Sikh couple refused adoption because "only white children are available".

Wascurito

A Sikh couple in the UK has alleged that they were refused being allowed to adopt a child because of their ethnicity. They claim that they applied to the local adoption agency in Berkshire but were refused because they are Sikhs and the only children available for adoption were white/Caucasian.

Sandeep and Reena Mander are in their thirties and unable to have children. They plan to legally challenge the decision with the backing of the UK's Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Daily Telegraph: Sikh couple "told they could not adopt because only white babies were available"

silverharp

seems fair enough, its not about the couple's rights.

Prester Jim

Congalltee

Open and shut case.
(P.ie may be a hatefillled misinformation site, but surely not even the freaks can defend this decision?)

Clanrickard

Open and shut case.
(P.ie may be a hatefillled misinformation site, but surely not even the freaks can defend this decision?)
Yet you have over 6000 posts. How you stand seeing all the "hate"?

rainmaker

Administrator
A Sikh couple in the UK has alleged that they were refused being allowed to adopt a child because of their ethnicity. They claim that they applied to the local adoption agency in Berkshire but were refused because they are Sikhs and the only children available for adoption were white/Caucasian.

Sandeep and Reena Mander are in their thirties and unable to have children. They plan to legally challenge the decision with the backing of the UK's Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Daily Telegraph: Sikh couple "told they could not adopt because only white babies were available"
The article says the agency uses the childs religious & cultural background of heritage as the criteria for a match, not the childs race. It also states children will not be kept waiting for an ideal match - so that criteria can be overlooked.

Also reading the article this is only a claim by the couple. One side of the story.

As I point out in all legal cases involving children and the local authority, be it cases of removal or adoption, in the papers we only get to read the claims of one side - that of the aggrieved.

Any client can make a claim to the papers about their Social services case, Social Services however are strictly limited in their right of reply due to strict confidentiality laws & are really only allowed a reply in court.

Last edited:

users

I can see how it would be easier for children to grow up in a family of the same ethnicity but if that is not available then I cannot see how growing up in care would be better than adoption by a couple of a different race.
I know of several cases of foreign adoption here and the kids seem to be doing well as far as I can see.

former wesleyan

Thirty years ago in Ireland you were nudged towards Protestant or Catholic agencies with race not a problem. Don't know the criteria now.

silverharp

Thirty years ago in Ireland you were nudged towards Protestant or Catholic agencies with race not a problem. Don't know the criteria now.
there was a headline I saw recently could have been UK or else US but it was gov agency "advising" mother not to christen child before giving up for adoption because it would reduce its chances of being adopted.

realistic1

I remember reading somewhere that there can be negative effects from adopting outside ethnic groups, the child feels more displaced or something. My point is that there may be a reasonable explanation for this.

https://www.theguardian.com/social-care-network/2015/mar/04/pros-cons-trans-racial-adoption

Loneliness and isolation reported by children.

Yup, the needs of the child outweigh that of the prospective parents in my view.
and what about adopting to Gay couples, any "negative effects" here? or is it just race that is a negative factor.

talkingshop

It used to be the law here that the adoptive parents had to be the same religion as the child i.e. as the child's mother, basically. Not sure if that law has changed. Very few Irish kids given up for adoption anyway.

talkingshop

That's very true, but it doesn't seem to have been a factor when "white" couples have adopted non "white" children or does that not happen anymore?
I think white couples are usually adopting them from abroad. Also I would say that if it was e.g. a black child in the UK, they would give preference to black would be adoptive parents.

users

That's very true, but it doesn't seem to have been a factor when "white" couples have adopted non "white" children or does that not happen anymore?
I don't think you're right there. I remember controversy in the UK over black kids being adopted by white parents years ago. It led to ad campaigns calling for black foster/adoptive parents. That may have been the start of it, the relative lack of black families willing to adopt/foster.

GDPR

I think white couples are usually adopting them from abroad. Also I would say that if it was e.g. a black child in the UK, they would give preference to black would be adoptive parents.
You can see the sense in that, but it would need to be applied evenly and probably is.

DexterGreen22

They have a preference for people who are more like them, they want to adopt a child who is more like them. Good luck to this couple with the adoption process and good luck to any European couple who are thinking along similar lines.

razorblade

Its only natural to adopt children from the same culture as yourself, nothing wrong with that at all.

Politics matters

How often would you see a black couple with an adopted white child?

Compare that to the amount of white couples adopting black children.

Wascurito

The article says the agency uses the childs religious & cultural background of heritage as the criteria for a match, not the childs race. It also states children will not be kept waiting for an ideal match - so that criteria can be overlooked.

Also reading the article this is only a claim by the couple. One side of the story.

As I point out in all legal cases involving children and the local authority, be it cases of removal or adoption, in the papers we only get to read the claims of one side - that of the aggrieved.

Any client can make a claim to the papers about their Social services case, Social Services however are strictly limited in their right of reply due to strict confidentiality laws & are really only allowed a reply in court.
No doubt it will all come out in the court case.

According to this Indian newspaper, they were told to try not in the UK but instead in India. If true, I think this would make the case more serious.

Can’t adopt white child, try in India, British Sikh couple told by UK agency: Hindustan Times

Erudite Caveman

I remember reading somewhere that there can be negative effects from adopting outside ethnic groups, the child feels more displaced or something. My point is that there may be a reasonable explanation for this.
99% of the time there is a reasonable explanation for the heart tugging Daily Mail/Sunday Indo tales of innocent citizens having their hopes and dreams crushed by the faceless bureaucrats.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies