Single Mother Awarded €3,000 Because Landlord Wanted a Couple.

YesSireeeBob

Dublin estate agent must pay

This is a very interesting case and I wounder what the consequences will be.

Could a group of students, or flat sharers have claimed as they were denied housing?

I think what we will see advertised any more is just the price for the property, and if anybody is interested then they should apply.

They will be no more "might suit couple", "would suit professional", "might suit working female", "suit student", "would best suit a mature single person or couple", which I have seen on ads.

Everyone will be told yes we accept couples/students/hap/single mothers ect but in reality they will take who they want.
This will waste the landlords/agents and prospective tenants time.

A Dublin-based estate agent has been ordered to pay €3,000 to a single mother .... after telling her that the landlord was looking for a couple for the property.

The woman claimed she had been discriminated against under the Equal Status Act on the grounds of her being a single mother and not in a relationship.

The woman claimed she had been discriminated against under the Equal Status Act on the grounds of her being a single mother and not in a relationship.

She said she was a “single mum with one toddler. I’m looking to rent using the Housing Assistance Payment scheme, which means rent is paid directly to the landlord’s bank account from Dublin City Council.
Could you let me know if this would be agreeable. Thank you.”

In reply, the estate agent stated: “HAP is acceptable but the landlord is looking for a couple here, I’m afraid. Apologies on this.

The WRC’s report states that “for her the message was clear; the landlord wanted couples only, and she, as a single mother, had no chance of getting the apartment; the email was a ‘firm no’, a ‘flat refusal’ and in her opinion to say anything else is ‘ridiculous’.

For her, this was a case of a one-parent family being refused access to housing.”

farnaby

Strange case. Surely an advert to rent a property falls under "invitation to treat" and the choice of tenant is at the discretion of the landlord (provided some very specific discrimination rules are respected).

And if this was the landlord's instruction, why is the estate agent paying? Shooting the messenger.

troll account

No one in Australia will rent to an Irish these days they are deemed scum ..prostitutes also avoid Irish

PC Principle

No one in Australia will rent to an Irish these days they are deemed scum ..prostitutes also avoid Irish
When Irish knackers stop bar fighting and being general degenerates them maybe you might have a point.

Until then I'd never rent my place out to Irish boggers if I were an Ozzie landlord.

Watcher2

Strange case. Surely an advert to rent a property falls under "invitation to treat" and the choice of tenant is at the discretion of the landlord (provided some very specific discrimination rules are respected).

And if this was the landlord's instruction, why is the estate agent paying? Shooting the messenger.
Marital status is protected under the legislation so its directly prohibited to discriminate on that basis. She had a cut and dry case. Indeed it is interesting the agent got sued but I suppose its no defence to claim you carried out QN illegal act for someone else.

TheWolf

she has, but she turned down a 2 b/r apartment in Clontarf before that,and state prepared to pay for it.
I'm sure the next person on the list took it, probably because it wasn't on the other side of the city from her family and her child's school.
The problem you and your ilk have with the likes of Erica Flemming and Maurice McCabe etc, is that they expose the flaws in yor government's state agencies.
Whistleblowers are to be smeared and attacked at any cost, in order to protect the princesses of the PS/CS who are incapable of doing the job we pay them to do in a correct manner.

gijoe

I think it would fall foul of the Equal Status Act under 'family status'.

Watcher2

I'm sure the next person on the list took it, probably because it wasn't on the other side of the city from her family and her child's school.
The problem you and your ilk have with the likes of Erica Flemming and Maurice McCabe etc, is that they expose the flaws in yor government's state agencies.
Whistleblowers are to be smeared and attacked at any cost, in order to protect the princesses of the PS/CS who are incapable of doing the job we pay them to do in a correct manner.
FFS, I don't think Erica Flemming is in the same league as Maurice McCabe.

Destiny's Soldier

I wonder when will single people sue other people in the courts because they were rejected by a member of the opposite sex?

He rejected me because he didn't consider me attractive enough or that I was too fat or too small or that I was a member of the travelling community or that I was black etc or that I came from the wrong side of the city.

Even better will a Heterosexual person be sued for rejecting the advances of a Homosexual person? They hate gays etc.

Destiny's Soldier

In the case mentioned, if there is a law that prevents discrimination against a single person with a child in regard to renting a house, why isn't the fine the rental management company has to pay (€3000) paid to the state? Why is it given to the mother?

TheWolf

FFS, I don't think Erica Flemming is in the same league as Maurice McCabe.
I didn't say she was.
She is a whistleblower who exposes the madness of the way the state is attempting to provide social housing here though.
Contrarian as usual, eh?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies