• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should we appoint a 'Regulator' for Religions in Ireland

Spirit Of Newgrange

''Religion is the Opium of the people'' said Karl Marx.

Nobody can doubt the power of Religion. Its a force which has driven so many momentous events. All the way down through history. When its good it can be a force for good deeds and good behaviours. But when it goes bad, all hell breaks loose ; crusades, magdelene laundries, suicide bombers, genocide, censorship, terrorism and bad fashion choices. When a restaurant fails the hygiene standards it gets shut down. Why not have a zero to five star rating for religious businesses. Tell the public that a poorly starred church/mosque/temple/cult has been deemed to be dodgy and doesnt deserve financial contributions or even the time of day.

Currently we have regulators for the food industry, banking (allegedly), hotels, schools, airlines, taxi's etc. Why not religion ? What do you think ? Yes 'regulate it' for the common good , or no 'i am free to worship whatever looney i wish, its my God-given right'.

Opinions please. Keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
Hate preacher Abu Qatada goes free as judge sparks outrage | The Sun |News|Politics
Ireland's Magdalene laundries scandal must be laid to rest | Mary Raftery | Comment is free | The Guardian

Human Sacrifice Among the Maya

Analyzer

The one thing that this country is missing is one additional quango ??

R

Ramps

If the world keeps going the way it's going, it's not beyond the bounds of possibility.

S

simeongrimes

What's the guy who used to do the banks doing these days? Put him in charge and then in a few years we can wonder how the human sacrifices were allowed to get out of hand.

stopdoingstuff

No way. Everything that should be illegal already is, and we have the police and the courts.

borntorum

What about a P.ie regulator?

I nominate Mary Queen of the Gael.

Mattarigna

''Religion is the Opium of the people'' said Karl Marx.

Nobody can doubt the power of Religion. Its a force which has driven so many momentous events. All the way down through history. When its good it can be a force for good deeds and good behaviours. But when it goes bad, all hell breaks loose ; crusades, magdelene laundries, suicide bombers, genocide, censorship, terrorism and bad fashion choices. When a restaurant fails the hygiene standards it gets shut down. Why not have a zero to five star rating for religious businesses. Tell the public that a poorly starred church/mosque/temple/cult has been deemed to be dodgy and doesnt deserve financial contributions or even the time of day.

Currently we have regulators for the food industry, banking (allegedly), hotels, schools, airlines, taxi's etc. Why not religion ? What do you think ? Yes 'regulate it' for the common good , or no 'i am free to worship whatever looney i wish, its my God-given right'.

Opinions please. Keep the discussion polite and respectful at all times.
Hate preacher Abu Qatada goes free as judge sparks outrage | The Sun |News|Politics
Ireland's Magdalene laundries scandal must be laid to rest | Mary Raftery | Comment is free | The Guardian

Human Sacrifice Among the Maya
I'm sure that you support the ideal of the division of Church and State, no? If so, wouldn't it work both ways, i.e. the State not interfering in Religious Affairs?

Red_93

No. First we should address how the existing regulators in the entertainment industry allowed this to broadcast:

[video=youtube;jPTCyslJPB8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPTCyslJPB8[/video]

Radix

What this country needs is a good kango.

Asparagus

God has been on - with all the issues of religious malpractice and sectarian hatred in the country he wants Ireland to consolidate its religions to cut down on heaven's administration overheads.

Hence forth the two main religions will be Chrislam and Hinjew.

Anyone who takes issue with His decision can move to Mayo* and then take it up with Him in the afterlife.

*He was thinking of Limbo but He wanted more of a deterrent.

stopdoingstuff

Plus, I plan to start my own branch of the Rastafarian movement, and for one reason or another, I would prefer not to be supervised. Our focus will be recreational.

The Owl

We'd have to have a member from every religion under the sun on this quango, and even that wouldn't work because those who spoke on behalf of Muslims or Catholics would demand more speaking time and voting privilege as their members were in the majority. And then the atheists would demand a place, us being a democracy and then the Satan Worshippers would be demanding a chair and everyone would walk out when they walked in, and it really would be like every other bloody quango in Ireland come to think of it. And it would cost an unholy amount of money.

M

MrFunkyBoogaloo

Only if we can call him/her the Religulator.

...with sequels too.

Asparagus

We'd have to have a member from every religion under the sun on this quango, and even that wouldn't work because those who spoke on behalf of Muslims or Catholics would demand more speaking time and voting privilege as their members were in the majority. And then the atheists would demand a place, us being a democracy and then the Satan Worshippers would be demanding a chair and everyone would walk out when they walked in, and it really would be like every other bloody quango in Ireland come to think of it. And it would cost an unholy amount of money.
Can you imagine the cost of running the canteen??
Food,
Halal Food,
Kosher Food,
Live Chickens,
Bricks (for the mormons)

Asparagus

Can you imagine the cost of running the canteen??
Food,
Halal Food,
Kosher Food,
Live Chickens,
Bricks (for the mormons)
Although wWe could appoint Pat Neary since he's available.

If we played our cards right he'd have us out of Merkels clutches and under the protection of Satan