Should the Republic buy Jet Fighters for Air Force?

Fallen_Angel

A_man_about_a_dog said:
Nobody should buy military goods off the Chinese, not as long as the continue to supply dangerous dictators like Mugabe with their arms.
Well I was a little hungry at the time of writing that post. I was thinking the Chinese could deliver the Jet Fighters along with dinner :lol:

trekkypj

We should buy a squadron of Eurofighters for our own air defence efforts.

Not because we currently face any threats, but because we would look the right fools if suddenly the whole game changed internationally and Europe (and by extension, Ireland) ended up under threat from the other superpowers. Ireland is an ideal spot to invade to get a foothold for an assault on Europe.

At the very least we should have the capability to carry out air patrols using aircraft that can actually intercept other jet aircraft.

There's also the issue of keeping our pilots trained on modern equipment should the unlikely happen and we have our airspace invaded.

I'm pro neutrality but definately not pro-defenceless. And the money we are talking about is available. The wastage happens elsewhere and its there, not the armed forces, where efficiencies should be realised.

The Swiss are heavily armed for a reason...

dsmythy

trekkypj said:
We should buy a squadron of Eurofighters for our own air defence efforts.

Not because we currently face any threats, but because we would look the right fools if suddenly the whole game changed internationally and Europe (and by extension, Ireland) ended up under threat from the other superpowers. Ireland is an ideal spot to invade to get a foothold for an assault on Europe.

At the very least we should have the capability to carry out air patrols using aircraft that can actually intercept other jet aircraft.

There's also the issue of keeping our pilots trained on modern equipment should the unlikely happen and we have our airspace invaded.

I'm pro neutrality but definately not pro-defenceless. And the money we are talking about is available. The wastage happens elsewhere and its there, not the armed forces, where efficiencies should be realised.

The Swiss are heavily armed for a reason...
It would be still be too much expenditure. Air forces tend to be dearer than other sections of the army and we still wouldn't have enough to stave off a superpower. We can still freeload of the RAF. After all the last thing Britain would want is Ireland falling under any future malignant Superpower. Hell they would probably invade us before the other superpower did.

drbob1972

firstly we don't have an air force we have an air corp whose responsibilities are not air defense or attack but to provide support / logistics to the army , navy, coast guard, fishery protection, etc in these roles eurofighters or F22's are not a lot of use and would only be a waste of the limited resources we have, leaving aside the many billions it would cost to purchase, maintain, etc such aircraft, what the heck good would they be against anyone likely to ever invade / attack us ? sure we might annoy / delay same attacking forces for a little while (ie minutes / hours at best) but overall they would make no real impact.

hiding behind a poster

Fallen_Angel said:
I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

Maybe we need to increase our Military Expenditure and buy Jet Fighters like every other country in Europe. I don't see why we are piggy-backing on UK Air Force.

Apparently we have our own Air Force, but all we have is helicopters :lol:

This question keeps popping up here, and its equally irrelevant every time. So I'd ask the people who think its a good idea the following questions:

1) Who's going to attack us any time in the foreseeable future?

2) Which way will they come in order to attack us, and whose airspace will they have to get through first?

3) How many jet fighters would be needed to successfully repel an attacker sufficiently strong to get through the answer to Question 2) above?

4) How much would they cost?

5) How much would it cost to maintain them, and to keep sufficient crew trained and current on them, that they could respond to an attack?

6) What are the staffing costs of hiring sufficient pilots, and of having sufficient pilots on a 10-minute standby for the jets to actually be of any defensive use?

7) Other than repelling enemy air attack, what use would the jets be put to?

8) See Question 1) above.

When you've answered those questions, we can have a discussion.

thebrom

Website
blogs.greenparty.ie
Fallen_Angel said:
I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

Maybe we need to increase our Military Expenditure and buy Jet Fighters like every other country in Europe. I don't see why we are piggy-backing on UK Air Force.

Apparently we have our own Air Force, but all we have is helicopters :lol:

We also need to increase the size of the Irish navy as we have one of the largest coastlines in Europe.
I'm sorry to say it, but it would make no difference to our security. I cannot envisage any event in which Ireland, an island at the very edge of Europe would need jetfighters.

trekkypj

Sadly it would cost too much money.

Practically speaking, yes I know its not feasible. But dammit I want us to buy Eurofighters!!! :cry:

drbob1972

trekkypj said:

Practically speaking, yes I know its not feasible. But dammit I want us to buy Eurofighters!!! :cry:
closest this country is ever going to get:-

Just to clear things up, here are details of the current Air Corp fleet
http://www.military.ie/aircorps/fleet/fleet.htm

Its mainly helicopters for Army and Garda support roles, propellor planes for fishery protection and training and a small number of jets for presidential and ministerial transport. One of the latter also has a role in "national and international patient transfer services in conjunction with the Department of Health". I believe the Coast Guard have a fleet of Sikorsky helicopters of their own.

As to buying fighter jets I'm sure the Air Corp pilots and ground crew would love get a few, but in terms of priorities buying transport aircraft would probably be of more practical use to the Irish military.

Respvblica

I suppose if we wanted to be a properly neutral country we should invest in an airforce but for now, for all the hot air, we are not a neutral country and nobody outside Ireland thinks that we are.
Like it or not, in real world terms we are merely an appendage of the EU european power block, under the local "protection" of Great Britain. The nordic battle group stuff sounds to me like pie-in-the-sky, much like our current neutrality.

Now if we wanted to be really neutral...well thats a different story.

trekkypj

drbob1972 said:
trekkypj said:

closest this country is ever going to get:-

You're probably right :D

paddybangers

A far more sensible approach to defense of the realm would to have our very own home guard fashioned along the lines of Warrington on Seas finest. Brian Cowen could take the place of Mr Mannering, Pikey could be played by Enda Kenny (stupid boy). Failing that couldn't we adopt the Italian strategy and just be on the side of the winners.

trekkypj

paddybangers said:
A far more sensible approach to defense of the realm would to have our very own home guard fashioned along the lines of Warrington on Seas finest. Brian Cowen could take the place of Mr Mannering, Pikey could be played by Enda Kenny (stupid boy). Failing that couldn't we adopt the Italian strategy and just be on the side of the winners.
*thoughtful look*

You may have a point there...

But do you really trust the Oireachtas to pick the right side? Isn't that the TRUE reason for the whole neutrality policy? ;)

fergalr

paddybangers said:
Failing that couldn't we adopt the Italian strategy and just be on the side of the winners.
WWII wasn't exactly a great example of Italy being on the side of the winners.

R Paul

Why stop at jets? Why not...

... some Imperial TIE fighters? Complete with Darth Vader helmets for the pilots of course :D

FutureTaoiseach

Website
greatdearleader.blogspot.com
What agreement with the RAF? BTW yes we should buy fighters. Even by the standards of small neutrals, spending on military equipment by our govt is pathetic.

bagel

yes, we should buy hundreds of them, and park them in the curragh camp;
that way, when the military buildings, where the evoting machines are stored, are being painted we could then store the machines in the equally expensive jets;

hiding behind a poster

FutureTaoiseach said:
BTW yes we should buy fighters.
So, you mean we should just buy fighters and leave them in a hangar somewhere? Failing that, how do you suggest we pay all the costs involved?

bagel

hiding behind a poster said:
FutureTaoiseach said:
BTW yes we should buy fighters.
So, you mean we should just buy fighters and leave them in a hangar somewhere? Failing that, how do you suggest we pay all the costs involved?
lotto money :lol:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom