• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn Fein in the NI Assembly calling for social media regulation

CptSternn

I got this via Twitter from:

David Cochrane (@davidcochrane)

05/02/2013 09:56
Sinn Fein in the NI Assembly are today calling for social media regulation (via @DonalLyons)
If they thought they had lost the youth vote before, wait until people hear about this.

...and I can't wait to see what Anonymous does to them for even suggesting such draconian, back-wards legislation in regards to the Internet.

statsman

If they thought they had lost the youth vote before, wait until people hear about this.

...and I can't wait to see what Anonymous does to them for even suggesting such draconian, back-wards legislation in regards to the Internet.
Will they adopt the same policy 'down here'?

cyberianpan

Website
www.google.com
SF voted against lowering rates recently in the NI also

People need to realise that SF is a deeply authoritarian party, whose quasi fascist nature was always going to result in a high degree of statism once they got into a government

cYp

picador

When social media is used to incite murder and sectarian pogroms, as it has been over the last couple of months, it is a very serious matter.

Grumpy Jack

Will they adopt the same policy 'down here'?
Depends on whether government here is for or against it - then the SF(IE) will go with the opposite.

I'm coming to believe they actually think people down here won't notice what SF(NI) do - or even care.

Ironic really that SF have become the most partitionist party on the island - to the point that even their policy department is partitioned now.

Clanrickard

When social media is used to incite murder and sectarian pogroms, as it has been over the last couple of months, it is a very serious matter.
Twitter doesn't incite murder and engage in sectarianism the users do.

TimBuckII

Twitter
Yes I am

Yeah, and this site with it's Draconian, back-wards mods too.

Down with rules!!!!!!

picador

SF voted against lowering rates recently in the NI also

People need to realise that SF is a deeply authoritarian party, whose quasi fascist nature was always going to result in a high degree of statism once they got into a government

cYp
Quasi-fascist is calling for the return of the Shankill butchers, or calling on people to 'shoot taigs' or assassinate the Deputy First Minister or 'burn out' the Short Strand - the type of stuff which has been regularly appearing on loyalist 'protest pages' in recent times.

Of course if anyone tried it the IRA would be back in business and you'd be squealing like a girl.

stakerwallace

Section 31?

statsman

Depends on whether government here is for or against it - then the SF(IE) will go with the opposite.

I'm coming to believe they actually think people down here won't notice what SF(NI) do - or even care.

Ironic really that SF have become the most partitionist party on the island - to the point that even their policy department is partitioned now.
You might well be right.

picador

Is there incitement to hatred legislation in the 26 counties?

Could I use p.ie to try and organise a mob to attack and set fire to the mosque in Clonskeagh during Friday prayers - or would the mods step in to stop me?

Not that I would dream of doing any such thing of course.

CptSternn

If you haven't notice, the people responsible for such have been arrested. Just like during the riots a while back, people engaged in such behaviour were arrested, and rightly so.

We don't need special legislation to restrict free speech on the Internet, as current laws protect us from the things you have listed above already. No reason to restrict speech. Let people say what they wish, and if they cross a line there are enough laws in place to take care of the issue already sure.

DaveM

Guns don't kill people. Criminals do.
You can shoot someone to death with a gun. You can't tweet someone to death with twitter.

picador

If you haven't notice, the people responsible for such have been arrested. Just like during the riots a while back, people engaged in such behaviour were arrested, and rightly so.
One person was arrested a couple of days ago - then released. The issue has been going on for months.

A guy in Belfast had to get an injunction against Facebook because loyalists wereusing its pages to incite his murder.

CptSternn

Yeah, and this site with it's Draconian, back-wards mods too.

Down with rules!!!!!!
Isn't your post a bit ironic in the sense that we have mods here who already enforce the laws in place which restrict things we can and cannot say? I mean, do we need MORE rules? Aren't the ones in place serving us well enough? Do we want to remove more free speech from society and restrict what people can do/say on Twitter/Facebook/online forums even more so than is currently happening?

MacCoise2

Draconian? backwards?

All that from a Tweet?