Sinn Fein hail Orange Orders Easter Rising seminar

Irish-Rationalist

Senior Sinn Fein figures have praised the Orange Order for holding a conference on the 1916 Easter Rising.

Declan Kearney MLA, the party's national chairman, and Sean Lynch MLA attended the Understanding 1916 - Easter Rising discussion in Enniskillen on Thursday. It was jointly organised by the local Orange Order, Church of Ireland and local Presbyterians and Methodists.

Speaking after the event, Mr Kearney said: "I congratulate the Orange Order and the Protestant section of our community in Fermanagh for organising this discussion on the Easter Rising.

"I fully agree with the comments of the Grand Master, Stuart Booker, when he emphasised that such initiatives should not be about agreeing or disagreeing on our history, but about developing greater understanding through listening and speaking.

"I said in my own contribution from the floor that it is quite valid for us as a society to agree to disagree, but that willingness to engage with each other on the basis of equality must be paramount. Engagement about our differences increases mutual understanding, and that builds national respect.

"This represents the way forward to building an inclusive, equal, agreed and shared future. I hope we can look forward to similar initiatives, as that taken by the Orange Order and Protestant churches in Fermanagh, being organised elsewhere."
Sinn Fein MLAs hail Orange Order's Easter Rising seminar - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

With the Twaddell dispute having reached a conclusion, a recent lifting of the ban on members attending Catholic services, and now this conference on the Easter rising, the Orange Order would seem to be making a genuine attempt at progress and lifting themselves out of the dark ages.

Full commendations to the Orange Order.

death or glory

Senior Sinn Fein figures have praised the Orange Order for holding a conference on the 1916 Easter Rising.

Sinn Fein MLAs hail Orange Order's Easter Rising seminar - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

With the Twaddell dispute having reached a conclusion, a recent lifting of the ban on members attending Catholic services, and now this conference on the Easter rising, the Orange Order would seem to be making a genuine attempt at progress and lifting themselves out of the dark ages.

Swords,
the ban on not attending mass has not been lifted yet but I agree it is only a matter of time before it does because most rural Orange men including myself ignore this rue anyway.

GDPR

Scandalously the ROI government pumps a lot of money into the Orange Order- I suspect this is down to them demanding a quid pro quo from the Lodge. Obviously the type of hooker that BtB favours and the quality of cocaine he desires dont come cheap so he has been prepared to bend his flaunted "Principles" a little bit.

Irish-Rationalist

Swords,
the ban on not attending mass has not been lifted yet but I agree it is only a matter of time before it does because most rural Orange men including myself ignore this rue anyway.
I'm sure you're a regular attender at mass, Swords.

death or glory

Scandalously the ROI government pumps a lot of money into the Orange Order- I suspect this is down to them demanding a quid pro quo from the Lodge. Obviously the type of hooker that BtB favours and the quality of cocaine he desires dont come cheap so he has been prepared to bend his flaunted "Principles" a little bit.
REF,
don't be so sore on yourself, don't do it for the money, do it for the pleasure.

Mickeymac

Good luck to Kearney/Lynch if they think these dinosaurs can be brought from 1690 to modern day thinking.

CastleRay

Is this Fermanagh OO event considered unusual? There was a seminar on the 1916 Rebellion held in Dundonald Orange Hall around Easter time.

death or glory

Is this Fermanagh OO event considered unusual? There was a seminar on the 1916 Rebellion held in Dundonald Orange Hall around Easter time.
CR,
its Fermanagh time, they are always about 6 months behind.

CastleRay

CR,
its Fermanagh time, they are always about 6 months behind.
Understood. But the OP suggested it as a post-Crumlin Road resolution fig leaf. I had presumed the OO had organised / been involved in these seminars and presentations on 1916 rebellion throughout Northern Ireland already. The local lodges in my area advertised and did theirs but there was no media interest.

McSlaggart

Understood. But the OP suggested it as a post-Crumlin Road resolution fig leaf. I had presumed the OO had organised / been involved in these seminars and presentations on 1916 rebellion throughout Northern Ireland already. The local lodges in my area advertised and did theirs but there was no media interest.
How did they advertise the event?

Irish-Rationalist

You presume a lot.

Provide evidence of your local lodges "advertising".

CastleRay

How did they advertise the event?
I can't recall where I saw it advertised TBH whether in papers or on noticeboards. Likely to have been local newspaper. It was months ago and held in the Comber Road hall.

vivabrigada

I would say the "Seminar" included some ranting- I wonder if Curious George gave a presentation.
Wee Curious George will quietly be put on gardening leave. Fair dues to the OO on this, it's just a pity our resident Fermanagh Orangeman on here won't be following suit anytime soon.

between the bridges

The OO in Fermanagh must have an active PR department...

between the bridges

Wee Curious George will quietly be put on gardening leave. Fair dues to the OO on this, it's just a pity our resident Fermanagh Orangeman on here won't be following suit anytime soon.
Tea egg windbag let's off another brainfart...

Irish-Rationalist

I can't recall where I saw it advertised TBH whether in papers or on noticeboards. Likely to have been local newspaper. It was months ago and held in the Comber Road hall.
You could just be talking total bollocks, like you usually do.

vivabrigada

Tea egg windbag let's off another brainfart...
Lol I gave your order credit for approaching the 21st century in Fermanagh and you return to the seventeenth with more sectarian abuse.
If you ever grow up you'll realise why Nationalist communities both object to Orange marches in their areas and are able to run rings round you effortlessly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies