• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should the GAA fly the Union Jack at games held in county grounds in NI?

between the bridges

only on designated days...

between the bridges

serious answer, as part of the on going neutralization program the GAA will have to fly no flegs, reap what you sow...

Éamonn an Chnoic

I think it should probably be debated by the grass roots and see what they think. The GAA is the volunteers that run it from underage club to intercounty. It should be their decision.

Gurdiev

Iarmhi ....you've been maligned on another thread . Is it true you are a sock/troll.?

meriwether

serious answer, as part of the on going neutralization program the GAA will have to fly no flegs, reap what you sow...
What neutralization programme?

Is this some daft analogy you have drawn between the City hall flag issue (an official and public area) and a private orgainsation (the GAA)?

Please tell me it is. I will enjoy mocking your analogy.

physicist

At the moment the GAA doesn't do it anywhere in the UK

(Emerald Showgrounds, Ruslip, London, Great Britain)

Then again in Rossnowlagh Donegal, Republic of Ireland

If Union flag lovers join the GAA and change it from within as part of a shared identity than fine. Similarly if those in the Orange Order want the Green White and Orange as well as just the Orange in their parades fine. To me you can be both a Gael and a Brit as many Scottish are, and both Orange and Irish as many Southern Irish have claimed.

With all the attempts of neutrality, if the best they can achieve is the nine county Ulster coat of arms, some in the loyalist community are happy with and the St Patrick's saltire that is still flown from Maynooth respectively than that should be acknowledged.

At the moment the Sheáin Bhuí Gael and the Orange Hibernian seem to keep a low profile, but to me they are the only group that can change either.

Until then, laissiez-faire to the GAA having Irish flags, and the Orange Order having their Union flags wherever they may go, and let neither side be provoked by that. The white stands for peace between traditions after all.

Glaucon

Why would Irish people fly a flag that is emblematic of their subjugation to a foreign power? The Union Jack has no business anywhere near any institution that prides itself on being Irish.

eoghanacht

Was asked this last night

What you reckon?
Should they? I don't think we have the right to insist they do anything would I welcome it? I don't really care either way.

eoghanacht

It's hard to know with you sometimes either your just being stupid for stupids sake or you can't tell the difference between a private sporting organisation and a public building thats supposed to represent two communities.

Why are yis so against something thats considered the norm across the rest of the UK?

C

Castle Ray

Why would Irish people fly a flag that is emblematic of their subjugation to a foreign power? The Union Jack has no business anywhere near any institution that prides itself on being Irish.
The Union Flag has Irish symbolism running from each corner of it right to the centre of it. Many Irish institutions and Irish people are rightly proud of it. You have no right to impose what you think is Irish and not Irish on any other Irish person.

eoghanacht

The Union Flag has Irish symbolism running from each corner of it. Many Irish institutions and Irish people are rightly proud of it. You have no right to impose what you think is Irish and not Irish on any other Irish person.

Whether St Patrick's flag is Irish is debatable, it was first used by the Anglo-Normans afaik

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies