• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn Fein church gate collection

the secretary

This morning I was faced with passing two members of Sinn Fein when collecting their party's national church gate collection on the way into mass.
Both were well known to me.
I resented giving them some of my change due to the stance on abortion that their party has taken. Against my will I did give them some money.
But, before I parted with my cash I told them that they had some nerve to come to the gate collecting and cited that it was because of their position on abortion . Both just laughed. One of the collectors is an atheist and openly makes little of those who go to mass at the weekends.
Another man was following me in and told them he agreed fully with what I had just said.
Did anyone else meet SF members this morning and think the same thing?
Was I right to make my feelings on them be known?

carlovian

Just leave the party Peadar.

It's the easiest way.

harshreality

Pardon me for asking but why did you donate? Has it become compulsory to contribute to church gate collections all of a sudden?

In answer to your final point, yes you were right, and well entitled to make your thoughts known but you undid it all by contributing!

Rural

Didn't see anyone, but then I don't go to church and haven't left the house all day (cheaper).:)

Catalpast

This morning I was faced with passing two members of Sinn Fein when collecting their party's national church gate collection on the way into mass.
I resented giving them some of my change due to the stance on abortion that their party has taken. Against my will I did give them some money.
But, before I parted with my cash I told them that they had some nerve to come to the gate collecting and cited that it was because of their position on abortion . Both just laughed. One of the collectors is an atheist and openly makes little of those who go to mass at the weekends.
Another man was following me in and told them he agreed fully with what I had just said.
Against my will I did give them some money.

Unless they held you up at gunpoint

- then it wasn't against your will then was it?:roll:

If this was outside a Catholic Church then yes its completely hypocritical of SF to do it

- but hey what's new?:D

theObserver@hotmail.com

flavirostris

When is the FF chuch gate collection. I have a brown manilla envelope I want to toss into their collection bucket.

Plebian

The mind boggles, the OP is I think an FFer and felt he had to contribute to put up a show of not being a miserable or confrontational character or something. WTF?

It's also worth noting that a lot of woman who are in life changing debt because of FFs stoking of the property bubble will have abortions directly as a result of the financial situation that FF has put them in. Heal thyself first physician, me thinks.

Last edited:

sic transit

Ah one of these.

I am annoyed because ________ party was outside my church collecting, Who else wants to rant about this?

Tea Party Patriot

sic transit

cricket

SF are like so many others recently, finding it very hard to get money from the banks.

Sync

You're right to make your feelings known. You're also right to turn all of your financial affairs over to your significant other/mammy as you're quite clearly incapable of managing them yourself.

I fully expect your next OP to be "someone offered me some magic beans for my life savings. Against my better judgement I carried out the swap. Afterwards I told them I disagreed with magic beans. Was I right to tell him this?"

Warrior of Destiny

A friend of mine in SF asked me to buy party raffle tickets for an event last year. I told him to f**k off. Was I right to tell him this?

Fr.Ted Crilly

A friend of mine in SF asked me to buy party raffle tickets for an event last year. I told him to f**k off. Was I right to tell him this?
You could just have said no.
Nice way to treat your friends.

Socratus O' Pericles

This fellow asked hundreds of thousands of people to give up to 20 % of their money to these other fellows who had fu(ked up in their business.......they all said yes more or less. And whats more in 2016 or sooner they're going to put a similar chap back in position to do the same.