• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Sinn Féin accept that Kingsmill was morally wrong and sectarian

North Of the Border

Very good. Although I heard a SF representative denying that it was the IRA and it couldn't of been them as Republicans weren't sectarian....Whats your take Factual?

factual

Very good. Although I heard a SF representative denying that it was the IRA and it couldn't of been them as Republicans weren't sectarian....Whats your take Factual?
I take this to mean that the IRA did it and that Sinn Féin believe it to have been wrong.

daniels

Interesting - OK, the draft-dodger says this - It would have more strength if it came from one of those who were in the IRA, and of course "what about the six people who were murdered the day before?". Progress of a kind - was it a crime Mitchell ?
I remember the time well, Cruimh. 1976 was the second worst year of all, more for sectarian murders from both sides than Provo bombs. Only a month after the double onslaught of january came the revenge attack in Claudy of a young man shot in a pub five nights afterr two policemen were shot in the same street, one fatally, on the night of the death of Frank Stagg on hunger strike in Yorkshire.

Cruimh

I remember the time well, Cruimh. 1976 was the second worst year of all, more for sectarian murders from both sides than Provo bombs. Only a month after the double onslaught of january came the revenge attack in Claudy of a young man shot in a pub five nights afterr two policemen were shot in the same street, one fatally, on the night of the death of Frank Stagg on hunger strike in Yorkshire.
Ugly times, hopefully they will stay in the past.

Progress - when people can admit these murders were crimes.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

I don't think the IRA could say they did it because it would seem it wasn't an act sanctioned by their leadership, hence why it was done under a false name.

It is a fair enough point about the six Catholics murdered just the day before and the many others loyalists carried out previous to it that suddenly rapidly declined about this outrage. It shouldn't have taken this, although loyalists want to provoke reactions and this time they got one and didn't like that.

As I said before the rogue elements who carried this out should have been knee capped, how they can live with this on this conscience is beyond me.

Cruimh

I don't think the IRA could say they did it because it would seem it wasn't an act sanctioned by their leadership, hence why it was done under a false name.
We saw the same shenanigans over the robbery that led to the murder of Garda McCabe - Leadership deniablily. That was unauthorised supposedly, then it turns out it was authorised but only part way up the command chain etc etc.

collina

Good news if the IRA are holding their hands up for what was a facist-type masacre of innocent workmen. More questions remain about Kingsmill however.

likesfish

if a squad of say paras had decided on their own bat to go out an say mai lai a village :(
nobody would have let the britsh army off the hook reguarding the resulting massacre.

your people your guns your fault:( A fake name and claiming it was unathuorised is trying
to explain the indefenisable.

S

SeamusNapoleon

:shock:
:lol::lol:
I was a bit wary of that post myself - thought it was a wind-up for a minute.
So, if the IRA did indeed do it, they only need to apologise; par for the course with Cameron and Bloody Sunday, right?

John McCormick

Surely they should do the same over Enniskillen, Babayro, Orange Hall murders

None of these could be explained away in PIRA speak as 'mistakes' like the Shankill bombing, La mon ans so many other outrages.

Tomas Mor

Surely they should do the same over Enniskillen, Babayro, Orange Hall murders

None of these could be explained away in PIRA speak as 'mistakes' like the Shankill bombing, La mon ans so many other outrages.
They will only admit massacres which were "accidents"or committed by some of the more lunatic fringe.

Cruimh

On Slugger - Do SF accept that it WAS the IRA ?

Did Mitchell really say

Mr McMcLaughlin said he was prepared to accept the findings of an international reputable body that carried out an impartial truth process for everyone that had been involved in the conflict.
"I am prepared to accept the evidence if I have access to that independent process, I am prepared, even though I believe and have believed up to this point the denials by the IRA that they were involved in it," he said.

vaudeville

I was a bit wary of that post myself - thought it was a wind-up for a minute.
So, if the IRA did indeed do it, they only need to apologise; par for the course with Cameron and Bloody Sunday, right?
I'm for the truth in the right circumstances.

easycal

On Slugger - Do SF accept that it WAS the IRA ?

Did Mitchell really say
Why do you not accept it at face value ... The IRA were not all sectarian murderers .... Every armed grouping had members that were murderers that went beyond their boundaries..... Think about Bloody Sunday etc, the Paras went on a murder spree, and they lied about their actions and said they were slaughtering IRA members, even though the whole world could see the video reels, they were massacring civilians. The British government defended them right up to the last.
To me, SF have admitted that some of their members went rogue and massacred a group of innocent men. Their own members (involved in this incident) lied about their actions right up to the last. Give SF credit for acknowledging the murders. I hope they eloborate on their feeling on the matter and make the apology more unqualified.
And i hope the truth about other massacres and the appropriate apologies come out as a result (on both sides), so that all the familes involved will get some peace.
It doesnt take 200million to investigate every incident ... Families want the truth and the appropriate apologies, in order to move on.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

We saw the same shenanigans over the robbery that led to the murder of Garda McCabe - Leadership deniablily. That was unauthorised supposedly, then it turns out it was authorised but only part way up the command chain etc etc.
Different decade, different unit, different incident. Not all are the same.

I can't see they sanctioning something like that. I think it should be recognised what brought on the deed, it wouldn't have happened only for loyalists murdering people left, right and centre to provoke a reaction they got and it was those poor people who got the brunt of it.

All said, again, I think they should have been punished severely by the leadership. I hope they're rotting whoever did it. They bring shame on people like myself and it wasn't done in my name, f**k them.

John McCormick

Why do you not accept it at face value ... The IRA were not all sectarian murderers .... Every armed grouping had members that were murderers that went beyond their boundaries..... Think about Bloody Sunday etc, the Paras went on a murder spree, and they lied about their actions and said they were slaughtering IRA members, even though the whole world could see the video reels, they were massacring civilians. The British government defended them right up to the last.
To me, SF have admitted that some of their members went rogue and massacred a group of innocent men. Their own members (involved in this incident) lied about their actions right up to the last. Give SF credit for acknowledging the murders. I hope they eloborate on their feeling on the matter and make the apology more unqualified.
And i hope the truth about other massacres and the appropriate apologies come out as a result (on both sides), so that all the familes involved will get some peace.
It doesnt take 200million to investigate every incident ... Families want the truth and the appropriate apologies, in order to move on.
Why not have a Truth Commission to get it all out in the open or at least a fair majority of it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies