Should Under 21s be Barred from Social Housing

ruserious

With the exception of very pressing and exceptional circumstances, should under 21s be barred from applying for social housing? The social housing waiting list is long enough as it is, and we don't want a situation where school leavers apply for social housing as a coming of age ritual.

In my view, social housing should be the last resort for those needing shelter and should also not be for life.

Young people should be encouraged to work and to pay their own way via rent or a mortgage. By having easy access to such a lucrative offer of social housing, you are in danger of killing incentive to work and incentive not to rely on government.

This is not an attack on those who need social housing. I am massively in favour of a safety bounce rather than a safety net. The key difference being that, if you need help; you will get it. It will aim to get you back on your feet ASAP and will be quite generous. However a safety net can become all too encompassing and generations of families can inevitably get caught in the net where the welfare code becomes a second language.

For those already in social housing, I believe in periodic reviews of income to decide if the levels of council rent should rise. If finances turn good, then you should be expected to pay the council market rent value.

I believe that by barring under 21s (unless exceptional circumstances) from applying for social housing, you may break that link of generational welfare dependence.

an modh coinniolach

Your grasp on what it means to be a citizen of a republic is tenuous at best.

You should join Fine Gael post-haste.

eoghanacht

Rent reviews do occur on an annual basis.

eoghanacht

You're also to report to them if any pay rise etc.

Mushroom

fergal1790

With the exception of very pressing and exceptional circumstances, should under 21s be barred from applying for social housing? The social housing waiting list is long enough as it is, and we don't want a situation where school leavers apply for social housing as a coming of age ritual.

In my view, social housing should be the last resort for those needing shelter and should also not be for life.

Young people should be encouraged to work and to pay their own way via rent or a mortgage. By having easy access to such a lucrative offer of social housing, you are in danger of killing incentive to work and incentive not to rely on government.

This is not an attack on those who need social housing. I am massively in favour of a safety bounce rather than a safety net. The key difference being that, if you need help; you will get it. It will aim to get you back on your feet ASAP and will be quite generous. However a safety net can become all too encompassing and generations of families can inevitably get caught in the net where the welfare code becomes a second language.

For those already in social housing, I believe in periodic reviews of income to decide if the levels of council rent should rise. If finances turn good, then you should be expected to pay the council market rent value.

I believe that by barring under 21s (unless exceptional circumstances) from applying for social housing, you may break that link of generational welfare dependence.
I like the idea of barring those under maybe 30 from applying for council housing but the problem with allowing "exceptional circumstances" is that they all then arrive at the council offices with reams of letters from doctors and other professionals and politicians demanding they be housed due to their "exceptional circumstances".

I would be more interested in barring those with more than 3 arrests/convictions in the previous 5 years from any housing assistance

ShoutingIsLeadership

Incentivise people out of inter-generational poverty, by making them homeless? Interesting.

I guess it's like when FG vows to make work pay...people might think that this means raising the minimum wage, etc., but for FG it means cutting welfare for the unemployed

hammer

Dont be worrying.

You can earn up to €49,000 as a single person and qualify.

Maybe look at that threshold first.

hammer

Incentivise people out of inter-generational poverty, by making them homeless? Interesting.

I guess it's like when FG vows to make work pay...people might think that this means raising the minimum wage, etc., but for FG it means cutting welfare for the unemployed
They did raise the minimum wage.

3 times I believe and reversed a cut that FF wanted to implement.

Cutting welfare for U25s. Jaysus that was terrible.

livingstone

Your OP is a good argument that there should be reviews of circumstances once someone qualifies for social housing. Fine.

Your OP also makes a good argument more generally that the welfare net should be geared towards getting people back on their feet. Fine.

What it doesn't do is prove that a 21 year old in need should be less deserving of support than a 25 year old in need. Nor does it prove that a 40 year old in less need than a 21 year old should be given preference.

So how about this as a radical idea. Decide what is a sensible, appropriate and effective means of determining if someone actually needs social housing and supporting them so they no longer need it. And apply that system to all adults regardless of age.

ruserious

So homelessness is inevitable if you take away social housing for under 21s? Would it not be better to ensure that young people can find work, offer a rent tax credit and stop the generational dependence culture.

ShoutingIsLeadership

So homelessness is inevitable if you take away social housing for under 21s? Would it not be better to ensure that young people can find work, offer a rent tax credit and stop the generational dependence culture.

Well, people will get social housing if they qualify, only. Age is irrelevant. So, if somebody under 21 meets the criteria, and are disbarred by age, they are at risk of homelessness.

This issue has been resolved by ceasing the building of social housing.

ruserious

I come from a very working class area, never heard of any 21 year olds been given corporation houses.
Your changing the goal posts there. That may only be because of the waiting list but how many 21 year olds are on the list after applying a few years previously.

sadmal

Dont be worrying.

You can earn up to €49,000 as a single person and qualify.

Maybe look at that threshold first.
Yes but you'd be waiting till you're in your fifties to get social housing if you're single and childless.

Mushroom

I come from a very working class area, never heard of any 21 year olds been given corporation houses.
Nor have I.

And, if you very carefully re-read my post, you'll notice that I never claimed that there were!

What I wrote was that, in order to be eligible for rent allowance or HAP, 21 year olds need to apply to be put on the housing list.

D

Deleted member 17573

Well, people will get social housing if they qualify, only. Age is irrelevant. So, if somebody under 21 meets the criteria, and are disbarred by age, they are at risk of homelessness.

This issue has been resolved by ceasing the building of social housing.
Most of those who will ultimately end up in private housing are still living with their parents at 21. Why can those taking or intending to take the public housing route not do the same?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies