Should we have a Referendum on charging for Water?

Should we have a referendum on the general principle of how to fund Irish Water?

• Yes - Since we're spending the money anyway, why not ask the core question directly?

Votes: 31 59.6%
  • No - one referendum on ownership is enough

Votes: 21 40.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wombat

Pity they can't seem to manage it... or much else for that matter... other than serving themselves and accepting pay rises... :roll:
They're what we elected.

Henry94.

We spend 1.5 billion per year on things water related. That would pay for a lot of teachers and nurses.
Is that what it would be spent on? Hardly. More pay for the existing ones maybe to buy their votes.

JCR

No lets have a big parade and shout slogans. That'll resolve the issue - and some half wits who have been elected to the Dail can then be presented on national television telling the people about the great victory of the less well off drinking their own sh1t mixed with lethal chemicals.

Jimmy Two Times

Its a soggy soggy mess.

I have paid over a lot of money for water charges to date.

Now I hear they will be abolished.

I am entitled to a full refund if those who did not pay , and there are a substantial number, are let off.

If I do not get a refund and those who never paid are let off then it means that all trust on which the country is governed has been annihilated.
:lol: You're some clown.

Disillusioned democrat

Just looking at the results of the poll - looks like some people don't really want the right answer at all....hmmmmm.

an innocent abroad

Its a soggy soggy mess.

I have paid over a lot of money for water charges to date.

Now I hear they will be abolished.

I am entitled to a full refund if those who did not pay , and there are a substantial number, are let off.

If I do not get a refund and those who never paid are let off then it means that all trust on which the country is governed has been annihilated.

"A lot of money?" How much, less the grant in total?

an innocent abroad

No lets have a big parade and shout slogans. That'll resolve the issue - and some half wits who have been elected to the Dail can then be presented on national television telling the people about the great victory of the less well off drinking their own sh1t mixed with lethal chemicals.
Better than having redacted shoved down our throats with his sweetheart deal, plus a massive quango that would put the HSE to shame..Oh wait!!!

Fullforward

I've a better idea........Lets do NOTHING while the gambling, cocaine snorting Bankers run up MASSIVE debts, take Taxpayers money to pay the bills of those who engaged in reckless lending, abdicated all responsibility and who were derelict in their duties. Then allow the same Bankers to dump Families out of their Homes for owing something like a billion times less than the bankers wasted.

Put those evicted people into Hotels,make the Taxpayers foot the bill AGAIN and pay no heed to the long-term impact on the Family unit,the displacement of children who are forced to take long journeys back to their school every day,separate them from their friends and team-mates and worry not about who they might meet in the Hotel corridors or their diet of fast food.

Get NAMA do special deals at yet another loss of hundreds of millions, spend millions upon millions on alleged consultants to Irish Water and ignore the ever-growing massive queues at Hospitals.

And that is just the tip of the Fine Gael iceberg. Economic illiterates.

im axeled

of all the answers this has to be the most mixed up goverment point of view ever

runwiththewind

Surely common sense should prevail here. Water, gas, electricity and communications are vital to our national interests and should remain and should have remained semi state bodies. It was our parents and grandparents who build up the old ESB, Aer Lingus, Telecom Eireann and Bord Gais. They supplied and serviced the nation, made a profit and paid for themselves, its own infrastructure and repairs by charging the customer for its service and would have paid for all future infrastructure as well as the population grows.

Now they have more or less been privatized and the taxpayer is left holding the bill for the infrastructure, service and maintenance of pipelines etc, with no income from the services as the are in private hands where the shareholder is king.

Had Eircom remained semi state, broadband would have been rolled out across the country years ago and now the taxpayer must fork our half a billion to roll out broadband across the country. The private companies aren't going to do it.

Simple maths really but we are a nation of fools being run by even bigger fools.

Dame_Enda

Yes but the EU has said we must have water charges. I suppose we would scrap them if we agreed to pay the possible ECJ fines down the road.

In theory I support water charges but we are a very expensive country and I think first we need to cut the cost of living which was a major issue at the last GE to FGs indifference unfortunately.

Last edited:

Dorcha

I've a better idea........Lets do NOTHING while the gambling, cocaine snorting Bankers run up MASSIVE debts, take Taxpayers money to pay the bills of those who engaged in reckless lending, abdicated all responsibility and who were derelict in their duties. Then allow the same Bankers to dump Families out of their Homes for owing something like a billion times less than the bankers wasted.

Put those evicted people into Hotels,make the Taxpayers foot the bill AGAIN and pay no heed to the long-term impact on the Family unit,the displacement of children who are forced to take long journeys back to their school every day,separate them from their friends and team-mates and worry not about who they might meet in the Hotel corridors or their diet of fast food.

Get NAMA do special deals at yet another loss of hundreds of millions, spend millions upon millions on alleged consultants to Irish Water and ignore the ever-growing massive queues at Hospitals.

And that is just the tip of the Fine Gael iceberg. Economic illiterates.
I fear they are not as innocent as that.

wombat

Had Eircom remained semi state, broadband would have been rolled out across the country years ago and now the taxpayer must fork our half a billion to roll out broadband across the country. .
Just as we now have a world class water and sewage system thanks to the magnificent work of our county councils.

TheField

i dont want to own irish water, what i do wish for is, that the water under the ground and the water which flows from the skys is owned forever by the people living in ireland
Therein lies the devil of the detail. You could interpret the above as saying the State should own 'the water under the ground and the water which flows from the skys'.

If that would be the case, the State can f**k right off. Many people in this country collect their own rainwater and you'd be implying that the State would now have some ownership of it. Then what about the water that inconveniently crosses the border. Would the State start trying to dam it in or divert it or send a bill to Stormont??

You see how ridiculous the suggestion is ??? :)

New Threads

Top Bottom