Should we bring back the Punt?

kerdasi amaq

Last edited:

davehiggz

Celente is rarely wrong and it doesn't take a trends analyst to see that the Euro has completely failed. The same currency and interest rates for many different countries was doomed to fail from the outset.

We need to leave the Euro and adopt our own currency.

vinoboy

Why not sterling ?
Is there a case for ROI partnering up more closely with it's biggest trading partner and working their way through this crisis rather than being beholden to German banks or is that all too psychologically difficult to get in to bed with GB ?

truthflyer

Either way we have to leave the Euro

Then we have two choices, go the Sterling route or go back to the Punt at great cost to the retail industry.

I just hope this time around we call it someting better, perhaps IRL$ or something along those lines

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
I will print the old punt notes on placards at the next protest. Which is when???

commonman

Either way we have to leave the Euro

Then we have two choices, go the Sterling route or go back to the Punt at great cost to the retail industry.

I just hope this time around we call it someting better, perhaps IRL$ or something along those lines
money alone does not make a man happy .we might have to go down the road of some kind of bartering system

DCon

Expose the lot of them

We need to leave the Euro and adopt our own currency.
Backed by what? The Zimbabwe Dollar (1.00 ZWD = 0.00276319 USD)

Get real to have a working currency you have to have something to back it, we have NOTHING, why do you think the IMF are here. Maybe you think that the UK should let us attach the punt nua to sterling at a rate similar to the above.

Luigi Vampa

If FF had been in charge of the Punt, what would our intrests rates be now ?
20% ? 30 %, 40 %
How many wheelbarrow loads of the punt would it take to buy a load of bread ?

This Country

Well, that's what McWilliams has been suggesting for the last year and a bit. He makes a very compelling argument. The trouble is, with our debts in Euro, this would probably come with a default.

The sterling argument was put forward by Daniel Hannan the other day - There is a way out for Ireland, and Britain should stand ready to offer it – Telegraph Blogs. While it makes sense economically, I don't see it happening politically. I can't imagine us using coins with the Queen (or later King Charles) on them. We could possibly use "Irish pounds sterling", the same as normal sterling, but with a harp instead of a head, but I don't see that happening either. A monetary union with the UK would be preferable to a simple pegging of the punt to sterling, but that would (in the EU's eyes) open the door to other mini monetary unions within the EU, which would undermine the power of the Euro.

In my view, the most likely thing - if we left the euro - would be to revert to the punt, peg it to sterling, but have close consultation between the Dept of Finance and the Bank of England, in the spirit of the Good Friday Agreement (a la North South Ministerial Council).

TommyO'Brien

Celente is rarely wrong
ROTFLMAO

Rarely wrong???

Jesus. He is wrong more often than Cowen. (OK. He is not that bad! No-one is.) His many many wrong predictions . . . em . . . famously 'disappear' from his websites, leaving his few right predictions up. He and his supporters then point to the suitably edited list that only contains his right predictions as 'proof' of his 'brilliant' history of getting predictions right. (The battles to remove criticism of him from Wikipedia are notorious.)

He is also famous for giving ambiguous predictions which then he claims were proven true when his prediction was so ambiguous as to be meaningless.

Others have proven wildly wrong, like his prediction how the 21st century will see "The return of individuality [which] will spell an end to the multibillion-dollar fashion industry. The bulk of day-to-day apparel will consist of durable mass-produced casual wear." Has the fashion industry ended? No.

He also predicted that "Together, these and numerous other trends will help usher in a new renaissance in thought. It will be an era of intense individuality directed toward common goals. And like the European Renaissance of the fourteenth through seventeenth centuries, the global renaissance ahead will be a time of rich intellectual, philosophical, and artistic achievement--a period of genius in the world's history." In fact we got X Factor and I'm a Celebrity - Get me out of here."

He also predicted that in the 21st century "the next social upheaval in America won't come from Generation X but from today's teens and preteens. They will be tomorrow's revolutionaries. And just as the boomers protested the Vietnam War, these kids are going to march against materialism and greed. They'll be driven to it for a number of reasons, one being economic. They are not going to have the same opportunities that the boomers or even Generation Xers have had. Conspicuous consumption simply won't be an option for them." In fact some of that was already happening when he predicted, but has not happened any more than was already the case in the late 20th century.

He often pulls a set of simple tricks - predict something in the future that had already begun before he made his prediction and was obviously going to happen. Or he makes predictions so ambiguous as to be open to any interpretation, or so non-specific as to be meaningless. Where a specific prediction does not happen, it mysteriously disappears from his websites. Or a prediction for a specific year that happens years later is . . . em . . . redated to match what actually happens. Or make a prediction so patently obvious that anyone with half a brain knows it is going to happen.

He has got some things right, but many many things wrong.

I'm sure you genuinely believe that he is a brilliant predictor. Many people are tricked into believing that by the doctoring of the records to remove the many ones that didn't happen, with the editing of his Wikipedia article to remove criticisms and examples of where he got things hilariously wrong, all too typical of the willingness of his devotees to doctor facts to perpetuate the myths. Though those in the US who mention the mysteriously missing many wrong predictions are usually subjected to constant abuse by his devotees.

You can see some of his predictions below. As you will see, a lot are ambiguous or meaningless, or patiently obvious, or totally wrong.

Welcome to the millennium | Psychology Today

SlickWilly

Think of sleemheen capitalist scum raising prices again as they did with the introduction of the euro!

kerdasi amaq

Backed by what? The Zimbabwe Dollar (1.00 ZWD = 0.00276319 USD)

Get real to have a working currency you have to have something to back it, we have NOTHING, why do you think the IMF are here. Maybe you think that the UK should let us attach the punt nua to sterling at a rate similar to the above.
Backed by the same thing that backs the Euro. Nothing. Do you know what a fiat currency is?

Last edited:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies