• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should the Government grant aid junk food production while also funding healthy eating?

IbrahaimMohamad

Should our Governments have joined up thinking on Healthy eating?

Our Department of Health is busy promoting fighting obesity and related diseases which they reckon will cost us millions annually while at the same time companies which manufacture junk foods receive massive grants to expand junk food production.

I suppose junk food production creates jobs just as the treatment of diseases caused by junk food creates jobs.

Would it not be better not to promote junk food production by not providing grants for the sector? That would be a start before moving to raise taxes on junk foods!

The Government have just announced a half million euro grant for a junk food company!

News - Largo Foods (Tayto) receives grant for equipment...

Last edited:
D

Dylan2010

you are probably correct, statism makes no sense and is normally producer focused not consumer focused. Its starts in the state run matenity hospitals with those fake milk freebies ie formula for new borns and never stops after that.

Ribeye

The govt should not be giving taxpayers money to any private business, or using it to try to tell people what to eat,

It's not their job!

shiel

Our history should tell us that putting things in perspective junk food and obesity are problems but are more acceptable and easier to deal with than hunger and famine.

Analyzer

The government have just promised to sucker the PAYE taxpayers with taxes for four decades to prop up junk banks.......in contravention to promises made before the last general election about it being "labours way or Frankfurt's way"....

with junk food at least we have an opt out. No opt out clause from the EU Commission looking after the bondholders.

irelandmearsedotcom

Our history should tell us that putting things in perspective junk food and obesity are problems but are more acceptable and easier to deal with than hunger and famine.
Why should they be more acceptable? They both result in a certain amount of misery and ultimately death. The former is ,in most cases self-inflicted and the latter a result of economic failure ,despotism,colonialism etc but all are unacceptable surely!

Reck-less

The govt should not be giving taxpayers money to any private business, or using it to try to tell people what to eat,

It's not their job!
I think that the Government should subsidise the cost of production of vegetables, to get people eating more healthily.

Look at what they've done in America:

This would definitely solve the obesity problem here in Ireland. ;)

Mossy Heneberry

It is not junk food per se that causes obesity, it's people's eating habits and lifestyle choices that causes it.

I like eating junk food but only every now again and I also get in as much exercise as possible.

IbrahaimMohamad

It is not junk food per se that causes obesity, it's people's eating habits and lifestyle choices.

I like eating junk food but only every now again and I also get in as much exercise as possible.
The more junk food that is manufactured and the more it is subsidised with grants the cheaper it will be.

Why waste money promoting and subsidising junk-food while spending millions in another department then trying to dissuade people from consuming the junk food you just subsidised?

Mossy Heneberry

The more junk food that is manufactured and the more it is subsidised with grants the cheaper it will be.

Why waste money promoting and subsidising junk-food while spending millions in another department then trying to dissuade people from consuming the junk food you just subsidised?
Here's an idea. Let's not spend millions on subsidising junk food or trying to dictate what people should eat.

ETA: Seems this money has more to do with proping up a Gaelteacht region.

R3volution_R3ady

Maybe we should stop trying to micro manage absolutely everything and let people that want to eat junk food, eat it. Let them pay for their hospital bills. People need to start taking responsibility for their actions. The same with smokers. And I'm a smoker! Yet I'm more than willing to pay for the damage I'm doing to myself with my own money. It's the price I pay.