Singapore-on-Thames : can it work?

GrimReefer

I have a friend who spent six months working in Singapore. He described the place as beyond creepy. Do you know that they have a law that demands that dead bodies be cremated?
Do you know that shortage of land in Singapore implies that this is the only way to manage dead bodies effectively?

Could you elaborate on the phrase "beyond creepy"? I have worked there for approximately thirty times longer than your friend, so maybe he had a special insight that I didn't.

Mind you, I think their National Day is super creepy, the propaganda and messages are explicitly about perfect home and scary elsewhere, stay alert at all times while loving all races equally. It's cheesier than the Eurovision, and more direct on messaging than Breitbart. And their national day songs would make Kim Jong Il green with nausea.

Other than that, you can do anything you want there. Go out, party, get laid, talk to anyone you want about anything.

GrimReefer

In the spirit of your closing sentence.

You wasted your time posting nonsense eon the "Singapore model2", as you would posting on any "XXX model".

Outside the EU custom union (and hence common market), the UK can stop the punitive restrictions and remove the substantial taxes and charges currently placed on their citizens that have the temerity of wanting to trade with non-EU entities.

I'm sorry I wasn't listening. Could you repeat that again?

stopdoingstuff

Certainly, London dwarfs Singapore in size of financial services, however Singaporean incomes per capita and general wealth levels make the UK look a little tatty.
That is because it is an urban center and does not have the countryside GDP to bring the average down. The correct comparison is between cities and not between a city and a country.

GDPR

At nearly 8,000 people per sq. km I think they have better uses for the limited supply of land.
Not only if you are Christian but if you a Muslim or a Jew cremation is one of the most evil things that you can do.

GrimReefer

They're a very firm ally of the US and along with their compulsory military service, they're very keen to ensure that their interests are protected from grasping neighbours. A very highly educated people who are determined to make the most from their tiny land mass.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk
They have dozens of fighter jets, and thousands of acres in Australia for doing manoeuvres. Their militarisation is ridiculous for their size. Ridiculous in the sense that it's appropriate for a far larger country, but not ridiculous when it's all part of the walk softly and carry a big stick method of communicating with its jealous neighbours who wish some freak tidal wave would come and wash away this glaring example of their own inadequacy.

Yes, the US is their military pal, this is going to receive overt attention from China at some stage, but at symbolic and diplomatic level. I'm sure somewhere in Beijing, there's a plan to park warships in Singapore instead of the Yanks in the far distant future, once they've sorted out Taiwan and the Spratly Islands. At some stage, China's warm elder brotherliness to Singapore will turn to expectations of filial piety. But I can't say when that would happen.

NMunsterman

You clearly know nothing about economics, but you brag about ignoring people who do.

Is that plain enough?
Why don't you analyze and comment on "GrimReefer's" 10 points - rather than attempting to have a cut at him ?

GrimReefer

Not only if you are Christian but if you a Muslim or a Jew cremation is one of the most evil things that you can do.
You can take it from me that the Singapore government consults pretty directly with the Islamic community on anything related to their religious practices. There is zero chance ever of the government doing anything to offend Islam. Ever.

Anyway, it's not actually true that you are forced to cremate everyone. Maybe that answer your "did you know" comment that everyone must be cremated.

see

Burial, Cremation & Ash Storage

The body may be buried or cremated depending on the wishes and religion of the deceased.
Burial is highly regulated and extremely efficient. It's all laid on.

Seriously, just pause for a second and ask yourself what would happen if the Islamic community were offended by government regulations. The Islamic community in Singapore is treated with kid gloves. Malays even get free university education, and only Malays do. The chances of Singapore forcing some kind of haram deal are non existent. The forks and spoons from Muslim food stalls are coloured differently and washed separately in food courts.

GrimReefer

You clearly know nothing about economics, but you brag about ignoring people who do.

Is that plain enough?

Nope, still can't hear a thing. Maybe try another app? You'd think they'd fix the internet after all this time, but still silly situations like these occur. (shrugs) what can you do, eh?

GrimReefer

Why don't you analyze and comment on "GrimReefer's" 10 points - rather than attempting to have a cut at him ?
Arrah, he'll be alright. Just point him at some windmills, plonk him on a donkey, put a cardboard sword in his hand, and leave him to it.

His staggering genius will shine through soon enough.

GDPR

You can take it from me that the Singapore government consults pretty directly with the Islamic community on anything related to their religious practices. There is zero chance ever of the government doing anything to offend Islam. Ever.

Anyway, it's not actually true that you are forced to cremate everyone. Maybe that answer your "did you know" comment that everyone must be cremated.

see

Burial, Cremation & Ash Storage

Burial is highly regulated and extremely efficient. It's all laid on.

Seriously, just pause for a second and ask yourself what would happen if the Islamic community were offended by government regulations. The Islamic community in Singapore is treated with kid gloves. Malays even get free university education, and only Malays do. The chances of Singapore forcing some kind of haram deal are non existent. The forks and spoons from Muslim food stalls are coloured differently and washed separately in food courts.
Thanks for that. I seem to have heard wrong than.

GrimReefer

100% agree with that.

This is an existential challenge to the EU.

Forget this "lez-all-be-friends" and a "win-win" scenario - the UK has effectively declared war on the EU - and there can be only one winner.

This has to be the EU.

Period.

In the immortal words of Ordell Robbie :

"That, my friend, is a clear cut case of him or me - and you best believe, it ain't gonna' be me".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Spte9v0QlM
Yeah. ************************ them.

My comment to some pals in the Commission after Brexit referendum was, give the Brits a bloody difficult time. What I didn't realise then was how spectacularly bad they (the Brits) would be at finding their a_rse with a map. Patience and leaving out more rope seems to work best for the EU and it's all a merry show so far. Can't wait to see their next efforts at driving wedges between EU countries in round two fall spectacularly. Even the Polish government aren't going cause that much trouble, soon the UK will be seen as a carcass to pick at, rather than an ally to turn on one's neighbour.

Jack O Neill

Because that's what they (unwittingly) voted for?
nah , they voted for the empires return , the poles kicked out , and not been shown up as the classroom dunces by the Germans , ogh and an extra 3000000000000000000000 billion bilion billion for the NHS , bless em

Spirit Of Newgrange

the UK is a complete basket case :
- spoilt fat tattooed kids underachieving at school
- teenage single mums having kids with refugees and laying the bill at the foot of the taxpayer
- third or fourth generations of long-term dole dependence
- ghettos
- anti social behaviour
- crime, drugs, gangs etc

Singapore is a heaven by comparison.

Tribal

Excellent opener for a discussion.

If Singapore is relevant in the Brexit context it's entirely to do with London and not England. England would become the hinterland for the city state of London for drawing in service workers, like Indonesia and Malaysia are to Singapore.

Singapore sounds more like a modern Venice really and as a nation state it has more in common with Ireland than the UK. The Irish Republic was a rebellion against oppressive genocidal British rule and Singapore was established by ethnic Chinese in Malaysia in response to Sino-Malay racial tensions common in the 60s and before.

It's hard to believe now but Singapore trade city plan was based on Rangoon, which before Burma turned insular had been the premier trading port in that region.

It does seems to have its limitations though.

Last edited:

Jim Car

SOT you need free marketeers for that. not going to happen if Labour are the one in control, also would not happen if they some how remind part of the EU and the EU is not a free trade organisation except for those within it.

NMunsterman

the UK is a complete basket case :
- spoilt fat tattooed kids underachieving at school
- teenage single mums having kids with refugees and laying the bill at the foot of the taxpayer
- third or fourth generations of long-term dole dependence
- ghettos
- anti social behaviour
- crime, drugs, gangs etc

Singapore is a heaven by comparison.
But they can forget all that every Saturday to go and support their soccer teams.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies