Votes: 27 62.8%
  • No

Votes: 15 34.9%
  • I'm not bothered either way

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FrankSpeaks

Is it possible to set up a poll on this question?

In the last few days I have come to the conclusion that we should have a GE before the Budget.

I believe it would clear the air and give people a realistic insight into the state of the finances. It would give the new government a mandate to make the necessary cuts and help stabilise the lending rates to which Ireland is subject to on the international markets.

What do p.ie members think?
<mod> Added poll

Last edited by a moderator:

kerdasi amaq

We must get rid of this Fianna Fáil government as soon as possible.

Their replacements can't be as bad as them.

Expatriot

There should be no democratic input into any major decisions in this country. 90% are not fit to know what is good for them. Another leaders from a well got political familt should be appointed and we should all accept whatever they deem best. Democracy will bring instablity.

kerdasi amaq

Oh, since when has there been any "democratic" input into the decisions of the government?

FrankSpeaks

We must get rid of this Fianna Fáil government as soon as possible.

Their replacements can't be as bad as them.
Why do you say this?

Do you not think that the next government is going to introduce an even tougher budget? You are delusional to think otherwise!

imokyrok

Why do you say this?

Do you not think that the next government is going to introduce an even tougher budget? You are delusional to think otherwise!
It's not about how tough the budget is going to be. We all know that whoever is in power will have to do the same where budgets are concerned. It's about competence and trust especially from the standpoint of international markets.

FrankSpeaks

Thanks mods for adding poll.

FrankSpeaks

It's not about how tough the budget is going to be. We all know that whoever is in power will have to do the same where budgets are concerned. It's about competence and trust especially from the standpoint of international markets.
Are you of the opinion that the market makers do not trust the present government?

culmore

FF have destroyed this country, so let them bring in their Budget to see what plans they have to undo the wrongs they have done ,and then call an election and let the people decide

charley

Any budget put forward by the current regime will be under pressure from day one; The fact that Lowry,Healy Rae and Grealish are writing up new shopping lists in return for their support would suggest that a GE would probably clear the air,but before anything else I think that the publication of the current state of the banks and a definate final cost must be done. The markets don't really care who's in charge so long as they know their direct debit isn't going to be refused at the end of the month. The claim that an election would cause instability is BS .All they want it proper figures from which to work from it dosen't matter which variation of government is providing them. FF/Greens f***ing about hoping that international factors would save them has left them looking incompetant and a clean sweep might be a good thing.The thought of that vile ghoul Michael Noonan being in charge of a budget is a frightening thought. Visions of him cutting all spending on healthcare spring to mind and thoughts of him wandering rundown hospital wards at night trying to catch as many peoples dying breaths as possible.:cry:

Echolalia

FF have destroyed this country, so let them bring in their Budget to see what plans they have to undo the wrongs they have done ,and then call an election and let the people decide

I agree entirely, but I suspect that they will bolt for the opposition benches before the budget. If they introduce a realistic budget they alienate their core electorate, but if they attempt a (relatively) soft, election friendly budget, the markets will immediately go haywire. Avoiding the day of judgement is more FF's style.

FakeViking

I agree entirely, but I suspect that they will bolt for the opposition benches before the budget. If they introduce a realistic budget they alienate their core electorate, but if they attempt a (relatively) soft, election friendly budget, the markets will immediately go haywire. Avoiding the day of judgement is more FF's style.
Agreed, it'll be much easier to snipe from the Opposition benches when someone else makes the "hard decisions" that the Brian and Mary show can't stomach.

hellsbells

Let the fianna scum bring a budget .Then let the decent people of Ireland decide.

FrankSpeaks

Let the fianna scum bring a budget .Then let the decent people of Ireland decide.
I think the Dept. of Finance should be open to all the parties, their advice should on the state of finance and their options for corrections made known to all. All of the parties standing for election would put their proposed budgets and 5 year plans before the people to vote on. I think that is a much better proposal than your idea above. The incoming government would have very little room to change the budget already decided upon and passed by the Dail.

Econdo

I think that it would be absolutely crazy to even consider a GE before the November budget.....

The facts of the matter is that Ireland is walking a financial tight-rope and could fall off at anytime....Though steps need to be taken in the upcoming budget and any distractions from this would have a sudden and devastating impact on Ireland's Future....Political parties calling for a general election at this time are been irresponsible.. A general election will come in good time but for now we need to stabilised the economy not undermine it..

smitchy2

Let it come after.
The main parties are all agreed that they have to cut $3bn+ in this budget.

Let the FFers put up with more abuse, it is far too entertaining.
Imagine they actually believed that they thought they could spin an economic recovery to win them the next election.

The US has shown economic growth since last year and the Dems are going to make a massive hit in November.

Hopefully the next year will give Labour to get their act in order nationally.
We might have a 2 way choice between a right and left government then.

DeputyEdo

Never mind the next budget...I think we should have a GE before the fecking weekend!!!

FrankSpeaks

I am surprised at the outcome of the poll so far. The sentiment on P.ie seems to be almost totally anti the present government and FF and the result is not bearing this out.

Last edited:

deiseguy

Hopefully the next year will give Labour to get their act in order nationally.
We might have a 2 way choice between a right and left government then.
I wish you were right but I think Labour are only standing 65 candidates so no real alternative there. It stinks of a lack of ambition.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies