Should the State fund the NSO and RTE CO, and what role might RTE have ?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
RTE feels financially precarious, and they have engineered a report that concludes the National Symphony Orchestra should be chucked out of the RTE nest:

RTÉ has reduced its orchestras to a numbers game

Now I don't particularly see the logic of Pravda having orchestras at all, very little synergy

Though the wider question presents:
Should the State pay for orchestras at all ?

[video=youtube;PdSecL8Ytrg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdSecL8Ytrg[/video]

Cyp

Last edited:

Alan Alda

Well we dont have a state/government funded skiffle band or techno DJ.
Not permanently maintained ones at least.

Sheeple_Waker

Certainly should keep it, the RTE symphony orchestra is a cultural asset. Given the decline in listening figures they should look at cutting salaries of ‘luminaries’ like Finucane & Tubridy before they do something as drastic as disband one of the orchestras.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
They should go busking in grafton st .That would save a few bob

Hillmanhunter1

RTE has no business operating an orchestra, but Ireland should have a full-sized symphony orchestra, established as a separate entity (inevitably with State subvention) with a mandate to include raising musical standards.

The orchestra should be combined with a conservatory, so that the players have teaching responsibilities too.

Analyzer

Hand one orchestra to UCC or NUIG and the other TCD or DCU. [ Sorry Belfield, but you stink with you chuminess to Maltester, Suds and Smurf].

PRAVDA are trying to run orchestras on a culture remit, whilst pumping out Fairly Sh1tty, Another Brendan O'Panaorama-tax-revelations rerun, and the Lyrics Bored....

Analyzer

RTE has no business operating an orchestra, but Ireland should have a full-sized symphony orchestra, established as a separate entity (inevitably with State subvention) with a mandate to include raising musical standards.

The orchestra should be combined with a conservatory, so that the players have teaching responsibilities too.
In other words the Orchestra would be better if they were connected with a third level body than with the propaganda quango.

I actually find myself agreeing with cyp on his suggestion to take the orchestras away from the Montrose Cocaine Club.

publicrealm

One of the reasons I'm happy to pay the TV licence is RTE's support for the arts (and for radio channels like Lyric fm).

There might be a debate as to whether the State should fund orchestras at all (I would say yes) - but if we accept the principle of State subvention then we must decide if it would be better channeled through RTE (from the licence fee) of through some other State body or department (from general taxation). (The State already funds the Limerick based ICO.)

There are obvious synergies with RTE - Lyric for example runs regular features on what's coming up with the orchestras and RTE live broadcasts many concerts. But that could continue under direct State subvention.

The question for me is whether we could trust the State not to starve the orchestras at the first sign of budgetary pressures - or where additional funds might be required for constituency matters.

Probably safer within RTE?

silverharp

One of the reasons I'm happy to pay the TV licence is RTE's support for the arts (and for radio channels like Lyric fm).

There might be a debate as to whether the State should fund orchestras at all (I would say yes) - but if we accept the principle of State subvention then we must decide if it would be better channeled through RTE (from the licence fee) of through some other State body or department (from general taxation). (The State already funds the Limerick based ICO.)

There are obvious synergies with RTE - Lyric for example runs regular features on what's coming up with the orchestras and RTE live broadcasts many concerts. But that could continue under direct State subvention.

The question for me is whether we could trust the State not to starve the orchestras at the first sign of budgetary pressures - or where additional funds might be required for constituency matters.

Probably safer within RTE?
it fools the masses , you're happy to pay 160 euro because you get 2 or 3 euros worth of value out of it for the things you want

Levellers

The state should fund an SO with a remit to do work in schools ect. as well as teaching.

Analyzer

One of the reasons I'm happy to pay the TV licence is RTE's support for the arts
It depends on what sort of "artists" they are supporting with other people's money......

[video=youtube;GvYb6XKuUwY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvYb6XKuUwY[/video]

Mrs Brown's Boys' Brendan O'Carroll 'tells Panorama to f*** off' | Daily Mail Online

[video=youtube;Mi8mavQ3Nq8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mi8mavQ3Nq8[/video]

Time to end the pretence of PRAVDA and the arts.....

Last edited:

Grin and don't bear it.

it fools the masses , you're happy to pay 160 euro because you get 2 or 3 euros worth of value out of it for the things you want
.......and to pay La Finucane's few hundred grand just for turning up and wheezily gossiping with her peers with negligible 'research '. At one stage it was €590,000 for 4 hours radio.
Even worse is the fact that in their bubble they really believe they are worth it. Root and branch reform/abolition is needed.

fifilawe

To save money RTÉ should have tv broadcasting 7am- midnight daily.Radio 2 should be shutdown asap as the material it broadcasts is already catered for by local independent radio.Pop, trivial matters , quizes and youth affairs.TG4 should run 12noon - 12 midnight daily.Radio 1 broadcasting 6am- 12 Midnight daily, no music at all , it should have more and better interaction with the public via phone -ins , text etc.Alternatively combine Radio 1 and Lyric for the music slots but no popular music .All the music content is already on the digital broadcasting service on Saorview so there is no need to have music on the main FM/LW broadcasting service as well.I usually watch Freesat Sky programs and only watch sport and news on Saorview(RTé,TG4, TV3)

publicrealm

To save money RTÉ should have tv broadcasting 7am- midnight daily.Radio 2 should be shutdown asap as the material it broadcasts is already catered for by local independent radio.Pop, trivial matters , quizes and youth affairs.TG4 should run 12noon - 12 midnight daily.Radio 1 broadcasting 6am- 12 Midnight daily, no music at all , it should have more and better interaction with the public via phone -ins , text etc.Alternatively combine Radio 1 and Lyric for the music slots but no popular music .All the music content is already on the digital broadcasting service on Saorview so there is no need to have music on the main FM/LW broadcasting service as well.I usually watch Freesat Sky programs and only watch sport and news on Saorview(RTé,TG4, TV3)
Apart from the licence fee, RTE depends on advertising. Advertising follows listening figures.

RTÉ Radio 1 had a weekly reach of 1,393,000 (+48,000 Y-o-Y) in 2017. RTÉ 2fm’s weekly reach figure is up with 816,000 listeners or 22% of Adults 15+ (+71,000 Y-o-Y and +25,000 b-o-b). RTÉ lyric fm retains its 2% national share for Weekdays and has 304,000 listeners tuning in on a weekly basis, that’s a gain of 20,000 year-on-year.

https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2017/1026/915388-rte-announces-latest-jnlr-figures/

Perhaps you are a media expert - you seem to have very definite opinions - do you think your proposals might have any unintended consequences?

The Field Marshal

If the Irish citizenry is unable to sustain a SO then does it deserve a state to step in and fill the void?
There are many exceedingly wealthy Irish citizens but alas none of them exhibit cultural traits of any useful significance.

Eventualities

RTE feels financially precarious, and they have engineered a report that concludes the National Symphony Orchestra should be chucked out of the RTE nest
My take on this is the State should fund an Orchestra that would be free/inexpensive to the people to go and see some culture. A national tour or two a year, spot shows based on certain things and possibly collaborations with young Irish bands/producers for full-orchestra shows.

Tape it all on a 2/3 camera setup and broadcast it on RTÉ telly later and f**king finally bring a bit of culture and class to proceedings.

Eventualities

Well we dont have a state/government funded skiffle band or techno DJ.
Not permanently maintained ones at least.
What about Mark McCabe? Maniac 2000 resulted in a job for life for him, seemingly

silverharp

.......and to pay La Finucane's few hundred grand just for turning up and wheezily gossiping with her peers with negligible 'research '. At one stage it was €590,000 for 4 hours radio.
Even worse is the fact that in their bubble they really believe they are worth it. Root and branch reform/abolition is needed.
for the price of a bus ticket just get on a bus on pension day and you can listen to convos between old ladies, with more wit mind

fifilawe

Apart from the licence fee, RTE depends on advertising. Advertising follows listening figures.

RTÉ Radio 1 had a weekly reach of 1,393,000 (+48,000 Y-o-Y) in 2017. RTÉ 2fm’s weekly reach figure is up with 816,000 listeners or 22% of Adults 15+ (+71,000 Y-o-Y and +25,000 b-o-b). RTÉ lyric fm retains its 2% national share for Weekdays and has 304,000 listeners tuning in on a weekly basis, that’s a gain of 20,000 year-on-year.

https://www.rte.ie/about/en/press-office/press-releases/2017/1026/915388-rte-announces-latest-jnlr-figures/

Perhaps you are a media expert - you seem to have very definite opinions - do you think your proposals might have any unintended consequences?
I am not a media expert , but I know Crap when I see it, or hear it.These jnlr figs should taken with a large dose of sceptism and a pinch of snuff/salt.I know that hiring a presenter just to play music is cheaper than having a talkshow host who interviews and interrogates on the behalf of the citizenry "our leading politicians , business leaders, etc and discuss the big topics of the day/ country".I 'd rather RTE shut down for xHours through the night and maintain a single Full Scale Orchestra and to make it pay its way partly record and release Full works of some composers.i.e There are very few outstanding recordings of the Symphonies of Gustav Mahler , I do have the full set recorded over a number of years under the conductor Leonard Bernstein dating 1960s/1970s.

Last edited:

Travis Bickle

We should fund a state orchestra under the Art Dept.
If we had no theaters I'd suggest a state/Art Dept. one, so seeing as we've only the one Orchestra keep it. Put one of Enda Kenny's pals on the board even if he's no experience. It's only tradition. Grand job.

RTE should be 100% Irish produced programs. If they go down to one channel, fair enough.
RTE is rife with talentless lifers due to rampant nepotism, that includes the technical staff.
Lottie 'stank' Ryan ffs. My goldfish has more broadcasting skills. Have you seen the piss poor lighting on the LLS? Shadows. Just flick between the LLS and any other talk show. And they have never, ever got a good sound for guest musical acts. Dire.

Popular Threads

Most Replies