Significant Ejaculations from Leo at IBEC Bash

General Urko

Leo said what I would regard as two significant things to the great and the good at the IBEC President's Dinner tonight

1 There will be auto enrollment of all workers (well private sector ones) in a pension scheme starting in 3 years time. Probably giving future Governments an out to destroy state pension entilements!
2 An end to Zero hours contracts with legislation being prepared perhaps as early as this terms.

Speech by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar T.D. IBEC Presidents Dinner, RDS, Ballsbridge - MerrionStreet

Wascurito

The title of the OP makes it all rather zooesque.

General Urko

The title of the OP makes it all rather zooesque.
What is not correct? And they are important utterances from the biggest of the big Knobs!

General Urko

'introduction of an auto-enrolment pension scheme for private sector workers, two-thirds of whom currently have no occupational pension to supplement their state pension. I anticipate the first payments being made into those new individually held funds by 2021.
We will work closely and consult with employers on the design of this scheme, and on all of these reforms.'

'The Government will legislate to help employees whose contracts do not reflect the reality of the hours they work, and will prohibit so-called zero hour contracts.'

He mentioned a few other things as well!petunia

HarshBuzz

'introduction of an auto-enrolment pension scheme for private sector workers, two-thirds of whom currently have no occupational pension to supplement their state pension. I anticipate the first payments being made into those new individually held funds by 2021.
We will work closely and consult with employers on the design of this scheme, and on all of these reforms.'

'The Government will legislate to help employees whose contracts do not reflect the reality of the hours they work, and will prohibit so-called zero hour contracts.'

The above is a highly sensible suggestion, given the scale of underprovision for retirement.

Hopefully he includes the PS in this.

General Urko

The above is a highly sensible suggestion, given the scale of underprovision for retirement.

Hopefully he includes the PS in this.
I can't see the public service being asked to contribute anything substantial!
And I would fear it will be used to destroy state pension entitlements, it is coming from The Blueshirts after all!

Gin Soaked

If you are working full time and don't enrol in a pension, you are a moron. If your employer does not contribute, they are scabs...

I have ridden two downturns in almost 20 years of contributions. It comes good.

The zero hours ban is an excellent move for low paid workers whose lives are in limbo through what is an utter abuse.

Two very good moves by Leo. Two very big deals to low paid workers...

But of course, FG hate the poor. Of course they do..

Lonewolfe

Zero hour contracts are a daily reality for a certain cohort of public sector workers. Wonder ieo is even aware of this?

General Urko

If you are working full time and don't enrol in a pension, you are a moron. If your employer does not contribute, they are scabs...

I have ridden two downturns in almost 20 years of contributions. It comes good.

The zero hours ban is an excellent move for low paid workers whose lives are in limbo through what is an utter abuse.

Two very good moves by Leo. Two very big deals to low paid workers...

But of course, FG hate the poor. Of course they do..
I totally agree with you on Zero hours contracts!
However, re pensions, most private sector pensions return pathetic amounts, AFAIK the average is €3K per year and have huge admin costs and low paid people really need their money now and of course, given our society's class based Apartheidal nature, a huge proportion of working class men will be long gone before pension age!
And Baldy Noonan raided private sector pensions!
So the pension industry needs to be looked at!

hiding behind a poster

Wow, two highly significant policy announcements from an FG government, including one in particular that many on the left and centre-left have been seeking for a long time, and the posting rate on this thread is about 7 per hour. Whereas if Gino Kenny or Ruth CopYourselfOn or some other Hero had squatted on a lawn somewhere and demanded same, we'd be up in the thousands by now.

eoghanacht

Zero hour contracts are a daily reality for a certain cohort of public sector workers. Wonder ieo is even aware of this?
It's called going for a game of golf, only poor people do slacking off.

edwin

Leo said what I would regard as two significant things to the great and the good at the IBEC President's Dinner tonight

1 There will be auto enrollment of all workers (well private sector ones) in a pension scheme starting in 3 years time. Probably giving future Governments an out to destroy state pension entilements!
2 An end to Zero hours contracts with legislation being prepared perhaps as early as this terms.

Speech by Taoiseach Leo Varadkar T.D. IBEC Presidents Dinner, RDS, Ballsbridge - MerrionStreet
You must have a lot of ejaculation measuring experience to be able to measure significance

robut

I totally agree with you on Zero hours contracts!
However, re pensions, most private sector pensions return pathetic amounts, AFAIK the average is €3K per year and have huge admin costs and low paid people really need their money now and of course, given our society's class based Apartheidal nature, a huge proportion of working class men will be long gone before pension age!
And Baldy Noonan raided private sector pensions!
So the pension industry needs to be looked at!
Yip

the average person has only enough in their pension pot to give them a retirement income of €3,000 a year

And noonan said Ah shur we will have some of that princely sum .. via private pension levy that takes from the fund itself .. similar to taking cash from your deposit account

... poor investment returns, low annuity rates and high charges meant that someone with €100,000 saved into a retirement fund could only expect between €3,000 and €5,000 a year in retirement from this.
And I think to achieve this €3000-€5000 a year pension you would be looking at paying in about €150 to €300+ a month?

Last edited:

General Urko

Yip

the average person has only enough in their pension pot to give them a retirement income of €3,000 a year

And noonan said Ah shur we will have some of that princely sum ..

And I think to achieve this €3000-€5000 a year pension you would be looking at paying in about €150 to €300+ a month?
Is it any wonder that the vast majority of private workers most of whom are not on great wages have avoided pension contributions like the plague!
The whole pensions industry needs substantial reform before involuntary contributions are taken from low paid workers!
And State pension entitlement rules cannot be messed with to disadvantage ordinary citizens!

ShoutingIsLeadership

He was wearing a tux. Dig out a picture

General Urko

I actually bumped into a school mate of mine today, an absolutely spot on bloke, who is now on his pension from the army and he's around the 50 mark and probably close to €30K in a pension and he looked like a spring chicken, I didn't recognise him initially!
In fairness he is a good un!

General Urko

Wow, two highly significant policy announcements from an FG government, including one in particular that many on the left and centre-left have been seeking for a long time, and the posting rate on this thread is about 7 per hour. Whereas if Gino Kenny or Ruth CopYourselfOn or some other Hero had squatted on a lawn somewhere and demanded same, we'd be up in the thousands by now.
Could it be the thread title?:rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies