Should we make Good Friday GFA Day?

Niall996

Just reading this article by Hitchens today. It's a year old so may have featured before where he bitterly talks about, as he sees it, the IRA victory over Britain and the GFA outcome.

PETER HITCHENS: One thing that may stop these attacks | Daily Mail Online

Essentially the GFA formalised the passing of control to the Nationalist Community of NI and placed the destiny of NI in their hands. A UI is now a

With Good Friday now a normal secular day, should it be used each year as a formal commemorative occasion/celebration. Maybe in NI it could be a true cross community event where both sides can express their culture, music, military heroes and heroines etc? In the ROI maybe some cross community stuff with our future Northener co citizens.

RasherHash

Just reading this article by Hitchens today. It's a year old so may have featured before where he bitterly talks about, as he sees it, the IRA victory over Britain and the GFA outcome.

Essentially the GFA formalised the passing of control to the Nationalist Community of NI and placed the destiny of NI in their hands. A UI is now a

With Good Friday now a normal secular day, should it be used each year as a formal commemorative occasion/celebration. Maybe in NI it could be a true cross community event where both sides can express their culture, music, military heroes and heroines etc? In the ROI maybe some cross community stuff with our future Northener co citizens.
Great idea.

The INM fascists will hate it so it's definitely a good idea :)

D

Deleted member 48908

If there's an argument for making it a day of formal commemoration, and I'm not sure that there is, the day ought to be April 10th.

SayItAintSo

I'm only surprised there hasn't been a campaign to change the name of the agreement. Surely its offensive to have an oft discussed agreement named after a holy day? The constant utterances of Good Friday must cause terrible angst to all aetheists, non-christians & whoever etc etc etc

So GFA day, cant see it happening. Anyway, not sure its going to be a lasting agreement, too early to tell yet.

PBP voter

Another reason to hate Nordie Politicians.

Why did the feckers do a deal on a day most of us get off already?

Last edited:

Niall996

Do the unionists have anything other than drums and flutes that could add colour and entertainment to a cross cultural community event such as Annual GFA Day? Have they any indigenous sports or arts we would get to see? I never see any sort of Orange Order cheerleader groups, it's always men. Is there a sexier side to Orangeism we haven't been exposed to yet?

mac tíre

Do the unionists have anything other than drums and flutes that could add colour and entertainment to a cross cultural community event such as Annual GFA Day? Have they any indigenous sports or arts we would get to see? I never see any sort of Orange Order cheerleader groups, it's always men. Is there a sexier side to Orangeism we haven't been exposed to yet?
Don't know about a sexier side to Orangeism re: Annual GFA Day but perhaps they could show it on their own annual day on the 12th.

Jake O'Kane: Think how much fun the Twelfth would be if it combined with Gay Pride - The Irish News

FGAU = For Gays and Ulster!

Aghalissabeagh

Body art, Buckfast, doing the bouncy (the 3 Bs') and laying poppy wreaths at UVF memorials, although this exiting mix of extra stuff is cancelled out by the fact (I sneaked along to a 12th parade in Down) that regardless of how many bands there are collectively they only know 3 tunes, and generally not very well, it is painful to listen to

Aghalissabeagh

I'm only surprised there hasn't been a campaign to change the name of the agreement. Surely its offensive to have an oft discussed agreement named after a holy day? The constant utterances of Good Friday must cause terrible angst to all aetheists, non-christians & whoever etc etc etc

So GFA day, cant see it happening. Anyway, not sure its going to be a lasting agreement, too early to tell yet.
If you're a Unionist you call it The Belfast Agreement (agreement my arse, we can't even agree on a name)

Mushroom

Maybe they'd be agreeable to arrange a gangbang for you to watch online? Best venue is probably the half way line of Ravenhill (aka Kingspan Stadium).

I bet even your little weener would be happy to "stand up for the Ulstermen".

Analyzer

No.

Given the current level of antagonism from the Provisional Cult towards just about everybody else on the island who tries to be a responsible grown up, I am begining to be sceptical about the entire thing.

After the fall of Communism, the PIRA we running out of suppliers.

After 9/11 they were not going to get money any more from North America for terrorism.

Lord Talbot

Ah politicising religious feasts. Where would the Irish nationalist identity be without it.

Aghalissabeagh

Well the various Irish governments since then quickly lost interest when the press photographers left and the cross border bodies have largely faded away. But with the sudden new found interest in the border by the FF/FG crowd lot, why not make them all meet and achieve something on the day.

There was also talk of great cooperation between the Gardai and PSNI, but likewise it faded away, get them out marching together, tis only the colour of the uniform that separates them anyway. Actually there's lots that could be done on the day, most of it would make Arlene and Leo sick up a bit, so well worth while

Aghalissabeagh

Ah politicising religious feasts. Where would the Irish nationalist identity be without it.
It maybe a political agreement, but it is a peace agreement first and foremost, I dunno peace and religion together, might work

midlander12

Another reason to hate Nordie Politicians.

Why did the feckers do a deal on a day most of us get off already?
Well they take most of the rest of the year off so they've been making up for it ever since, particularly since January 2017.

FOURGREENFIELDS

The mental picture of INM, Unionists and Tories having a mass w**k over that article by the foaming at the mouth, rabid loon Hitchens may give me nightmares.

Niall996

The mental picture of INM, Unionists and Tories having a mass w**k over the article by that foaming at the mouth rabid loon Hitchens may give me nightmares.
They'd all hate what Hitchens wrote. What Hitchens says goes completely against this narrative you see trotted out by unionists/Tories/INM that the IRA were somehow defeated!

FOURGREENFIELDS

They'd all hate what Hitchens wrote. What Hitchens says goes completely against this narrative you see trotted out by unionists/Tories/INM that the IRA were somehow defeated!
It just adds to their self pitying "THEMMUNS ARE GETTING 'EVRY FING' UN WE'RE GETTING NATHIN" mindset.

New Threads

Most Replies