• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Silent Coup - Lenihan is Taoiseach

Jock_the_Waster

It appears to be, he is the only one showing leadership.

Why is Clowen still receiving a pay check?

Jock_the_Waster

What leadership have ya seen from Lenny?
MINISTER for Finance Brian Lenihan told people set to be hit by €5 billion worth of cuts and public sector job losses not to "selfishly" oppose the measures.

The Government was bracing itself for an angry backlash as the report of An Bord Snip Nua, set to call for a dramatic shake- up of the civil service, state agencies and welfare payments, was finally to be unveiled.

Up to 1,000 more teachers were expected to be among the casualties, with the ratio of teachers to pupils likely to be raised again, as Mr Lenihan stressed virtually nothing was off-limits for cuts.

The minister said the number of "surplus" staff in the public service would be a major target – believed to mean up to 20,000 jobs will be lost – and warned there was "no hiding place" from the tough choices.

Cuts in areas like education and health, and a nearly €2bn cut in welfare rolls, are bound to increase tensions in the Government coalition, after Green senators abstained from a vote on Fianna Fáil’s controversial crime bill as it was rushed through the Oireachtas.

Mr Lenihan pleaded with those who will bear the brunt of the radical recommendations from the cuts probe – headed by economist Colm McCarthy – to "set aside selfish sectional interests".

Fearing a strong response, including mass street protests, from workers, unions and welfare recipients, Mr Lenihan said at least €4bn in cuts needed to be imposed next year if Ireland was to keep its EU commitments. He said this was not due to the banking crisis but because the country was living beyond its means and facing a deficit of at least €20bn this year as the Government borrowed €70m a day to keep the State running.
The paralysed coward Clowen has not made such strong unpopular comments. It would be very easy for Lenihan to have done the same.

The country is fucked and needs a strong man to tell it as it is and put the the self serving self interest groups back into reality.

Time for patriots to shine. We can deal with the treasonous fools in FF later. Stop the rot now. €20 Billion borrowing pa is criminal

Catalpa

It looks like its Lenny's for the taking if and when the Boss bottles out...

Too early to say if that will be this year or later on.

I think if they can hold on until after Lisbon then the outcome of that will decide if they 'go to the Country' of their own accord

- or because the Greens turn Yellow in the aftermath....:|

arcadeparade

The paralysed coward Clowen has not made such strong unpopular comments. It would be very easy for Lenihan to have done the same.

The country is fucked and needs a strong man to tell it as it is and put the the self serving self interest groups back into reality.

Time for patriots to shine. We can deal with the treasonous fools in FF later. Stop the rot now. €20 Billion borrowing pa is criminal
Tax the rich. Then eat them.

davehiggz

I really see either Dermot Ahern or Michael Martin taking the next leadership. Apparently that's where the factions now lie within FF. I wouldn't rule him out for it after either of them.

Clanrickard

DS-09

I really see either Dermot Ahern or Michael Martin taking the next leadership. Apparently that's where the factions now lie within FF. I wouldn't rule him out for it after either of them.
Certainly Michael Martin would be up there. However I wouldn't rule out the likes of O' Cuiv either. The cabinet is certainly in need of a reshuffle- the likes of Coughlan should be put out of the job.

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

At least Lenihan had the cojones to go on Vincent Browne. Apart from poor old hapless Mansergh not another minister has the balls to appear there.

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

Certainly Michael Martin would be up there. However I wouldn't rule out the likes of O' Cuiv either. The cabinet is certainly in need of a reshuffle- the likes of Coughlan should be put out of the job.

O'Cuiv? For FF leadership?? Tell me that's a typo!

O'Cuiv? As if the opposition don't have enough sticks to beat us with! He's likely to be sacked in the next reshuffle if his department goes anyway and is about as popular as Mary Coughlan and Martin Cullen which doesn't say a lot. I don't see what Dermot Ahern could bring to the job he's not exactly the most appealing Minister. Likely to be Martin as leader with Hanifan as his deputy and Lenihan still in Finance.

Jock_the_Waster

At least Lenihan had the cojones to go on Vincent Browne. Apart from poor old hapless Mansergh not another minister has the balls to appear there.
thats my point, credit to Lenihan

he is the only one amongst a bunch of wastrels willing to do 'live' interviews and state the facts

the sleveens that sit in the long grass earn nothing but contempt

d.ahern can sit in Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's cabinet as director of religous doctrine

michael martin disgraced himself defending bertie ahern and his hiding as €400 million a week is being borrowed is nothing short of treason

@arcadeparade when you state:

Tax the rich. Then eat them.
I assume you are refering to Jack O'Connor, David Begg and their insipient traitorous cohorts... in that case yes eat them if you wish.

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

It will be interesting to see how FF plan on spending the next 10 years in opposition. I guess there are a few sharp young guys there dreaming about their leadership bid in 2020.

DS-09

It will be interesting to see how FF plan on spending the next 10 years in opposition. I guess there are a few sharp young guys there dreaming about their leadership bid in 2020.
What makes you assume that it will be 2020 before we see another FF government?

Jock_the_Waster

oh, they are gone. FF will be confined to the Dustbin of History, but more importantly their actions will lead to the extinction of the political system as we know it in Ireland, so in a way their greed, egos and self serving interests may actually lead us to a better place...

we stand on the precipice of a pre-anarchical society

It will take a great politico to save the incumbent system, all the parties are tainted, all are guilty, all fed at the ego-trough

the abililty is not present, make your preparations accordingly

PaddyJoe McGillycuddy

What makes you assume that it will be 2020 before we see another FF government?
This gov. may stagger on for another 2/3 years. Whether it does or not I would say that it will take the guts of 10 years before people will have any trust again in the people who have mismanaged the country so spectacularly for the last 10.