• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Should we teach our Children a Second Number System? A Number System of our own!

potholedogger

For many decades now we have allocated some 4 hours a week in our Primary Schools to teach a second language which is in fact out first Language.

It is almost illogical that we should equip our children with a language of our own without considering the benefits of a number system of our own, which would reinforce our own cultural identity in a World converging on soulless homogenisation.

Perhaps it is time to teach our Children a second number system in Primary School. Currently the base of 10 number system is taught to our children and is used throughout the world probably because we have ten fingers.

Many of you are familiar with the binary number system which uses just 1's and 0's and is the vernacular of the digital age.

There are also other base systems which like 3, 4,5, 6 etc

The hexidecimal number system used a base 16 System. In mathematics and computer science, hexadecimal (also base 16, or hex) is a positional numeral system with a radix, or base, of 16. It uses sixteen distinct symbols, most often the symbols 0–9 to represent values zero to nine, and A, B, C, D, E, F (or alternatively a–f) to represent values ten to fifteen.

I am suggesting that we look at a base 17 (septidecimal)or base 18 system which would be almost unique in day to day use. Learning a second number base system would make it easier for our Children to learn a third or even a fourth number base system such as hexidecimal.

I have no doubt that in a few decades our people would grow to love having a number system of our own, a native number system, which would grow to be cherished and loved. Do we really want to use a the number ten number system which was foisted upon us many centuries ago?

The initiative if it were adopted would make our people much more mathematically agile and pay huge dividends to our economy.

What is a Nation without its own Number System?

Hexadecimal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OCicero

We already have it. We are a nation that thinks in billions now.

Didimus

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.

FrankSpeaks

There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
I think this statement could well be lost on high percentage of posters on the site!

Didimus

I think this statement could well be lost on high percentage of posters on the site!
There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand ternary, and those who don't understand ternary, and those who confuse it for binary.

And I'm sure the googling skills of the p.ie are as good as mine...

potholedogger

Many Educators asure us that learning Irish helps us to learn additional languages. Could the septidecimal base number system help us to learn hexidecimal and binary number systems, as well as allowing us to have a number base system of our own?

Vega1447

Many Educators asure us that learning Irish helps us to learn additional languages. Could the septidecimal base number system help us to learn hexidecimal and binary number systems, as well as allowing us to have a number base system of our own?
Assuming you are joking; joke made.

If you are serious, no. Base 17 is no better than any other number base.

The idea of a number base is not that difficult to teach/learn. Bases 10, 2 & 16 are plenty for now.

And most people only need base 10.

You were joking?

TommyO'Brien

No.

firefly123

When you're explaining you're losing :)

Reck-less

Could time be considered as a second number system, i.e. after 12 o'clock, we revert to 1 o'clock.

potholedogger

Do you think that learning a number system that the rest of the World does not use, that would not be practically understood by the rest of our trading partners, devoting massive resources to teaching it, translating from the base 10 number system would be a stupid idea?

Spirit Of Newgrange

learning the times tables in Hexadecimal would be advantageous, we would all be like mathematical geniuses

statsman

Do you think that learning a number system that the rest of the World does not use, that would not be practically understood by the rest of our trading partners, devoting massive resources to teaching it, translating from the base 10 number system would be a stupid idea?
I think it would go way beyond stupid, actually.

Didimus

Níl fhios agam

henryhill

I'm more concerned at the time spent teaching religion, and preparing for "Communion" and "Confirmation".