Sinn Féin bite the bullet and tell their supporters to vote for Pro-Westminster candidates

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Olde Catholic English or the new fangled one? Be mindful of linguistic heresies here now, sir.

NMunsterman

bang bang

The late late show gay byrne special last night was powerful. To hear Gay Byrne talking to the Omagh bombing victims reminds us what animals SF support / argue for
SF don't support or argue for the people who carried out the Omagh bombing. These people are diametrically opposed to and indeed detest SF who they regard as traitors. You really need to get over your obsession with SF and your gra for British army and loyalist killers and extremists. You'll feel better.

bang bang

I was referring to the Lisbon Treaty, when we were asked to vote twice, because we obviously voted the wrong way the first time, but if you want to pretend otherwise, knock yourself out: Twenty-eighth Amendment of the Constitution of Ireland ...

I actually like the idea of a European Union of sorts, but that's not going to alter the blatant anti-democratic nature of the institution.

When Bobby Sands was elected, Republicans were opposed to the EU.

Lest we Forget – Security Forces Created Shankill UDA ...

OK, but if the Security Forces effectively created and controlled the UDA, what does that say about people who support the former?

Leinster House and Stormont being the buffers between the Irish Republic and British Capitalism, people like McAllister have adopted the same ideological position as the counter-revolutionary National Army types of the 1920's, so your tone, implying that I have nothing but contempt for Irish nationals and interesting fellow-travelers, doesn't surprise me in the least.
The majority of people would have a different opinion on plenty of issues now compared to 1981, I would suggest. I have been a Republican all my life and unlike a lot of my contemporaries have always been in favour of the EU and still am, problems aside. I have of course altered my opinion on some other issues. That's life.

bang bang

Yo
Not true in the context of Irish Republicanism.
Where or when have you ever heard Sinn Fein describe themselves as Nationalists?
On the contrary they always go out of their way to use the phrase "Republicans AND Nationalists". Although since their killing machine , PIRA, has eased off on their favourite past time they have hinted at acceptance of the Nationalist tag.
You are of course, quite wrong. No surprise there.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Nationalism only became a swear word when powerful interests wanted a supranational world. There are many more examples of diplomacy at work between nations historically speaking than there were wars.

Wars are loud and with lots of bright lights. Diplomacy is quiet and mostly unseen. I hate the fact that nationalism has become the playing of right wing social reactionaries. Nationalism need not be such a negative thing. It is only negative when nationalism is used to advance exceptionalism, as with the conversion of nationalism into imperial aspirations.

If we had no nationalism at all we'd still have the problem of localism in our politics to deal with. Pot-hole politics at the root of it. Is it so bad to want your country to be mature, unaggressive, diplomatic and generally successful in maintaining its cultural place in the world? I don't think so. In fact I think it is natural and it doesn't have to automatically contain a threat to other societies or cultures.

bells of shando

Sinn Fein is an irrelevance in Irish politics. There adoption of the Globohomo consensus alienated their core supporters.
A phoney Nationalist Party that favour the killing of its future citizens in the form of defenceless unborn babies has no credibility.
The decision to adopt identity politics and the victimhood meme of LGBT does not appeal to the mainstream, whose interest is bread, butter and home. Sinn Fein can supply neither.
Their support of Mass Migration is not in line with a Nationalist Party,especially with a name like Sinn Fein, (Ourselves alone)

Brits out,3rd world in, SF are a joke. good riddance.

Most Replies