• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should we be automatic organ donors?

Should we be automatic organ donors?

• Yes

Votes: 185 57.8%
  • No

Votes: 122 38.1%
  • Other/Don't know

Votes: 13 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Schomberg

Mods can we have a poll on this? Yes or No responses?

We all know there's a shortage of suitable organs out there and without getting into the nitty gritty of will so and sos heart be shipped outside the state etc etc, do you agree or disagree, in principle, that we should all be considered automatic organ donors unless specifically stated otherwise?

I've no experience with organ donation or transplants but if I dropped dead tomorrow I'd hope that whatever I have that might give someone a few more years or just a better quality of life, would be taken and used.

ruserious

We all know there's a shortage of suitable organs out there and without getting into the nitty gritty of will so and sos heart be shipped outside the state etc etc, do you agree or disagree, in principle, that we should all be considered automatic organ donors unless specifically stated otherwise?

I've no experience with organ donation or transplants but if I dropped dead tomorrow I'd hope that whatever I have that might give someone a few more years or just a better quality of life, would be taken and used.
I wonder if someone got your heart, would they indeed have a change of heart regarding the UK petunia

In seriousness though, ya, it should be opt out.

Northsideman

Fair enough if you have consented but others may have all sorts of issues on religious and moral grounds and that needs to be respected. By the way if you dropped dead your organs would in all likelihood be useless, they are normally harvested from those kept alive (if that is the word?) by a machine until consent is given.

I do not agree with presumed consent or worst still forced harvesting of organs.

Schomberg

I wonder if someone got your heart, would they indeed have a change of heart regarding the UK petunia
You've foiled my plan!!

Schomberg

Fair enough if you have consented but others may have all sorts of issues on religious and moral grounds and that needs to be respected. By the way if you dropped dead your organs would in all likelihood be useless, they are normally harvested from those kept alive (if that is the word?) by a machine until consent is given.

I do not agree with presumed consent or worst still forced harvesting of organs.
It'd be the reverse of what we currently have. If you've a problem with organ donation on religious grounds (or whatever) then you carry a card to say so. Otherwise your organs would be harvested.

Religious reasons aside I don't see why you should have any problems with something you no longer have any use for going to help a fellow human being. Seems completely illogical and erm, fairly cruel.

Samell

In a word 'yes'

So far this year 150 people have died on our roads that is 150 hearts, 300 kidneys, 300 corneas, 150 livers et cetera. I realize that not all organs would be viable for transplant but even 50% would improve the life of over 500 people instantly. Those 500 people who are probably taking up valuable health resources that would be freed up reducing our deficit along the way.

Maybe we should have certain DNA information on our shiny plastic drivers licences to enable suitable recipients to be found quicker.

slippy wicket

Couldn't agree more with the op, it should be opt out based.
Have a doner card anyway, but most people don't bother, but would have no issue with it.

Northsideman

Protestant/Catholic=Irish

Absolutely. If I'm not mistaken this legislation will be passed in 2014 in Wales.

The simple fact is that most are more than happy to provide their organs to save the lives of others, but they are just too lazy to get the card.

The nutters who want to opt out still can, so everyones happy, particularly all those people and their families who can get another chance.

gijoe

No. How can you have a right to 'bodily integrity' if you actually did not have that right upon death?

Mercurial

I've got an organ donor card, and have made my wishes known to my family but my understanding is that they could still override those wishes in the event of my death. I would like the law to be such that this was not possible (though I'm certain my family would respect my wishes).

I think I would be more comfortable with an opt-in system whereby it was made especially easy for someone to do so (like, include it in a box when a person fills out a passport application for example).

With that said, I'm not sure I see anything in wrong in principle with the idea that when we die the right to use our bodies goes to the state. I can't think of a reason why our bodies, or parts of them, should necessarily become the property of our next of kin automatically.

gijoe

Because dead people don't have rights?
I doubt that. The Supreme Court has interpreted the Constitution to include a right to 'bodily integrity'. Therefore any legislation to take away that right as in organ donation without consent would be unconstitutional.

Angler

In theory , it's a fine idea . In practice , I fear any automatic right to harvest your organs would inevitably be open to abuse .

Last edited:

Northsideman

Mercurial

I doubt that. The Supreme Court has interpreted the Constitution to include a right to 'bodily integrity'. Therefore any legislation to take away that right as in organ donation without consent would be unconstitutional.
I'm fairly certain the Constitution only applies to living people. On the account you give above it looks like cremation is a violation of the right to bodily integrity. Certainly it ought not apply to dead people, though if you're not actually dead when the organs are harvested then that might be a loophole.

shutuplaura

Probably a stupid question but is there a shortage or organs for transplant? I thought we were getting them from China now?

Northsideman

I am 100% in favour of an opt out scheme.
Due to personal circunstances, I have experienced how important organ transplants are.
I have experienced patients who have recieved new organs and are now enjoying life.
I have experiences patients who have unfortunately died after organ transplants.
I have experienced patients dying whilst on the organ transplant list.

For anyone who is afraid of donating organs after their death, let me reassure you there is no need to be afraid.
The death will be verified by a doctor. The cessation of all brain activity is verified. Once this is verified, the patient is dead and all its brain functionality has been "deleted".
The patient has completely lost the ability to be aware of its surroundings, cannot think, cannot control its breathing, and the central nervous system for the complete body has failed.

Once the brain death of the patient is verified, the doctors should discuss the harvesting of organs for transplantation.
The patient will still be on a life support machine.
This freaks out some relatives as they accuse the doctors of just trying to keep the organs fresh.
The organs are removed in the operating theater with the same care to detail as in any other operation.
The donated organs will be removed by the various teams of doctors.
No pain killing medice will be used in this procedure.
Occassionally, medicine will be administered to relax the muscles.
During the removal of the organs, it will be decided if the organs are suitable for transplation.
After the removal of the organ it will be transported as quickly as possible to the relevant transplant centre.
The reciever of the organ is already at the transplant centre when the organ arrives.
This organ could possibly save someones life.
The donors body will be then available for burial.

It is a difficult call for relatives but I know if I was in the situation that I needed an organ I would take it.
Therefore, I want by organs to be used for transplation after my death.
Please clear this up for me when you say the death is verified by the doctor, is the person legally certified as dead at this point?

DDarcy

I would say no. But it should be easier to register your interest etc. There are definitely health concerns which need to be looked at so it may be worthwhile to have GPs easily able to sign you up if you want to do it.