Simon Wiesenthal Strikes Again!

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
The Simon Wiesenthal Center has succeeded in getting a Japanese joke shop / costume retailer to stop selling Hitler outfits, because they are offensive.

I wonder whether Christians should mount a campaign to stop joke shops selling devil outfits - or whether women's rights groups should campaign against pimp outfits...or whether...oh, I give up. Next thing gentiles will be banned from saying "Oi Vei".

Oi Vei!

brughahaha

Well gentiles are currently being prevented from renting property in Israel thanks to a declaration from a publicly paid Rabbi

Top rabbis move to forbid renting homes to Arabs, say 'Israel belongs to Jews' - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

""Their way of life is different than that of Jews," the letter stated. "Among [the gentiles] are those who are bitter and hateful toward us and who meddle into our lives to the point where they are a danger."

The rabbis also urge neighbors of anyone renting or selling property to Arabs to caution that person. After delivering the warning, the neighbor is then encouraged to issue notices to the general public and inform the community. "

This would be illegal in any country that considers itself democratic , and another slipping of Israels mask to reveal a country worse than apartheid South Africa

DeputyEdo

for the love of all things shiny and bright.
The Simon Wiesenthal Center must have feck all else to do......obviously not many nazis left for them to hunt down so they need to branch out.

CptSternn

Seriously? You would think the organisation has better things to do.

I mean, people might buy that costume and wear it once a year. Yet turn on any of the dozen or so History Channels anytime of the day or night and you can bet at least two will be showing something about Hitler.

There are so many shows on ye would think the 'H' in the bottom corner of your screen is for 'Hitler'.

But this group goes after some obscure company in Japan to complain about a costume.

Arracht

If I want to dress up as Hitler for whatever warped reason that may be then I should be able to - regardless of PC bullsht like this. It's really beyond parody at this stage - this lowlife Guardian liberal tokenism...
Wow, Prince Harry posts on p.ie :D I thought you were busy shooting in the direction of Afghan villagers (though from an extremely safe distance to yourself obviously!)

DeputyEdo

"The centre requested that sales at the store cease immediately, saying the swastika was a "symbol of hatred"

ehhhhh...goes to show what the center knows. It's not a symbol of hatred, it's a symbol of luck and good fortune
Swastika - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
But sure, why let the truth get in the way of a good old fashioned Nazi/witch hunt.

myhonorisloyalty666

Hitler outfits are offensive. The Nazis were murdering scumbags after all.
Nazism still inspires racist scumbags to this very day.
Japan by the way does not teach its schoolchildren about the massacres in Nanking, the Baatan death march, the appalling brutality inflicted on Commonwealth prisoners or medical experiments performed on living human test subjects by Japanese doctors.

CptSternn

Do they not know that the swastika is a symbol of good luck in India and is prominently displayed in many public places there?

It amazes me people are so ignorant of the fact outside of their little world there is a larger world where people don't fit into their little pigeon holes.

DeputyEdo

Hitler outfits are offensive. The Nazis were murdering scumbags after all.
Nazism still inspires racist scumbags to this very day.
Japan by the way does not teach its schoolchildren about the massacres in Nanking, the Baatan death march, the appalling brutality inflicted on Commonwealth prisoners or medical experiments performed on living human test subjects by Japanese doctors.
Everything is offensive to someone.
I could say bowler hats are offensive, as they are quintessentially English, and the English invaded our country
I could say the English language is offensive for the same reason
Priests are offensive...should we outlaw them
Rabbis are offensive.....should we outlaw them as well?

You know what the most offensive thing of all is...well to me anyway?
People telling me what I can or can't do. If I want to dress in full Nazi gear and goose step down the main street of every town in Ireland, I will, but someone else forcing their beliefs on me is the most offensive thing there is.

myhonorisloyalty666

Everything is offensive to someone.
I could say bowler hats are offensive, as they are quintessentially English, and the English invaded our country
I could say the English language is offensive for the same reason
Priests are offensive...should we outlaw them
Rabbis are offensive.....should we outlaw them as well?

