• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should there be a moratorium on acceptance of applications for third-level nursing courses?

davidcameron

The public sector recruitment moratorium means that newly-qualified nurses cannot find permanent employment, thus causing most of them to emigrate, even though their training has been funded by the taxpayer.

Given that it will be impossible to have a stable career in nursing in Ireland for the foreseeable future, it might make sense for third-level colleges to suspend acceptance of further applications for nursing courses until the recruitment moratorium is lifted, just like the lack of further Garda recruitment means that Templemore is not being used frequently at present.

After all, what's the point in pursuing a career in nursing if one cannot find a stable career in it in Ireland?

firefly123

There are private nurses. There are no private Garda.

davidcameron

There are private nurses. There are no private Garda.
Public-sector nurses are the only nurses who have job security. The moratorium means that there is no job security for newly-qualified nurses in Ireland. I made the comparison between nursing and policing in public-sector terms. I didn't compare policing to private security.

turdsl

A good point.Reilly put the finishing touch to nursing in this country when he told them
to take the yellow pack cut price jobs or go and prop up the counter of a fast food outlet.

However, he is not the first minister to encourage the youth to leave this country,
No future here.

Papillon

So if you want to train as a nurse you'd have to go abroad?

I'd rather we kept training nurses and gradually replaced the older less qualified/formally educated generation.

I know it's a feckless comment but we shouldn't be giving up on our young people.

ruserious

How many young 'wans' are doing beautician courses or hair dressing courses in the lower degree colleges? Bit of an epidemic by all accounts.

ManUnited

The public sector recruitment moratorium means that newly-qualified nurses cannot find permanent employment, thus causing most of them to emigrate, even though their training has been funded by the taxpayer.

Given that it will be impossible to have a stable career in nursing in Ireland for the foreseeable future, it might make sense for third-level colleges to suspend acceptance of further applications for nursing courses until the recruitment moratorium is lifted, just like the lack of further Garda recruitment means that Templemore is not being used frequently at present.

After all, what's the point in pursuing a career in nursing if one cannot find a stable career in it in Ireland?
Apart from being seriously short sighted, this is a strange idea. People choose an area of study for their own benefit first and foremost, and for their own ends be that working in Ireland, overseas or not at all.

davidcameron

Apart from being seriously short sighted, this is a strange idea. People choose an area of study for their own benefit first and foremost, and for their own ends be that working in Ireland, overseas or not at all.
Young Irish people who are determined to become cops have to emigrate because of the recruitment moratorium. Why should it be different for those who want to become nurses?

At least with teaching there is still a chance of getting employment in Ireland because no other public-sector profession has ratios between the number of public-sector workers and the number of people they have to care for, i.e. pupil-teacher ratio.

In a positive step, there is provision for a panel system for fixed-term teachers at second level, which will give a degree of career certainty and job security. Such teachers will be prioritised for appointment to permanent positions when they become available. A similar system already operates well at primary level.
See more at: http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/young-teachers-protected-from-worst-of-the-cuts-29093726.html#sthash.JOwj4pnS.dpuf

Inda Kenny

Young Irish people who are determined to become cops have to emigrate because of the recruitment moratorium. Why should it be different for those who want to become nurses?

At least with teaching there is still a chance of getting employment in Ireland because no other public-sector profession has ratios between the number of public-sector workers and the number of people they have to care for, i.e. pupil-teacher ratio.

Not at the moment there isn't. Many of the primary and secondary teachers are in the Middle East because of lack of work here. Last week on Linkedin saw an ad looking for 75 teacher in UAE. Also many schools are offering 0 hours contracts according to the TUI union guy on the radio this morning. According to one of the recruiting agency there are too many teachers because when the recession hit people piled into teaching.

davidcameron

Money that is spent on the training of students who want to become nurses but emigrate after graduation would be better spent on the making of improvements to the health service.

freewillie

Why not accept that for the forseeable future our young graduates will have to emigrate?
Educate them for emigration so that at least they will be able to avail of decent job opportunities abroad and not to have to pretend they are having a great time cleaning the toilets on Bondi Beach before going off picking tomatoes in the outback to justify a visa extension

firefly123

Public-sector nurses are the only nurses who have job security. The moratorium means that there is no job security for newly-qualified nurses in Ireland. I made the comparison between nursing and policing in public-sector terms. I didn't compare policing to private security.
So only courses that offer job security at the end should be offered? Does accounting or gender studies or archeology offer job security? There are positions available for nurses in the private sector and there will be in the public. Are you trying to make some sort of point in a roundabout way? I'm full of Easter egg right now and not really getting it if you are.

davidcameron

So only courses that offer job security at the end should be offered? Does accounting or gender studies or archeology offer job security? There are positions available for nurses in the private sector and there will be in the public. Are you trying to make some sort of point in a roundabout way? I'm full of Easter egg right now and not really getting it if you are.
Nursing students are more likely to emigrate than accounting, gender studies or archaeology students. Furthermore, most graduate nurses got work in the public sector before the current economic crisis. There are more opportunities for accounting students in the private sector than the public sector.

There is no hidden meaning behind what I say.

firefly123

Nursing students are more likely to emigrate than accounting, gender studies or archaeology students. Furthermore, most graduate nurses got work in the public sector before the current economic crisis. There are more opportunities for accounting students in the private sector than the public sector.

There is no hidden meaning behind what I say.
There is no meaning at all behind what you say as far as I can see.

Auld Cynic

A good point.Reilly put the finishing touch to nursing in this country when he told them
to take the yellow pack cut price jobs or go and prop up the counter of a fast food outlet.

However, he is not the first minister to encourage the youth to leave this country,
No future here.
You mean the late unlamented Brians Lenihan senior and junior?

niall78

Is this just an anti-nurse rant by the OP? This poster thinks so.

niall78

Nursing students are more likely to emigrate than accounting, gender studies or archaeology students.
Any proof to back up any of this? Whole groups of highly trained graduates in multiple disciplines have had to emigrate in the last five years not just the evil nurses. Should we just suspend all training of young people in case they are forced into leaving the country due to lack of opportunity?