there is already a transmission mechanism. If the insurance companies run the numbers and figure out that they save a whole bunch of money if the cars have such air bags, then we will see them becoming standard whether there is regulation or not.

Half Nelson

It's been tried.

Half Nelson

I think there is already a transmission mechanism. If the insurance companies run the numbers and figure out that they save a whole bunch of money if the cars have such air bags, then we will see them becoming standard whether there is regulation or not.
The car insurance ads. are on to us already.

eoghanacht

I remember being a newbie and having those hot flushes of thread posting mania.

IbrahaimMohamad

Ya, i'm going to pay loads extra to protect drunkards and the terminally stupid?
Nice one bob.
Should motorists not drive at a slower pace and be more careful when drunks or people with special needs are at large?

Many people have impaired senses for many different reasons. Sutrely motorists have a responsibility to drive with due care to prevent accidents?
Pedestrian Airbags can mitigate the damage when motorists fail to have due care. The slower motorists drive the less harm they will do!

Analyzer

Please relocate this thread to the humour section.

eoghanacht

I used to get run over all the time then I realised not walking in the middle of the road after having a few miraculously reduced the number of times that happened.

Trampas

Should motorists not drive at a slower pace and be more careful when drunks or people with special needs are at large?
......or indeed people who may be on their knees and headbutting the tarmac outside their place of worship.

On a more serious note I gather that crash tests on new cars include pedestrian impact tests where cars are marked accordingly and stars awarded.

drummed

Many people have impaired senses for many different reasons. Sutrely motorists have a responsibility to drive with due care to prevent accidents?
Pedestrian Airbags can mitigate the damage when motorists fail to have due care. The slower motorists drive the less harm they will do!
Nah, people on the roadway get run over. If their dead who's going to pay for my bodywork damage? That's the issue here.

IbrahaimMohamad

Nah, people on the roadway get run over. If their dead who's going to pay for my bodywork damage? That's the issue here.
So roads are really only for occupants of cars and all other users do so at peril to life and limb with no liability attached to car drivers?

Mackers

They would be better forcing Governments to stop ripping people off in the form of car buying taxes. VRT VAT unfair taxes.