You know what the most offensive thing of all is...well to me anyway?
People telling me what I can or can't do. If I want to dress in full Nazi gear and goose step down the main street of every town in Ireland, I will, but someone else forcing their beliefs on me is the most offensive thing there is.

Are you going to telling that a bowler hat...

...is just as offensive as an SS officer's cap?

L'Chaim

The Japanese never repented for its war crimes during WWII, never paid reparations and never repented for its support and links to Nazi Germany or for being part of the Axis (Nazi germany, Japan and Italy). The Japanese were made honorary Aryans by Hitler who saw them as racially pure. Emperor Hirohito was never prosecuted for Japan's war crimes and neither he nor any of its military leaders were prosecuted for japan's production of and use of biochemical weapons which it used in WWII. Japan has never repented for any of it, and now it's selling joke Nazi costumes? At least the Wiesenthal Centre doesn't forget Japan's past, even though the rest of the world seems to have.

pujols

I disagree.

While I think that anyone who would think it appropriate or amusing to dress up as Hitler is frankly sad and pathetic, the point is not about the legal freedom to do so; it is about a diminution of the gravity of what happened in Germany under Hitler.

Slowly but surely, I have noticed in everyday conversation a revisionism that somehow, intentionally or otherwise, places the holocaust on a special plane; not quite denying it but minimizing its importance, its relevance to modern life and allowing people to talk around it without addressing its causes, consequences and results.

Many who lived through it feared that this would happen, and I believe also feared that by doing so, the conditions for a re-occurrence could someday come about again.

An important step in the protection of human rights is to prevent a climate whereby the gravity of previous violations is somehow diminished.

That is why we need to resist turning history into halloween...

DeputyEdo

Are you going to telling that a bowler hat...

...is just as offensive as an SS officer's cap?

As far as I know, none of my family were ever harmed by a Nazi...yet I know for a fact, that some of my family died during the famine.
The English did nothing to help Irish people during the famine, they let them starve to death.
So to answer your question...yes...maybe even more so.

DeputyEdo

I disagree.

While I think that anyone who would think it appropriate or amusing to dress up as Hitler is frankly sad and pathetic,
hmmmm....it's appropriate for someone playing Hitler in a movie/tv show to dress as Hitler...yet you think that person is "sad and pathetic"?
Perhaps anyone playing Hitler in a movie/tv show should wear a clown costume instead...with big floppy shows and a big red nose....would that be better?

CookieMonster

The Japanese never repented for its war crimes during WWII, never paid reparations and never repented for its support and links to Nazi Germany or for being part of the Axis (Nazi germany, Japan and Italy). The Japanese were made honorary Aryans by Hitler who saw them as racially pure. Emperor Hirohito was never prosecuted for Japan's war crimes and neither he nor any of its military leaders were prosecuted for japan's production of and use of biochemical weapons which it used in WWII. Japan has never repented for any of it, and now it's selling joke Nazi costumes? At least the Wiesenthal Centre doesn't forget Japan's past, even though the rest of the world seems to have.

While all that is regrettibly true, the Simon Wiesenthal Centre really have lost the plot on this. They have lost their reason for being and are now just a pain in the ass.

Skypeme

I expect that this decision will also be welcomed by Neo-Nazis who see 'this type of thing' as lampooning Hitler, reducing him to a figure of fun and derision.

In fact Hitler and the swastika feature prominently on the UK stations as each year they approach the umpteenth anniversary of their finest hour. Perhaps the centre should campaign for a presentation of the history of the period that does not show either Hitler or the swastika.

Airbrushing Hitler and the swastika out of history will help prevent a reoccurance of the 3rd Reich and all that I'm sure.

pujols

hmmmm....it's appropriate for someone playing Hitler in a movie/tv show to dress as Hitler...yet you think that person is "sad and pathetic"?
Perhaps anyone playing Hitler in a movie/tv show should wear a clown costume instead...with big floppy shows and a big red nose....would that be better?
Do you really not get what the original post was about? :roll:

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies