Should We cull the National Herd?

cozzy121

It's plain to see that with the advent of the Fodder Crisis as usual farmers have allowed greed to dictate their decisions.
They cannot feed they cattle they have not only due to the poor weather they've experienced, but also to the fact they have too many of the poor creatures.
I think the department of agriculture should, on animal welfare grounds, audit farmers and their herds and put down the excess that the farmers obviously cannot feed.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/fodder-crisis-proves-we-have-too-many-cows-1.3452925

Fodder crisis proves we have too many cows ....This gross negligence is putting ordinary farmers and their families in jeopardy.

The 2012/13 fodder crisis was a warning shot that Ireland may not be able to produce enough fodder for its then almost seven million cattle.

Yet instead of looking long and hard at the sustainability of the beef and dairy sector, the industry doubled down by increasing the dairy herd by over 300,000 cows since milk quotas were lifted in 2015. This reckless gamble was celebrated as though it were a stroke of genius.

GabhaDubh

Politicians are people.

The Field Marshal

Ireland needs to expand its beef herd .

As matters stand a tripling of the existing numbers could easily be handled given the right investment t.

runwiththewind

Why is the taxpayer picking up the tap?

silverharp

if any group of people should be used to cycles its farmers, if their model is "I can make a profit if nothing goes wrong" they can get up the yard.

FOURGREENFIELDS

If a survey was carried out to establish the glut and have a cull of politicians, quangos, public bodies and lazy good for nothing, fat arsed middle/senior management in the public sector then I am with you.

cozzy121

Ireland needs to expand its beef herd .

As matters stand a tripling of the existing numbers could easily be handled given the right investment t.
investment in what?
Keeping them in stalls?
Growing fodder in green houses?
Mass producing low quality beef ala Brazil/Argentina/USA?

Destiny's Soldier

Ireland needs to expand the national herd but farmers cannot be depending on putting cattle on grass by March 1st.

They need to have silage sufficient to May a 2 year capacity of Hay saved. It would also be advisable to have their own planted Fodder Beet.

It's not complicated. Farmers who are out of fodder should probably consider getting out of farming. Some are just not up for the job.

In the past, farmers had sons who worked the farm. Now they have fewer sons and sons less inclined to want to work on the farm.

The Field Marshal

investment in what?
Keeping them in stalls?
Plenty of empty green field for more cows.
Irish steaks are the best in the entire world.

Bea C

investment in what?
Keeping them in stalls?
Wow: you know your stuff :roll:

Roll_On

It's hard to imagine the state brazenly subsidizing another of Ireland's industries when they hit a snag. Sugar production was let go to the wall, Crystal/glass the same, paper production the same. What is the criteria for having your private business subsidized whenever it gets into a bit of difficulty?

'orebel

It's hard to imagine the state brazenly subsidizing another of Ireland's industries when they hit a snag. Sugar production was let go to the wall, Crystal/glass the same, paper production the same. What is the criteria for having your private business subsidized whenever it gets into a bit of difficulty?
Get into banking.

cozzy121

Wow: you know your stuff :roll:
whilst, your display of knowledge on the subject has left me in awe....

https://www.independent.ie/business/farming/beef/we-aspire-to-5-of-the-european-beef-market-argentines-demand-much-bigger-eu-beef-quota-36226347.html

...The Taosieach was speaking in the Dáil as farmers took to the Dublin streets to demonstrate against an EU offer to buy 70,000 tonnes of beef as part of a trade deal now under negotiation with South American states. The farmers warn that farm and meat processing standards in countries like Brazil and Argentina are far below those in the EU, allowing the imports to unfairly undercut home produce.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/business/cattle-antiobiotics.html

Ben Holland holds a Mason jar, tilting it slightly to show the powdery 90 milligrams of the antibiotic tylosin inside.

“It’s about the amount that one animal gets in a day,” he explains, in a small factory that produces feed for 48,000-odd cattle packed in pens in Tulia, Tex., south of Amarillo. Nearby, rumbling steam towers turn corn kernels into flakes.

Dr. Holland is the director of research at Cactus Feeders, a feedlot giant. During a recent visit, I found myself surrounded by men with Ph.D.s and cowboy hats like Dr. Holland. Several wore jackets bearing drug company logos that were sure to smell of steamed corn and flatulent cattle by day’s end.

Behind Dr. Holland, antibiotics were stacked in large bags rising to his shoulders. Every day, cattle here, whether sick or healthy, are given antibiotics in their feed.

Last edited:

wombat

Daft idea. We have had a long wet winter and now feed has to be imported so internet nutter thinks we have too many cows. Just because you're an expert in spouting bullsh1t, it doesn't make you an expert on animal welfare.:lol:

Bea C

Gurdiev77

When I read the thread title I thought you meant us !.... might not be a bad idea mind you .

cozzy121

My point is that Irish product is marketed as the epitome of the opposite of the South American.
Which I would agree with. The field marshal wants us to triple the size of our beef herd when our farmers cannot grass feed the herd as it is now. The only way this could be done is to stall feed them, like they do in Brazil, Argentina & USA which would lead us to crap quality, antibiotic ridden produce.

Dasayev

Don't know if we have too many cattle or if it's poor management.

However, there does seem to be a policy of growth for growth's sake. Farmers are expected to produce more and more and for very little return. And to what ends? Do we really need to be exporting so much around the world?

A different food policy may be needed that takes into account climate change, as well as other important factors around agriculture that isn't putting unnecessary pressure on farmers, animals or the countryside.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies