Simon Harris 'Irish Population to grow by over a million people over the next number of years'

silverharp

So said Simon Harris on The Week in Politics yesterday, now being a landlord quids in for me, it should underpin the rental market nicely, however whats the plan? Irish demographics are at best flat so miust mean a million migrants coming here in the next "number" of years? whats the number? where will they be from? what will it mean if over 40% of Ireland's population will not be ethnically Irish? where will they live? people like cities they dont like living in the country so is more overcrowding in Dublin a good thing?

The Minister of Health Simon Harris says the population of Ireland is going to grow by over a million people over the next number of years ahead of the launch of the National Planning Framework — Ireland 2040. The minister describes it as a major plan which is going to shape the development of Ireland for the next number of years backed up by millions and billions of euro in capital investment.

Broadcast: RTÉ | Sun 04 Feb 2018 | The Week in Politics
https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/the...

[video=youtube;HxLaVyDccu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLaVyDccu8[/video]

CookieMonster

Immigrants, immigrants, immigrants, immigrants, immigrants.

ruserious

"Irish demographics are at best flat..."

OP is factually wrong there.

We have the second highest birth rate in the EU.

CookieMonster

Man or Mouse

So said Simon Harris on The Week in Politics yesterday, now being a landlord quids in for me, it should underpin the rental market nicely, however whats the plan? Irish demographics are at best flat so miust mean a million migrants coming here in the next "number" of years? whats the number? where will they be from? what will it mean if over 40% of Ireland's population will not be ethnically Irish? where will they live? people like cities they dont like living in the country so is more overcrowding in Dublin a good thing?

[video=youtube;HxLaVyDccu8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxLaVyDccu8[/video]
I see the Collison Brothers are moving an engineering HQ to Dublin. Think all those lads are going to come from Tallaght?

silverharp

"Irish demographics are at best flat..."

OP is factually wrong there.

We have the second highest birth rate in the EU.
1.94 in 2015 also ireland traditionally has a certain leakage to the UK and US

fergal1790

Harris is talking out his arse!

The birth rate will drop as Irish people(not illegal immigrants or their many many children) have less children as the costs for those who want more than a life on benefits increases and as accommodation becomes a priority ONLY for those on benefits and illegal immigrants.

At least the government practically blocked the whole "work for asylum seekers" saga by limiting the work unvetted and illegal migrants can apply for.

Catalpast

Well at least its a change from 'only a few thousand a year will reach our shores' BS we were told back in 2002!

We are obviously being set up for Mass Immigration on scale not yet seen....

Go Figure....:|

McTell

Twitter
No
///
where will they be from? what will it mean if over 40% of Ireland's population will not be ethnically Irish? where will they live? people like cities they dont like living in the country so is more overcrowding in Dublin a good thing?

Ummm howzabout Ballyhaunis? They need some more human beings there.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballyhaunis

Oh I see that 42% of them are "non-Irish", so maybe dublin?

silverharp

Nah, it may just look like that from where you are in the gutter.
you just sound like a prat trying to close down discussion. I personally have no issue with foreigners , I married one. However if a government minister says the population of the country is going to grow by a qtr, that is worthy of discussion on an Irish political site or am i missing something?

HarshBuzz

Niall996

Don't forget returning expats. Didn't something like 400K leave Ireland since the crash? If a quarter of them return with partners and two kids there's a million straight away.

tsarbomb

And will our infrastructure be able to cope with this? Nope!

At least we'll have some more interesting restaurants and quirky cafés to keep the limp wristed ultra cosmopolitans happy:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies