Should the Republic buy Jet Fighters for Air Force?

Fallen_Angel

I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

Maybe we need to increase our Military Expenditure and buy Jet Fighters like every other country in Europe. I don't see why we are piggy-backing on UK Air Force.

Apparently we have our own Air Force, but all we have is helicopters :lol:

We also need to increase the size of the Irish navy as we have one of the largest coastlines in Europe.

A_man_about_a_dog

Fallen_Angel said:
I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

Maybe we need to increase our Military Expenditure and buy Jet Fighters like every other country in Europe. I don't see why we are piggy-backing on UK Air Force.

We also need to increase the size of the Irish navy as we have one of the largest coastlines in Europe.
We're a neutral country. We don't envisage getting into any wars anytime soon nor do we envisage having to defend ourselves from invasion at any stage.

We are a tiny country (by Western standards), we are of little relevance globally so spending big money on military would just be a waste. We'd be doing for the sake of doing it and nothing more. It would be pointless.

coc

No.
We could probably do with functioning health service though. Or maybe a properly resourced education system?

Fallen_Angel

A_man_about_a_dog said:
[quote="Fallen_Angel":243qmj3a]I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

We're a neutral country. We don't envisage getting into any wars anytime soon nor do we envisage having to defend ourselves from invasion at any stage.

We are a tiny country (by Western standards), we are of little relevance globally so spending big money on military would just be a waste. We'd be doing for the sake of doing it and nothing more. It would be pointless.[/quote:243qmj3a]

Ah yes. Our policy of neutrality is not something we can really hide behind anymore, no matter how worth the intention behind it may be.

Ireland has signed up to join the EU battlegroups, so we need increase Military expenditure anyway if we are going to fulfill our EU obligations as a member of the EU battlegroups.

Universal_001

We can't for several reasons.

1. We think (falsely) that we don't need them
2. As you can see there are loads of people under the illusion that were neutral, and they think neutral means being disarmed, even though being well armed is one of the traditional components of neutrality.

seabhac siulach

Why not just buy big, top of the range, anti-aircraft missiles instead of planes...much, much cheaper...and more efficient for any defensive war/action the army is likely to fight.

Universal_001

When the Lisbon treaty comes in we will have to buy some, so don't worry we will get our cool toys :D

The OD

meriwether said:
We should buy big ****off jets.
For what reason?
Just because.
Why not go the whole hog and buy these?

We could mount some of those spinning barrel guns from the movie predator on the front - hey presto, stylish killing machine....although who we are supposed to kill is beyond me?

Dunny

Website
www.donnachamaguire.com
Fallen_Angel said:

No

A_man_about_a_dog

Universal_001 said:
We can't for several reasons.

2. As you can see there are loads of people under the illusion that were neutral, and they think neutral means being disarmed, even though being well armed is one of the traditional components of neutrality.

I never suggested that neutrality necessarily entails being disarmed. I'm simply suggesting that in order for us to maintain the position of neutrality which we currently hold, we would be better served remianing minimally armed.

We won't look so neutral and irrelevant to the rest of the world if we're buzzing out over the Atlantic in our EuroFighters.

As for the EU battle groups nonsense, thats a good bit down the road yet. A lot could change between now and then.

Fallen_Angel

A_man_about_a_dog said:
[quote="Universal_001":107v462a]We can't for several reasons.

I never suggested that neutrality necessarily entails being disarmed. I'm simply suggesting that in order for us to maintain the position of neutrality which we currently hold, we would be better served remianing minimally armed.

We won't look so neutral and irrelevant to the rest of the world if we're buzzing out over the Atlantic in our EuroFighters.

As for the EU battle groups nonsense, thats a good bit down the road yet. A lot could change between now and then.[/quote:107v462a]

Feck the EuroFighters, you can buy Jet Fighters, 2 for the price of 1, from China. :lol:

HanleyS

Universal_001 said:
When the Lisbon treaty comes in we will have to buy some, so don't worry we will get our cool toys :D
If that were the case Declan Ganley would be burning his cash on a Yes campaign.

Universal_001

Who...stop naming nobodys your confusing me! seriously tho...who/

Thac0man

Twitter
twit taa woo
The last time this was an issue was just after 9/11. The Irish government did not act then, I think because having the RAF as cover for our lack of interceptor capability also diluted any responsibility should the unthinkable happen.

But honestly I can see no particular reason for us to have jets. The air force is an arm of the defence forces that provides air capability in alot of areas, but defence is not really one of them outside of military mobility and resupply. On top of that jets, even basic ones, are seriously expensive not only to buy, but to maintain, and lets not forget arm. Anyone care to hazard a guess at the cost of training a jet fighter pilot when munitions (that may never be used for real) are added into the equation?

Fallen_Angel

digoutday said:
We should buy lots of them + invade the UK while they are busy elsewhere.

Good idea. We could do an Israeli-style air raid and destroy the entire Royal Air Force in 30 minutes :lol:

A_man_about_a_dog

Universal_001 said:
we already have 800 troops in the Nordic group

800? Out of interest, where'd you get that figure from? Oh wait, I know..... your hole.

We have 80 soliders in the Nordic battle group.... as confirmed by the Swedish Government:

Depending on the nature of the mission, additional resources can be added, so called enablers, consisting of e.g. air power and special units. Altogether, the unit will be made up of around 2,800 soldiers. Sweden will provide some 2,300, Finland 200, Norway 150, Ireland 80 and Estonia around 50. Strategic military command of the force will be in coordination with Great Britain.
We roughly comprise a pathetic 3% of the battle group. Hardly the kind of military involvement which requires the support of new fighter jets!

Fallen_Angel said:
Feck the EuroFighters, you can buy Jet Fighters, 2 for the price of 1, from China
Nobody should buy military goods off the Chinese, not as long as the continue to supply dangerous dictators like Mugabe with their arms.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies