Shrinkflation, Have You Noticed It?

General Urko

As you know if there's one thing that annoys me it's bollex acting and if there's one thing which annoys me more, it's bollex acting which impacts on my pocket.
Shrinkflation is the less for more phenomenon where manufacturers are reducing the size of their offerings but continuing (or their retailers are) to charge the same amount oand possibly even more if they can get away with it.
Toblerone, some crisps and some Juices are being cited as common recent examples of this carry on.
While I haven't noticed it in any of the products I buy frequently yes, it appears to be happening big time, even with jacks rolls!

Shrinkflation: 14 food products that have got smaller  - Food & drink

'Shrinkflation' has hit over 2,500 consumer products over the past five years 

This Is Why Shrinkflation Is Making You Poor | Zero Hedge

It strikes me as the ideal scam for a lot of Irish manufacturers/retailers given the sleeveen nature of most of them.

So have you noticed it at all and how can we combat it?

Don't forget it will become more common under the cover of 'Health' reasons into the future for a lot of products, though how that dovetails with slyly reducing toilet rolls in size, I cannot fathom!

BTW I'm fairly certain manufacturers are making the print smaller on their products and it's not my eyesight declining slightly in middle age!:cool: And it seems during the recession/taking advantage of it, they did!:mad:

Last edited:

jpc

Always check weights, volume and the Price per kilo.
You are dead right with this observation.

Mushroom

I don't know whether it's true or not, but I remember reading that "Sir" Tony O'Reilly was widely credited with having "invented" that idea, many years ago?

I think that his idea was to sell tins of Heinz beans with only 15½ ounces of beans in them while every other brand of tinned beanz contained a lb (pound). The Heinz tins were slightly cheaper so they quickly became the lead brand.

Seemingly, that great idea was how he first got his foot on the ladder that led to him becoming "Mister Heinz" for many years.

Last edited:

Man or Mouse

I've noticed it for years. How come it took the commentariat so long to catch up?

JimmyFoley

When I saw the OPer and the word 'shrink', I dreaded where it was heading.

I admit I took a quick look down...

Karloff

I don't know whether it's true or not, but I remember reading that the late Tony O'Reilly was widely credited with having "invented" that idea, many years ago?

I think that his idea was to sell tins of Heinz beans with only 15½ ounces of beans in them while every other brand of tinned beanz contained a lb (pound). The Heinz tins were slightly cheaper so they quickly became the lead brand.

Seemingly, that great idea was how he first got his foot on the ladder that led to him becoming "Mister Heinz" for many years.
He is still bouncing around.

Mushroom

TheField

An excellent shout, the retailers have been robbing is for the last few years, only yesterday a former Tesco worker was telling me about scams in the supermarket, they have a special on a branded item, but with small stock, right next to it at the inflated price a similar item, people make the mistake and think that item is on special and stick two in the trolley and get stung with the extra price , there is a lot of sharp practice. We as consumers need to be vigilant.
Been caught by that several times - Tesco are past masters at it and Supervalu to lesser extent. Easy to spot if you've only a few items but if checking out a trolley load you'd be caught every time. As a result of this deceit, I don't shop with Tesco given a choice.

TheField

'Shrinkflation' can also cut both ways. If as a manufacturer, you have a product that sells best at a price point, say €9.99 - then you are vulnerable to changes in discounts given to distributors and retailers but also changes in VAT. Take a VAT increase, the product still sells at €9.99 but now the manufacturers margin is shrunk by the State taking a larger slice..

Wascurito

I remember back in the latter years of the Tiger (2006-8), there was another type of "flation". Product sizes were getting bigger. Soft drinks that used to be available in the 330ml size were only available in 500mls or larger.

My favourite cartons of soup went from 400g to 600g.

Is there a word for that phenomenon?

firefly123

An excellent shout, the retailers have been robbing is for the last few years, only yesterday a former Tesco worker was telling me about scams in the supermarket, they have a special on a branded item, but with small stock, right next to it at the inflated price a similar item, people make the mistake and think that item is on special and stick two in the trolley and get stung with the extra price , there is a lot of sharp practice. We as consumers need to be vigilant.
nearly got caught with that buying some cheese strings for my spawn. the twirly kind were double the price but packaged similarly. spotted it at the till and brought it up. the cashier looked at me like I had two heads. I left them at the till.

Also chocolate bars are a whore for getting smaller.

Deadlock

I remember back in the latter years of the Tiger (2006-8), there was another type of "flation". Product sizes were getting bigger. Soft drinks that used to be available in the 330ml size were only available in 500mls or larger.

Valubesity?

Mushroom

Always check weights, volume and the Price per kilo.
You are dead right with this observation.
And be sure to do it in Aldi and Lidl too - because the differences can be astounding.

ShoutingIsLeadership

It's not the same thing at all. Deflation refers to prices falling. Shrinkflation is when the customer is charged the same or even more for less of the product.

Deflation in the size of the product. Shrinkage would have been grand, if deflation was considered inappropriate. Shrinkflation implies being charged more for less...when this phenomenon is about getting less for the same price.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Waste!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies