Should the Republic buy Jet Fighters for Air Force?

Joe Ryan

Would should money be spent on providing jet fighters and amintaining same with spares, training pilots to fly these when schools are overcrowded and patients treated on trolleys?

FrankSpeaks

Joe Ryan said:
Would should money be spent on providing jet fighters and amintaining same with spares, training pilots to fly these when schools are overcrowded and patients treated on trolleys?
Because if can't protect our nation then we may not have overcrowded hospitals or schools to attend!

FrankSpeaks said:
Kalif said:
Lets say a plane taking off from Dublin air port was hijacked taking off, fighters could not be deployed in enough him to stop it crashing on Dublin or anywhere else in the republic....thats the reality.

The chief of staff is correct, the defence forces need more choppers and modern light armour, the naval service larger and more ships................not fighters, w orhich would most likely never see action.
Would you not agree that regular patrols by jet fighters would act as a deterrent?

Did they in the US ? the reality is an unlikely such an event, its highly unlikely they could intercept a hijacked plane in a small country like Ireland in time.

Nearly doubling the defence budget so we can have a squadron of jets (they cost 40 million each) is not justified.

FrankSpeaks

Kalif said:
FrankSpeaks said:
Kalif said:
Lets say a plane taking off from Dublin air port was hijacked taking off, fighters could not be deployed in enough him to stop it crashing on Dublin or anywhere else in the republic....thats the reality.

The chief of staff is correct, the defence forces need more choppers and modern light armour, the naval service larger and more ships................not fighters, w orhich would most likely never see action.
Would you not agree that regular patrols by jet fighters would act as a deterrent?

Did they in the US ? the reality is an unlikely such an event, its highly unlikely they could intercept a hijacked plane in a small country like Ireland in time.

Nearly doubling the defence budget so we can have a squadron of jets (they cost 40 million each) is not justified.
Its virtually impossible to deter the type of attach that occurred in the US that doesn't mean we shouldn't try.

Our defence budget is tiny probably the lowest in the EU. We can't even save our fish from being plundered by our own or foreign boats, we can't stop drugs coming in, we can't stop foreign aircraft coming into our airspace. The Russians are becoming more active in the North Atlantic such as the recent Bomber flights, why should we give them a free run into Europe who are our friends and trading partners over our airspace?

Which is why I think the republic should join NATO and gets jets and all the other hardware at a knockdown price off the US.

Nor would that mean we have to send troops to Iraq etc, NATO countries have their own veto.

FrankSpeaks

Kalif said:
Which is why I think the republic should join NATO and gets jets and all the other hardware at a knockdown price off the US.

Nor would that mean we have to send troops to Iraq etc, NATO countries have their own veto.
I am all in favour of us joining NATO.

bagel

the time to join nato was during reagan's presidency;
at that time ireland was fcuked economically and good old ronald would have given us anything we wanted for a base or two in the republic;
we could have named our price;
nowadays, the only economic windfalls we want from usa is foreign investment, preferably in r&d;

Winston Smith

A few points on this discussion:

1) The air corps has not requested jets. They sought and received advanced trainers in the Pilatus PC-9's which were purchased. The aircraft are high performance turboprop two seater trainers with all the modern avionics you would find in a jet fighter. All 8 aircraft are fitted with ejector seats and the pilots flying them wear G-Suits. Basically air corps pilots are "jet ready" but, importantly, no request for jets has been made.

2) In the days following Sept 11 2001, it is believed, that a number of RAF Tornado's were operating in Irish airspace, "just in case".

3) The air corps has a limited surface to air anti aircraft capability.

4) The air corps were jet equipped from the 1950's (DH Vampires) up to the 1990's (Fouga Magisters). Since then the only jets in the fleet have been the Ministerial Gulfstream IV and Learjet 45

5) A government commissioned report (if I recall correctly carried out by PWC in the 1990's) suggested that the State did not require jets for military purposes, but that jet capability should be retained in Air Corps pilots.

How can a propeller driven two seater trainer have the same avionics, ie complex weapons and computer systems found in a 35 million dollar jet fighter ?

You are typing spin, the plane in question is used by air forces as a trainer, its slower then a commercial aircraft.

"Jet ready" means simply ready to recive jet training.

drbob1972

FrankSpeaks said:
Of course we should have jet fighter capability. We need to protect our economic interests such as our Power stations and chemical industries etc. Regular patrolling by jet fighters over our landmass would act as a deterrent to those who would contemplate crashing a hijack jet into one of these facilities. Can you imagine if we lost Moneypoint because at present we can't defend it? Can you imagine what would happen if they crashed into one of the major chemical plants in Cork or what the economic losses would be if the Dell plant in Limerick were lost.
so we should fly CAP's (combat air patrols) over Dell in Limerick and Pyzers in Cork just incase some mad mullah wants to hurt our economy by crashing airliners into factories ala 9/11???? - me thinks Frank should think before Frank Speaks... :lol:

FrankSpeaks

drbob1972 said:
FrankSpeaks said:
Of course we should have jet fighter capability. We need to protect our economic interests such as our Power stations and chemical industries etc. Regular patrolling by jet fighters over our landmass would act as a deterrent to those who would contemplate crashing a hijack jet into one of these facilities. Can you imagine if we lost Moneypoint because at present we can't defend it? Can you imagine what would happen if they crashed into one of the major chemical plants in Cork or what the economic losses would be if the Dell plant in Limerick were lost.
so we should fly CAP's (combat air patrols) over Dell in Limerick and Pyzers in Cork just incase some mad mullah wants to hurt our economy by crashing airliners into factories ala 9/11???? - me thinks Frank should think before Frank Speaks... :lol:
This is how most other counties maintain their sovereignty!

RasherHash

I see the USMC is retiring or about to retire their fleet of Harriers.

I wonder how much good grace it would cost us to grab a half dozen of those babies?

However, by 2014 the USMC had decided to retire the AV-8B sooner because changing the transition orders of Harrier II and Hornet fleets to the Lightning II would save $1 billion.

Dame_Enda

Dedogs

I know that the Irish government has an agreement with the Royal Air Force that the RAF protects Irish airspace. Why? :D

Maybe we need to increase our Military Expenditure and buy Jet Fighters like every other country in Europe. I don't see why we are piggy-backing on UK Air Force.

Apparently we have our own Air Force, but all we have is helicopters :lol:

We also need to increase the size of the Irish navy as we have one of the largest coastlines in Europe.
in fairness mate we cant afford to keep the cop stations open outside of dublin so how the ************************ could we afford jet fighters????

Dedogs

I see the USMC is retiring or about to retire their fleet of Harriers.

I wonder how much good grace it would cost us to grab a half dozen of those babies?

However, by 2014 the USMC had decided to retire the AV-8B sooner because changing the transition orders of Harrier II and Hornet fleets to the Lightning II would save $1 billion.
feck that.... we could let enda off in a kite with a catapulet and a bag of ballbearings.... :):):)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom