• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sindo puff piece on FF ard fheis

carlovian

I know it's the sindo and I know the paper of willie odea and celia Larkin is akin to a ff magazine
but this article is really pushing it.

The headline is FF ard fheis to address biggest reform in the party's history.

FF Ard Fheis to address 'biggest reform in party history' - Independent.ie

What's the reform you ask ?

Well, the sindo doesn't really know but it's something to do with the party keeping its election promises only
the sindo just says that the motion may be something to that effect.

Wow, what an amazing reform.

So at the next election ff will promise things but this time they really will keep the promises.

Or something to that effect !

FakeViking

I know it's the sindo and I know the paper of willie odea and celia Larkin is akin to a ff magazine
but this article is really pushing it.

The headline is FF ard fheis to address biggest reform in the party's history.

FF Ard Fheis to address 'biggest reform in party history' - Independent.ie

What's the reform you ask ?

Well, the sindo doesn't really know but it's something to do with the party keeping its election promises only
the sindo just says that the motion may be something to that effect.

Wow, what an amazing reform.

So at the next election ff will promise things but this time they really will keep the promises.

Or something to that effect !
Noel Whelan was always on about "reform" when Cowen was in office. Sadly the only thing he reformed was several bar stools.

Sync

At this point I've come to the opinion that when people don't feature extracts from the article they're deriding, they're usually being disingenuous.

The reason "biggest reform in history" is in quotations is because it's a quote from an FF TD. It's not the Sindo's words.

It is further understood that a second motion, which proposes major reform on how a future Fianna Fail leader is chosen, will also come before the Ard Fheis on April 26 and 27 next.

Over the course of the last year, Fianna Fail leader Micheal Martin is said to have received advice from international sources on leader election systems. It is understood that, at the Ard Fheis, he intends to open a "consultation process" on his preferred electoral college model.

This model would see elected TDs and senators continue to have a central role in the process, but that all other units of the party would also be involved, with different blocks each having a different weight of votes.
Would you seriously argue the above isn't a huge change? Moving leadership battles to include 20000 rank and file members rather than just TDs and Senators?

The Sindo's a rag but all they've done here is a short article talking about an ongoing conference, the fact that those attending the conference believe new proposals are a big deal, and going into detail on the proposals, one of which does appear to be a big deal.

carlovian

At this point I've come to the opinion that when people don't feature extracts from the article they're deriding, they're usually being disingenuous.

The reason "biggest reform in history" is in quotations is because it's a quote from an FF TD. It's not the Sindo's words.

Would you seriously argue the above isn't a huge change? Moving leadership battles to include 20000 rank and file members rather than just TDs and Senators?

The Sindo's a rag but all they've done here is a short article talking about an ongoing conference, the fact that those attending the conference believe new proposals are a big deal, and going into detail on the proposals, one of which does appear to be a big deal.
Oh come on sync.

Using an unnamed source to justify such a headline ?

That way they can put in any headline they want.

Boy M5

It does seem some change

Bearing in mind Miliband beat Miliband in the Labour leadership election soley due to an electoral college where Union votes made the difference. FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs. It will democratize FF and their Cumann will likely have some power.
Is this an attempt to revitalise the Cumann and wider membership?

truthandjustice

FF can suck my fat one, more free advertising from them idiots in the weekly toilet roll.

Sync

It does seem some change

Bearing in mind Miliband beat Miliband in the Labour leadership election soley due to an electoral college where Union votes made the difference. FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs. It will democratize FF and their Cumann will likely have some power.
Is this an attempt to revitalise the Cumann and wider membership?
Exactly. Seriously, a party opening it's leadership vote up to the public is a huge deal for the party and is worthy of the line "biggest reform in the party's history".

To disagree with that you've got to have a bigger internal reform in FF's history in mind. I'll bet people don't.

controller

No change here. The power will still rest at the top table, not with any Cumann

In relation to future government, it is understood the intention is that a decision on whether to enter negotiations would be for the leader and parliamentary party.

As Da Bart would say "They'll only be playing smokes and daggers"

flavirostris

FF leadership candidates would have to court the base, rather than TDs.
Isn't that what Haughey did in the '70s. He worked the rubber chicken circuit to propel himself into the Taoiseach's office.

controller

The motion has arisen out of criticism directed at Labour, which has been accused of breaking election promises upon entering coalition with Fine Gael.

.............Because that criticism has never been directed at Fianna Failure. I suspect some sort of memory loss......

Zerubbabel

All hail FF NUA ! - We're not like the old FF at all ! (Wink, Wink, Nudge , Nudge, pass the brown envelope)

Spanner Island

I'm not interested in the eFFing traitors 'reforming' anything.

I'd much rather their rancid party just died like the PDs died and like any party which contributed so much to the shambles this country is in now should have...

Regardless of how much window dressing the eFFing traitors indulge in... only those who loathe themselves and who loathe Ireland will vote for the party of sewer rats...

JCR

So FF want to take national politics and issues and put them into a local who you know style politics. Well that wont be of any use at all for the country considering what we require is precisely the opposite. It might be of use for FF of course which after all is all the party is about.

Boy M5

Isn't that what Haughey did in the '70s. He worked the rubber chicken circuit to propel himself into the Taoiseach's office.
He did. He was on the rubber (maybe in his case robber) chicken circuit, when he was on the naughty step alright. He had links into every Cumann in obscure places, had knew the TDs and candidates, he knew the important people in FF. this gave him an advantage. Haughey was charismatic, I met him once at a non political community event he attended. In future every candidate to be FF leader will have to do something like this, given the stronger charisma required will this give FF a competitive advantage against FG?

Also does this mean that FF will become more populist in policies? Look where their populism has taken us in the past.

darach

If the reforms are passed, FF members will also get to vote on any coalition option which is significant.

Boy M5

If the reforms are passed, FF members will also get to vote on any coalition option which is significant.
Thanks. That is.

Eoin Coir

FF and reform, well I never. And what part will Eoghan Harris play in it ?

Old Irish

The only way FF can reform is to disappear. Like Spanner says disappear just like the PD's did. Oh how I would love if that happened. It sickens me that my tax money pays their wages. FF is the biggest waste of space you could possibly have in Politics. They will never be trusted again to be voted in so what the hell is the point in the party even existing?

The only way FF can reform is to disappear. Like Spanner says disappear just like the PD's did. Oh how I would love if that happened. It sickens me that my tax money pays their wages. FF is the biggest waste of space you could possibly have in Politics. They will never be trusted again to be voted in so what the hell is the point in the party even existing?
as shocking as this will seem to you. I suspect that FF/SF will form the next government in this country.

topcat4

M Martin is proving to be far far cleverer than people gave him credit for.

He was touted when elected FF leader as being the only FF leader never to be Taoiseach.

Given FF's recent meteoric rise in the polls, and lets be honest borne out by their more than credible performance in the Meath East by-election.

M Martin is doing something right!!!!

Just for the record I'm not an FF supporter.