• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sindo issues clarification on last week's front page on O'Flynn, Nama, FG

Website
www.politics.ie
Twitter
davidcochrane
Last week a thread on Politics.ie referred to a front page story in the Sunday Independent that mentioned the presence of a number of organisations and individuals at a Fine Gael fundraiser two weeks ago (the thread was titled: http://www.politics.ie/media/133955-sunday-independent-attacking-fine-gael-behalf-fianna-fail.html).

On page 3 of tomorrow's Sunday Independent the paper has issued a clarification about the primary target of the article, namely O'Flynn Construction.

We have also been asked to clarify that the transfer to Nama of some of the loans of the O'Flynn Group was of matter of law that was decided by the Oireachtas, that the decision to transfer did not involve Mr O'Flynn, that any loans due to Mr O'Flynn or any company of which he is a director continue to fall due and that no taxpayers monies have gone to him or to any such company.

Part of clarificaion by The Sunday Independent​
I understand that solicitors for Michael O'Flynn have corresponded with the Sunday Independent which has resulted in this clarification being published.

I've also established through reliable sources that O'Flynn's solicitors have corresponded with Lucinda Creighton herself as a result of her remarks this week which were a direct result of the Sunday Independent article. Earlier this week Lucinda Creighton criticised her own party for accepting the donation from O'Flynn, when asked by Gavin Jennings on Radio 1 should the party give it back, she said yes. (http://www.politics.ie/fine-gael/134129-lucinda-creighton-warns-fine-gael-becoming-fianna-fail-lite-calls-end-cute-hoor-politics.html)

Meanwhile the Sunday Business Post's AOB column says that Arthur Cox did not sponsor the event (which is what the Sindo is said to have reported). Fine Gael told the SBPost that it was a "clerical error".

Last edited:

magliam

classic sindo. damage probaly done now. typical of the cheap journalism to be expected from that particular rag.

TonyBird

The most depressing thing for me and I think many others , was Endas insistence that it wasnt 'illegal' .

Thats not the point you fool !

eoghanacht

The most depressing thing for me and I think many others , was Endas insistence that it wasnt 'illegal' .

Here here, morality is one of many things our political class lack.

Tomas Mor

I notce the Sindo has not the "clarification"on it's front page.

hellsbells

Ya have to agree with. FG are looking more and more like fianna scum every day.

thebig C

Ya have to agree with. FG are looking more and more like fianna scum every day.
Thats some leap of faith. One person pays FG to play a round of golf and now they are the same as FF who have, bankrupted the country (again), let all their friends off the financial hook at the expense of the taxpayers, ignored all advice to impose a guarantee which will pauper us for generations, fuel a building bubble just to enrich their friends and party coffers???!!! Don't talk rubbish.

Certainly, FG shouldn't have invited O'Flynn to the golf classic or taken his money. But, there is a very big difference between that and FF!

The Dude

It was the kind of semantic circumventing of morality that Bertie would have been proud of.

I think it's time to stop thinking of FG as an alternative and realise that they are FF in blue shirts. Enda can't be trusted to run a country if he cant run a decent opposition in a time like this

punchdrunk

It was the kind of semantic circumventing of morality that Bertie would have been proud of.

I think it's time to stop thinking of FG as an alternative and realise that they are FF in blue shirts. Enda can't be trusted to run a country if he cant run a decent opposition in a time like this
Wake up and stop falling for spin from Fianna Fail on Sunday. The party which Fianna Fail on Sunday supports has destroyed a wonderful little country. FG did not create the mess.
Now remember that the Sindo were cheerleaders for the economic irresponsibility which has buried the country. Why is the Sindo not attacking Fianna Fail today?
If FG were in power and had bankrupted the country do you seriously believe FF on Sunday would not be on the war path against FG.
Do you seriously believe that FF on Sunday would be attacking FF if the party were in opposition. The Sindo is just an extension of the Fianna Fail press office.
I have purchased my last copy of the Sindo paper today. I also purchased the Sunday Times today. It is three papers for the price of one.

Last edited:

Tomas Mor

WTTR

Website
www.johnfhiggins.eu

That's the modern world for you. We stubbornly refuse to learn from the written down words of wise men of experience over the ages. When house prices rose by a factor of 2.33 between 1996 and 2000, with wages rising by just 21%, no one in Leinster House gave a damn because it was not against the law of the land. The edict of some liberal cranks over in the European Parliament says that knowledge of religious teachings is dangerous and may influence the actions of a politician. See the case of the Italian nomination for a Commissioner's role Buttiglione.

All our DEBT is related to the exploitation and hoped for further exploitation of our young men and women with jumbo mortgages: massive negative equity loans, NAMA, ballooning government debt and deficit, most of the other toxic crap in pension funds, peoples savings etc. If I was a Moslem, I would be quoting some law from the Sharia. The thing is, that what was allowed happen in Ireland is against natural justice, and therefore is wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong! http://www.politics.ie/oireachtas/133601-ronan-mullen-alleged-bullying-13.html#post2839101
For near ten long years we had guys sitting up there in Leinster House, filing in their expenses claims, wondering how to spend their world beating salaries and with not a worry at all. Everything was honky-dory, because it was all done within the law and they had life's vicissitudes and idiosyncrancies all covered through the law making apparatus. Anybody that raised cries of concern were thought of as cranks, possibly tinged with that concept called morality. Sure did not the people vote the same guys in again, again and again! So they grew and grew in the feeling of invincibility and further laughed at all that pious, sacred philosophy.

Everything was done within the law of Leinster House. So, it was a simple exercise by the International Financial Buccaneers to rub up one or two strategic and influential politicians and get laws passed that gave them carte-blanche to rip-off the youth of Ireland. No! our TDs, Senators, MEPs etc will in general have no trucking with religious mumbo jumbo.

The parable of the dishonest steward has to be understood in the light of the Palestinian custom of agents acting on behalf of their masters and the usurious practices common to such agents. The dishonesty of the steward consisted in the squandering of his master's property (Luke 16:1) and not in any subsequent graft. The master commends the dishonest steward who has forgone his own usurious commission on the business transaction by having the debtors write new notes that reflected only the real amount owed the master (i.e., minus the steward's profit). The dishonest steward acts in this way in order to ingratiate himself with the debtors because he knows he is being dismissed from his position (Luke 16:3). The parable, then, teaches the prudent use of one's material goods in light of an imminent crisis. USCCB - NAB - Luke 16
Does anybody think that with little knowledge of the badness in the world, and without religious knowledge to recognise such influences when they stare us in the face, that we are like ducks in a pond to be shot at by the armies of unscrupulous International Financial Buccaneers that are wandering this world today? How these Buccaneers must love national parliaments that separate knowledge of religious teaching from the formation of national laws.

It wasnt "illegal"! Words that will be the dead of us. Unless, unless, unless.........! What day is it? Sunday, the day of rest! What does that mean? When will the EU etc get around to banning it?

Last edited:

johnb

These kinds of clarifications are a weekly occurrence in the Sunday Independent. Can the journalists not be bothered to thoroughly check their facts before submitting their stories?

Also on the issue of Michael O'Flynn attending the FG golf fund raiser, I can see why the optics of having a developer donating to the political party might not look the best. But at the same time while O'Flynn is in NAMA (not by his own choice), to the best of my knowledge all of his loans are performing loans. This man's business is not in the same position as Liam Carroll or Paddy Kelly. O'Flynn is honouring his debts. So I'm just wondering what's the big story here? Is it people's disgust at private companies donating to political parties or is it disgust at Michael O'Flynn (or any developer) donating money to a political party?

Tomas Mor

And what about Lucy having a developer at a fund raiser for herself in the Four Seasons. She is caught out badly. "Do as I say, not as I do "

hellsbells

These kinds of clarifications are a weekly occurrence in the Sunday Independent. Can the journalists not be bothered to thoroughly check their facts before submitting their stories?

Also on the issue of Michael O'Flynn attending the FG golf fund raiser, I can see why the optics of having a developer donating to the political party might not look the best. But at the same time while O'Flynn is in NAMA (not by his own choice), to the best of my knowledge all of his loans are performing loans. This man's business is not in the same position as Liam Carroll or Paddy Kelly. O'Flynn is honouring his debts. So I'm just wondering what's the big story here? Is it people's disgust at private companies donating to political parties or is it disgust at Michael O'Flynn (or any developer) donating money to a political party?
Its the use of the words (not illegal) is was disturbed me most .To the best of my knowledge O Flynn is bust .