• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should the State legislate to allow Muslims to take prayer breaks at work?

potholedogger

My Son in Law is a Muslim and is quite devout in the practice of his faith. The practice of his faith requires that he prays 5 times each day at different times, in various different postures.

The times that he prays change each day according as to the movements of the Sun. He does not feel that the practice of him interupting his work schedule, to observe the devotions demanded by his faith, are accepted by his colleagues and management in his place of work.

He works in the HSE.

He is aware that his Christian colleagues, are called to prayer each day for the Angelus devotion and are facilitated in the workplace with colleagues interupting the work proceedures to observe the devotion.

I explained to him that as I understand matters, there is a right in the State by custom and practice to stop work and pray the Angelus. He considers it reasonable to be afforded a similar privilage to pray.

He believes the his colleagues would have a greater understanding of his spiritual needs if the Employers posted a time table for muslim prayer times in the workplace, just as they facilitate other religious icons in the HSE Buildings to assist the practice of Christian faith.

Should the Government legislate to allow Workers to pray at during work in the workplace?

Mullingar Ireland Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2002/10/14/1034561097760.html

Last edited:

truthisfree

My Son in Law is a Muslim and is quite devout in the practice of his faith. The practice of his faith requires that he prays 5 times each day at different times, in various different postures.

The times that he prays change each day according as to the movements of the Sun. He does not feel that the practice of him interupting his work schedule, to observe the devotions demanded by his faith, are accepted by his colleagues and management in his place of work.

He works in the HSE.

He is aware that his Christian colleagues, are called to prayer each day for the Angelus devotion and are facilitated in the workplace with colleagues interupting the work proceedures to observe the devotion.

I explained to him that as I understand matters, there is a right in the State by custom and practice to stop work and pray the Angelus. He considers it reasonable to be afforded a similar privilage to pray.

He believes the his colleagues would have a greater understanding of his spiritual needs if the Employers posted a time table for muslim prayer times in the workplace, just as they facilitate other religious icons in the HSE Buildings to assist the practice of Christian faith.

Should the Government legislate to allow Workers to pray at during work in the workplace?

Mullingar Ireland Accurate Prayer Times ????? ?????? , Qiblah, Qibla ????? ?????? Mosques (Masjids), Islamic Centers, Organizations and Muslim Owned Businesses, Athan Azan Adhan Salah Salat Software Sahor Sahar Imsak Iftar Starting Fast Breaking Fast
Aw would ya go away outta that, called to prayer....I don't recall that happening even in Secondary school....and they were brothers...

No, he should not have time off to pray, neither should anyone else either, you go to work to work, if that does not sit easy with him well he could consider a conversion, or moving to a more prayer friendly country.

potholedogger

He tells me that a case brought before the Australian Industrial Relations Commission, upheld the right of a Muslim to pray at work.

He believes he should take a similar case here.

ShankillFalls

He works in the HSE.

I have never in my 25 year professional life met anyone who stopped work to pray the Angelus.

Mind you I guess praying to sky fairies is no worse than people taking smoke breaks.

sport02

He works in the HSE.

I thought we were trying to get more PRODUCTIVITY under Croke Park Deal.
The state cannot afford five prayer breaks a day when pay cannot be cut under CPA.

Short answer. NO WAY.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Ok speaking as a rational atheist here...
Yes he should be allowed to stop for prayer. But the total amount of hours worked each day should be the same as anyone else. He can work around that to the agreement of his line manager. Stay a bit later or something. Say each break lasts 10 minutes. 5 times a day, say 3 of them are in work. So that's half an hour he can make up at the start or end of the day.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Mind you I guess praying to sky fairies is no worse than people taking smoke breaks.
Indeed sometimes I used to join the smokers for a break. Who says you have to smoke to take a rauchspause.
In one place, the company was secretly being run by the smoking cabal.

Blossie

Errr religion is religion, WORK is WORK, the 2 should be separate.Time off for praying my backside, if you allow it for one religion then you have to allow it for all. And what about us poor atheists? We end up covering for other people while they "pray". GET REAL or get a job that allows people to take time off to pray when their hearts desire.

gijoe

[/url]
Would you ever f off you lying bluffer. This does happen in any hospital nor any workplace in the country you turd.

potholedogger

I have never in my 25 year professional life met anyone who stopped work to pray the Angelus.

Now I believe there is no one there to pray to!

Have you never once seen someone bless themselves when they pass a Church, or a Statue, before they eat a meal or say grace before or after meals, seen our Parliament pray before a session of Parliament?

The Muslim faith requires that the prayers be said at particular times. The devotion cannot be fulfilled by praying at a later time.

Bleu Poppy

I happened to be walking down the emergency staircase there during the week. Who did I find, only two Muslim men praying to Allah. They had little carpets pointing at a 45 degree angle (presumably facing the sun). I'm not an employer, but if I was, I'd just let them pray and not make a big deal out of whereby a "formal procedure" needs to be put in place by some HR Nazis.
They are not pagans. They face Mecca, not the sun.

ruserious

As you were actively involved in the Angelus thread and not once mentioned your muslim nephew, I find it hard to believe that the OP is a genuine case, but more some hypothetical issue you are raising to highlight the hypocracy of Catholics, which is fine by me, and says that he works in the HSE to draw an emotional connention to Savita.
Other than that, interesting points.

pippakin

He works in the HSE.

No they should not, ludicrous idea. All religions should be banned from the workplace.

Radix

That bit there is the part of your OP that made me realise that you are extracting the urine.

Dogg away in a few potholes if that's what get's you going, but don't expect me to believe the above part of your OP.

potholedogger

As you were actively involved in the Angelus thread and not once mentioned your muslim nephew, I find it hard to believe that the OP is a genuine case, but more some hypothetical issue you are raising to highlight the hypocracy of Catholics, which is fine by me, and says that he works in the HSE to draw an emotional connention to Savita.
Other than that, interesting points.

Kareem is my Son in Law not my Nephew. He is also the Father of 2 of my Grandchildren. Will my Grandchildren be allowed to pary in the Workplace if they grow up to embrace a particular faith?

ruserious

Kareem is my Son in Law not my Nephew. He is also the Father of 2 of my Grandchildren. Will my Grandchildren be allowed to pary in the Workplace if they grow up to embrace a particular faith?
You know well my stance on Religion.

southwestkerry

If some one wants to pray fine. But not on the clock.

potholedogger

No they should not, ludicrous idea. All religions should be banned from the workplace.
My Son in Law works in a Hospital where the Mass is piped throught the entire Hospital and patients and Staff join in the prayer. The Hospital is now owned and managed by the HSE.

MayoDub

I don't think it needs to be specifically enshrined in legislation.
I do, however, think it should be a guideline given to employers to respect prayer in workplace assuming it can be practically catered for.

I know that Muslim doctors in the nearest Hospital to me do pray and there may even be a place in the building allocated or used for that purpose.
As long as productivity isn't affected and time is given back in lieu in terms of shortened lunch breaks or extra working time to compensate for the prayer time.