Should we have a Referendum on charging for Water?

Should we have a referendum on the general principle of how to fund Irish Water?

• Yes - Since we're spending the money anyway, why not ask the core question directly?

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • No - one referendum on ownership is enough

Votes: 21 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KingKane

Website
www.danielsullivan.ie
Twitter
kingkane
With the likely recommendation from the Oireachtas Committee on Water that we should have a referendum to ensure the public ownership of Irish Water, should we have take the opportunity to directly ask the people to confirm whether they want the irish water supply and infrastructure to be solely funded by general taxation or if they favour the general principle of funding water based on usage with some free allocation to be agreed by legislation?

Yes, this 2nd referendum would be consultative and would not involve changing the constitution.

Last edited:

locke

I've no problem with a consultative referendum, but it's not the sort of thing that should be written into a constitution. We already have too much stuff in there that has no place in a constitution.

gleeful

If we have a referendum it should put other options for paying for the needed water system upgrades and infrastructure. Something like:

The estimated cost of providing clean water to the Irish population is xx billion over the next 30 years. To pay for this, do you prefer: (mark by order of preference)

- Direct per use charging [ ]
- an extra xx% of income tax [ ]
- higher VAT on all purchases [ ]
- higher property taxes [ ]
- Reduce funding for health care and education [ ]

wombat

No, we elected TDs to decide these issues.

Hans Von Horn

Where would we get his free water?

Hans Von Horn

Why not every one decide themselves on paying for water?

Use the water and pay for it or don't use the water and get a trickle of 40 litres per day per house. Sufficient for a cloth wash, drinking and cooking.

The Field Marshal

The drip drip of information, facts and counter facts on this entire debacle has now really annoyed me.

I have paid all water charges demanded of me to date.

I understand very many have not paid at all.

Now I hear the whole thing is going to be abolished.

I will expect a full refund of all charges paid if unless all defaulters are pursued for outstanding arrears.

Failures of this egregious kind destroy any sort of trust between those who are supposed to administer the country and this who pay to have it administered.

The Field Marshal

Why not every one decide themselves on paying for water?

Use the water and pay for it or don't use the water and get a trickle of 40 litres per day per house. Sufficient for a cloth wash, drinking and cooking.
Its a soggy soggy mess.

I have paid over a lot of money for water charges to date.

Now I hear they will be abolished.

I am entitled to a full refund if those who did not pay , and there are a substantial number, are let off.

If I do not get a refund and those who never paid are let off then it means that all trust on which the country is governed has been annihilated.

loner

What are the EUs rules on the payment for water--as members of the EU we are bound by such rules.

Orbit v2

If we have a referendum it should put other options for paying for the needed water system upgrades and infrastructure. Something like:

The estimated cost of providing clean water to the Irish population is xx billion over the next 30 years. To pay for this, do you prefer: (mark by order of preference)

Such a referendum would not be a bad idea, but not a constitutional referendum. Bunreacht na hEireann is no place for either of these questions.

TheField

Well, it would certainly put some clarity on the claims by the anti water charges people that they have massive support.

As regards any referendum though, you'd want to see the wording. Even the proposed one on ownership is fraught. Have we not learnt from the 8th amendment that the constitution is not the best place always?? Why do I want to 'own' Irish Water anyway - they never did anything for me.

gleeful

Such a referendum would not be a bad idea, but not a constitutional referendum. Bunreacht na hEireann is no place for either of these questions.
It would have to be consultative. But thats fine - we can do those if we want, we just never have.

im axeled

your last suggestion is farceical

im axeled

Its a soggy soggy mess.

I have paid over a lot of money for water charges to date.

Now I hear they will be abolished.

I am entitled to a full refund if those who did not pay , and there are a substantial number, are let off.

If I do not get a refund and those who never paid are let off then it means that all trust on which the country is governed has been annihilated.
the ones who did not pay had your last sentence figured out

im axeled

What are the EUs rules on the payment for water--as members of the EU we are bound by such rules.
such rules are set aside when it suits the eu, take a decco at the debts etc of spain france and italy

im axeled

Well, it would certainly put some clarity on the claims by the anti water charges people that they have massive support.

As regards any referendum though, you'd want to see the wording. Even the proposed one on ownership is fraught. Have we not learnt from the 8th amendment that the constitution is not the best place always?? Why do I want to 'own' Irish Water anyway - they never did anything for me.
i dont want to own irish water, what i do wish for is, that the water under the ground and the water which flows from the skys is owned forever by the people living in ireland

Fullforward

The dirty deal has been done behind doors and Fianna Fail have been given their "Get out of jail" card by their masters in Fine Gael who will rush the report to the AG who will then issue a pre-prepared statement saying we are really bad people and the EU will burn us in our beds for not following some rule or other.

Fianna Fail will then follow the script and say they are sorry for breaking YET ANOTHER promise but they cannot break Europes laws.

The Field Marshal

the ones who did not pay had your last sentence figured out
I myself paid but on principle I support those who did not pay.

If they are vindicated then I expect a refund.

If they are vindicated and let off paying then why would I pay any more taxes or fees to the Irish state.?

New Threads

Most Replies