Should we set minimum qualifications for Taoiseach and Minister of Finance

jimbo99

Should we set minimum qualifications for Taoiseach and Minister of Finance.

As it stands our political system allows anyone despite their qualifications to be appointed Taoiseach or Minister of Finance. After the damage that has been inflicted widely by office clerks, solicitors, barristers and teachers on our economy and on taxpayers is it not about time that a minimum set of qualifications should be established to protect the country from such poor judgement and lack of appropriate skills.

sport02

Any finance minister and Taiseach must pass the strictest of polygraph tests every six months, altough on second thoughts, I think Brian lenihan would have the capability of passing any, even ones set down by the FBI.

Maureen Murphy 1234

mimimum qualificatiosn for taoiseach and min finance

Absolutely. My husband has been preaching this to me for years. where else would you place a person who knows nothing about a subject in charge of that ministry? Daft galore.

Biffomania

I'd settle for them swearing under oath that they never were, are not and never will be, members of FF or the Greens or the PDs.

showbandmanager

Steady...................................... you're not seriously trying to suggest that we have people who know what they're doing running the ship of state.

TaxHavenSite

Any finance minister and Taiseach must pass the strictest of polygraph tests every six months, altough on second thoughts, I think Brian lenihan would have the capability of passing any, even ones set down by the FBI.
Its not that hard to pass the test. All you need to do is inflict a little self-pain to trick the machine. For example biting your tongue.

As for the requirements, I think a special aptitude test should be taken in order to be Taoiseach and MoF,and there scores are listed on the ballots. As well as in the newspapers and Internet.

Aristodemus

Garret Fitzgerald was an economist wasnt he? You couldnt have made more of a balls up of the economy if you tried

The100Project

Being able to construct a basic, grammatically correct sentence would be a good start. You can forgive education and upbringing to a certain extent (in that we do not choose these for ourselves), but an adult not having the cop-on to realise that when the majority of people say "I did" not "I done" and "I saw" not "I seen" has to raise questions about the individuals intellectual capacity and ability. As for millins and billins......???? That's my opinion inannyway!

blanket

We should have minimum standards for all public reps, local and national.

Starting with education.

Lord Wellington

No.

The destruction of the economy and the sell-out of the Nation had nothing to do with whether or not the Taoiseach or Minister had an economics degree.

Alan Aherne has been advising the Minister for about two years now.

Fianna Fail did it because they are Fianna Fail.

There is no other reason.

cimon9999

Patrick Neary

"Originally from Kilkenny, Patrick Neary joined the Central Bank in 1971 after spending a year studying Latin and Greek at UCD. He started at the bottom and rose to the position of head of securities and exchanges supervision before he left in 2003 to join the newly established office of the financial regulator as prudential director."

Dunlin3

Seems a bit crazy alright that any muppet who's loyal to the party and can continue to get enough votes can have a position with such responsibility. Bertie being the prime example.

Aristodemus

"Originally from Kilkenny, Patrick Neary joined the Central Bank in 1971 after spending a year studying Latin and Greek at UCD. He started at the bottom and rose to the position of head of securities and exchanges supervision before he left in 2003 to join the newly established office of the financial regulator as prudential director."
Ha Ha. you couldn't make that up

Newffowner

Any minimum standards should also apply to those civil servants that are really running the country

reknaw

The idea is absurd, as formal education/qualifications are only one of many factors that determine whether or not someone elected to public office will do a good job for the common good.

For example, one of the greatest and wisest rulers in human history, the Mughal emperor Shah Akbar, who was a contemporary of Queen Elizabeth I, was illiterate until he died, but look what he achieved in the economic and cultural spheres.

You might as well set minimum qualifications for voters, because they are the ones who put the politicians in their jobs and can turf them out as well. Indeed, graduates of certain Irish universities have a vote in Seanad elections, irrespective of where they live in the world.

And isn't the Seanad a shining example of a legislative body?:roll::roll:

Dunlin3

You might as well set minimum qualifications for voters, because they are the ones who put the politicians in their jobs and can turf them out as well.
I'd definitely agree with this. A minimum IQ level at least! Less gombeens voting for other gombeens would make a huge difference :p

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies