Should the Iona Institute have to register with SIPO ? Ought the BAI have a role...are referenda too regulated?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
Should the Iona Institute have to register with SIPO ? Ought the BAI have a role...are referenda too regulated?

So Iona are refusing to register with SIPO
Iona Institute Refuses to Register as Third Party in Same-Sex Referendum Campaign » Bock The Robber
Iona declines to register donations | The Sunday Times

Actually I am with them on this one, to a point. I don't believe the State ought to regulate referenda...I don't think there should be limits on donations etc. Also I don't believe the BAI ought to have a role.

But many of you do believe in regulation of referenda...and thus there are rules. Is the Iona Institute bending/breaking them ?

CyP

Last edited:

Cato

From what I understand, strictly speaking they are within their rights. It is only the production of material - posters, leaflets &c that triggers the requirement and they've stated that they will not be producing any.

USER1234

Iona Institute Refuses to Register as Third Party in Same-Sex Referendum Campaign » Bock The Robber

Actually ai am with them on this one, to a point. I don't believe the State ought to regulate referenda...I don't think there should be limits on donations etc. Also I don't believe the BAI ought to have a role.

But many of you do believe in regulation of referenda...and thus there are rules. Is the Iona Institute bending/breaking them ?

CyP
Yes they should have to register, the claim that they are not campaigning on this issue is laughable, there status as a charity should not allow them to skip all the rules of this!

Last edited:

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
Last edited:

'orebel

From what I understand, strictly speaking they are within their rights. It is only the production of material - posters, leaflets &c that triggers the requirement and they've stated that they will not be producing any.
I'll bet they do produce bucket-loads of them. They'll then add a tiny meeting announcement at the bottom to circumvent the law.

Similar to this one by their youth branch:

'orebel

Actually I am with them on this one, to a point. I don't believe the State ought to regulate referenda...I don't think there should be limits on donations etc. Also I don't believe the BAI ought to have a role.

CyP
Has Bock coined a new name for them with 'Ionanists'?

I like it.

Cato

longford

Defend traditional marriage. Where pro creation is in principle impossible marriage is irrelavent. The word in principle means relating to the definition of so if an Apple has a worm in it the worm is not part of the definition of the apple. So if a man is impotent or a woman infertile they in hole do not change the definition of marriage because between a man and a woman pro creation is always in principle possible but if you have two men or two women it's not just in principle impossible it is impossible in principle so if you are calling that a marriage you have changed its definition in such a way to destroy the necessity of the institution since the only reason it has survived in society's and civilisations was to regulate from a social point of view the obligations and responsibilities upon pro creation.

redacted

Defend traditional marriage. Where pro creation is in principle impossible marriage is irrelavent. The word in principle means relating to the definition of so if an Apple has a worm in it the worm is not part of the definition of the apple. So if a man is impotent or a woman infertile they in hole do not change the definition of marriage because between a man and a woman pro creation is always in principle possible but if you have two men or two women it's not just in principle impossible it is impossible in principle so if you are calling that a marriage you have changed its definition in such a way to destroy the necessity of the institution since the only reason it has survived in society's and civilisations was to regulate from a social point of view the obligations and responsibilities upon pro creation.
Are your other 2 posts as irrelevant to their respective topics?

Cellachán Chaisil

It's impossible in principle for two infertile people to procreate.

redacted

CyP
If the limits on donations to referenda campaigns were to be abolished i feel it would even more important that there is at least transparency on where the funds are coming from. This is what Iona doesn't wish to disclose.

gerhard dengler

why? its relevant
It's irrelevant and inaccurate.

The OP contains a link from another website which advocates in favour of homosexual marriage.

The content of the link in the OP cannot be substantiated.

This thread should be zoo'ed.

Cato

No pretty sure this topic falls under the branch of the re definition of marriage
That's not what the OP is about. You're off topic.

lostexpectation

Website
It's irrelevant and inaccurate.

The OP contains a link from another website which advocates in favour of homosexual marriage.

The content of the link in the OP cannot be substantiated.

This thread should be zoo'ed.
[h=3]http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/Reports/Register-of-Third-Parties/[/h]
[h=4]List of Organisations[/h][h=4]Date Contacted[/h][h=4]Date of Reply[/h][h=4]Registered[/h]
Iona Institute20/02/2015
05/03/2015No

lostexpectation

Website
Does it mention the referendum or call for a specific vote? They're just about within the letter of the law, but they are within.
I thought the Iona Institute were more interested in following the spirit.

Windowshopper

Of course Iona shouldn't register they were purposely designed so that they don't have to register.

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom