Sinn Féin bite the bullet and tell their supporters to vote for Pro-Westminster candidates

Antóin Mac Comháin

McDonald 'comfortable' asking Sinn Féin voters to back unionist

Ms McDonald said there was no contradiction in asking republicans to vote for a unionist.

“It sits very comfortably with me to ask and invite voters to thoughtfully do the right thing,” she said.

“And in this case it means defying hard Brexiteers, the likes of Nigel Dodds, the likes of the DUP candidates who have very, very recklessly acted against the interests of everybody.

“Whether you call yourself a unionist or a nationalist, a republican or a loyalist, we actually have many, many interests in common.”

Is Mary Lou McDonald blind? Will the faithful swallow the latest SF u-turn? I think they will, but I think this will ultimately prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back. As Mary Lou McDonald comes from a FF background, and never subscribed to the core ideological position or any of the fundamental principles of Irish Republicanism, it doesn't surprise me that she claims she can't see the contradiction. Anyone with a functioning brain-cell can see it, so I don't think there's any need to elaborate. The volume of people that swallow this and vote for them, is a measure of the IQ of the electorate, and only a special kind of stupid would vote for SF in any election from this point forward, and at the same time, believe that it's another step towards wherever they tell the sheep they are leading them.

Last edited:

McTell

Twitter
No
They still have 100 miles of barrier walls between communities.

That's a border within NI almost as long as the other border.

redneck

Ms McDonald said there was no contradiction in asking republicans to vote for a unionist.

“It sits very comfortably with me to ask and invite voters to thoughtfully do the right thing,” she said.

“And in this case it means defying hard Brexiteers, the likes of Nigel Dodds, the likes of the DUP candidates who have very, very recklessly acted against the interests of everybody.

“Whether you call yourself a unionist or a nationalist, a republican or a loyalist, we actually have many, many interests in common.”

Is Mary Lou McDonald blind? Will the faithful swallow the latest SF u-turn? I think they will, but I think this will ultimately prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back. As Mary Lou MacDonald comes from a FF background, and never subscribed to the core ideological position or any of the fundamental principles of Irish Republicanism, it doesn't surprise me that she claims she can't see the contradiction. Anyone with a functioning brain-cell can see it, so I don't think there's any need to elaborate. The volume of people that swallow this and vote for them, is a measure of the IQ of the electorate, and only a special kind of stupid would vote for SF in any election from this point forward, and at the same time, believe that it's another step towards wherever they tell the sheep they are leading them.
The media and Irish political establishment have been calling for S.F and Ms McDonald for years to abandon abstentionism. This is a step towards that. It is also a "Remain" alliance.
This is an important vote and it is imho just S.F being realistic. The situation on the ground shows that the Sdlp and others have a chance to block the DUP.

NMunsterman

Is Mary Lou McDonald blind? Will the faithful swallow the latest SF u-turn? I think they will, but I think this will ultimately prove to be the straw that broke the camel's back. As Mary Lou MacDonald comes from a FF background, and never subscribed to the core ideological position or any of the fundamental principles of Irish Republicanism, it doesn't surprise me that she claims she can't see the contradiction. Anyone with a functioning brain-cell can see it, so I don't think there's any need to elaborate. The volume of people that swallow this and vote for them, is a measure of the IQ of the electorate, and only a special kind of stupid would vote for SF in any election from this point forward, and at the same time, believe that it's another step towards wherever they tell the sheep they are leading them.

Everyone knows the North is finished as an entity.

A Re-United Ireland is inevitable.

redneck

MLM is not the decision maker

- she just does not call the shots

Its the men in the shadows do that

- and they are run by SIS

SF ceased being an Irish Nationalist Party a good number of years ago now.
It is the UDA/UVF who seem to be calling the shots in Unionism now.

Levellers

Good short term move by MLMcD. There will be no significant progress on this island until the whole country is independent. As Connolly predicated on partition a 'carnival of reaction' would ensue.

NMunsterman

Good short term move by MLMcD. There will be no significant progress on this island until the whole country is independent. As Connolly predicated on partition a 'carnival of reaction' would ensue.

A Re-United Ireland is inevitable - partition of the country has been an absolute disaster and has unecessarily poisoned relations between Ireland and our neighbouring island of Britain.

Britain publicly dumping on the DUP and humiliating them is making it clear to the DUP that Britain is no longer willing to support the dysfunctional, sectarian basket-case that is the North.
Hardcore DUP supporters will of course always support the DUP - but not necessarily all Unionists.

Game's up.

jmcc

Can understand the political motivations of having others who wish to sit in Westminster elected but there's a possibility that Mary Lou could be on the way to becoming the Brenda Howlin of SF.

Supra

The Union of the 6 Counties with the 26 Counties is Unionism in Ireland .
No it isn't. Unionism is separate Countries working together. In a United Ireland there would only be one Country and it can't be in a Union with itself.

The Herren

MLM is not the decision maker

- she just does not call the shots

Its the men in the shadows do that

- and they are run by SIS

SF ceased being an Irish Nationalist Party a good number of years ago now.
Sinn Fein was never a Nationalist party.

McTell

Twitter
No
It's no big deal, one of the Heroes of the Recent Nationalist Workers' Struggle against British Imperialism was on a board of directors with an english royal.

That's off the menu for now......

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies