• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Should the Irish forget Gaeilge and go and learn the languages of the 'new irish' ?

Spirit Of Newgrange

Lets face it, the attempts to revive Gaeilge have been an abject expensive failure. Apart from English, the vibrant languages being spoken by large swathes of our population are certainly alive and well.

Anyway, while walking slowly along a narrow path and burdened with some heavy bags it came to my attention that a couple of 'new irish' were walking behind me and frustrated with the speed of my progress. There followed a tirade in one of these languages. Unbeknownst to these individuals, i understood pretty much every word. It was not 'Cead mile failte' - in fact it was the kind of invective we were never taught in Irish class.

It was not so much a case of 'feel the love' as 'do not be played for a fool'. There was certainly no love in the tirade. I was shocked but still glad to have enough vocabulary to know hostility when i hear it.

So, should we still bang our heads against the wall with Gaeilge, or should we learn another language or three and know what the people around us are saying about us ?

Languages Spoken in Ireland - Lexiophiles

White Horse

Learning a language so as to know what abusive terms others are using about you is probably the worst reason ever to learn another language.

freewillie

The Irish are completely oblivious to the benefits of learning German French etc as long as they have the escape route to the English speaking countries of USA Australia etc. We are good workers in all professions but we cant avail of the great opportunities on the European continent because of the shortage of langauage skills

wombat

No

Roisin3

Lets face it, the attempts to revive Gaeilge have been an abject expensive failure. Apart from English, the vibrant languages being spoken by large swathes of our population are certainly alive and well.

Anyway, while walking slowly along a narrow path and burdened with some heavy bags it came to my attention that a couple of 'new irish' were walking behind me and frustrated with the speed of my progress. There followed a tirade in one of these languages. Unbeknownst to these individuals, i understood pretty much every word. It was not 'Cead mile failte' - in fact it was the kind of invective we were never taught in Irish class.

It was not so much a case of 'feel the love' as 'do not be played for a fool'. There was certainly no love in the tirade. I was shocked but still glad to have enough vocabulary to know hostility when i hear it.

So, should we still bang our heads against the wall with Gaeilge, or should we learn another language or three and know what the people around us are saying about us ?

Languages Spoken in Ireland - Lexiophiles
Is this the New Paranoia? Just because you think they are talking about you doesn't mean they aren't.

linny55

The amount of Gaelscoils will surely make a difference, how about they speaking in our language be it Irish or English.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Why didn't you just let them pass?
I was jammed in between a wall and a railing, after 5 yards i did let them pass. But this was after being called every insulting name in their lexicon.

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

I don't really understand. Were the people behind you speaking a language other than Irish?

Also, are you actually suggesting we stop learning our national language so that we can understand what angry foreigners are saying about us??

Tin Foil Hat

No, we shouldn't forget about it, but it should be striped of it's official status.
There is no need to spend fortunes of money translating official documents for few people to read them, if anyone at all. Nor is there any need for the state to be obliged to provide every little service through a vanity language. This state is far to broke to waste money pandering to posers.

No, we shouldn't forget about it, but it should be striped of it's official status.
There is no need to spend fortunes of money translating official documents for few people to read them, if anyone at all. Nor is there any need for the state to be obliged to provide every little service through a vanity language. This state is far to broke to waste money pandering to posers.
Would you rather everybody who is employed due to the Irish language be on the Dole instead? Would that make the country more efficient?

The Irish language is responsible for the existence of thousands upon thousands of jobs. Údarás na Gaeltachta alone employs around 7500 full time and 4500 part time workers.

It is as essential to our economy as it is to our culture. Uneducated whingers won't change that fact.

Because its his footbath which was built with his tax and his grandfather fought for it in 1916. Or something.
Or maybe, just maybe, it was because it was narrow, as mentioned in the OP.

Thomaso12

The language shouldn't be gone but the reasons for it failure is that its thought too much in schools like the english course expecting were alredy fluent in irish, and it isn't used much in social needs thats why the majority of us can't understand it. Best way to overcome that is to teach it like a foreign language, have it used more on tv stations/radios and newspapers and acutrally have it be useful instead of just being a wasteful subject needed to get by in secondary and collage.

Spirit Of Newgrange

R

Ramps

Would you rather everybody who is employed due to the Irish language be on the Dole instead? Would that make the country more efficient?

The Irish language is responsible for the existence of thousands upon thousands of jobs
. Údarás na Gaeltachta alone employs around 7500 full time and 4500 part time workers.

It is as essential to our economy as it is to our culture. Uneducated whingers won't change that fact.
What a pity an article making it mandatory for every citizen to wear a wig wasn't included in our constitution; think of the thousands and thousands of jobs that would be available for wig makers.

I think I've solved our economic problems. Mr Nobel, vous m'entendez?

storybud1

Gimme that ? it seems a very easy language to learn ? considering that is all there is to this new Irish language!

Dan_Murphy

[video=youtube;OvlQXPNwrqo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlQXPNwrqo[/video]

Popular Threads

Most Replies