• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should the Irish Defence Forces be fighting the Taliban?

He3

US Vice President Joe Biden has appealed to NATO allies for help tackling the 'deteriorating situation' in Afghanistan.

'(It) poses a security threat not just to the United States but to every single nation round this table,' Mr Biden told representatives of the 26-nation military pact during a visit to Brussels today.

Ireland is not in NATO but we are in the EU and in defence terms the EU and NATO share many goals, while the EU is developing its own defence identity.

Should Irish Defence Forces be fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan alongside fellow EU member States' soldiers, who happen to be in NATO?

Link

Factorem

Yet it's ok for them to protect French gold and uranium interests in Chad?

forest

as long as its not under nato
I dont care

There is talk today of them fighting fat kids

Clanrickard

Lets start by sending after Muj and Alterego

Big Bobo

No of course they shouldn't be sent to oppress the poor people of Afghanistan. What a ridiculous question.

marmurr1916

No. They should be fighting the CIRA and the RIRA.

Mujaahid

Website
gmx.com
No. They should be fighting the CIRA and the RIRA.
Should British troops be in Ireland? Isn't their continued presence on the island of Ireland the catalyst for CIRA and RIRA activity?

absconded

I think it´s high time that the government stepped up to the plate and started contributing troops to the action in Afghanistan. It´s a war worth fighting for humanity and western civilisation. Furthermore, our EU fellow states are contributing troops and sustaining casualties while we stand idly with hands in pockets.

Rocky

US Vice President Joe Biden has appealed to NATO allies for help tackling the 'deteriorating situation' in Afghanistan.

'(It) poses a security threat not just to the United States but to every single nation round this table,' Mr Biden told representatives of the 26-nation military pact during a visit to Brussels today.

Ireland is not in NATO but we are in the EU and in defence terms the EU and NATO share many goals, while the EU is developing its own defence identity.

Should Irish Defence Forces be fighting the Taliban in Afghanistan alongside fellow EU member States' soldiers, who happen to be in NATO?

Link
I don't know what the military capabilities of the Irish armed forces are and if it could it cope with another overseas mission. We are currently doing our bit in using our armed forces to help other people in Chad and I believe we are doing more good in Chad than we would do in Afghanistan.

However if we could do it I would have no problem with Ireland doing it's bit to bring security and peace to Afghanistan, but to be honest the war won't be over if we sent troops over, so it’s not a huge issue.

The US/Afghanistan government does definitly need more help from European States though, but obviously the bigger states can do far more than we can.

marmurr1916

Should British troops be in Ireland? Isn't their continued presence on the island of Ireland the catalyst for CIRA and RIRA activity?
No. The catalyst for CIRA and RIRA activity is their refusal to accept the sovereignty of the people of Ireland.

marmurr1916

I think it´s high time that the government stepped up to the plate and started contributing troops to the action in Afghanistan. It´s a war worth fighting for humanity and western civilisation. Furthermore, our EU fellow states are contributing troops and sustaining casualties while we stand idly with hands in pockets.
Over 40,000 Irish soldiers, almost all of them men (although women are now serving too) have served on UN mandated missions. That's almost 2% of the total male population, almost 1% of the total population.

Name me one other EU country where such a high proportion of the population has served humanity and western civilzation in such an admirable way.

mmrebel

see my post above i think we are all ready doing our bit over there. if our soilders are defusing taliban bombs does that mean we are fighting them .......... ?

absconded

I don't know what the military capabilities of the Irish armed forces are and if it could it cope with another overseas mission. We are currently doing our bit in using our armed forces to help other people in Chad and I believe we are doing more good in Chad than we would do in Afghanistan.

However if we could do it I would have no problem with Ireland doing it's bit to bring security and peace to Afghanistan, but to be honest the war won't be over if we sent troops over, so it’s not a huge issue.

The US/Afghanistan government does definitly need more help from European States though, but obviously the bigger states can do far more than we can.
The Irish Army could easily spare an infantry Company (120+/- men).
It´s not that they would have an enormous impact, but it would show solidarity with other EU states, Canadians and Australians etc.

Big Bobo

I think you've been watching too much Star Wars. You do realise that the ordinary Afghan people dispise the occuppying forces?

do you also believe the US should invade the following countries?
- Zimbabwe
- Burma
- Iran
- North Korea
- Syria
- Belarus
- Pakistan
- Uzbekistan
etc etc