• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn fein, IRA and the Italian Mafia.

Mugabe

This is an interesting article.

"The revelation could have major implications for Sinn Fein and the party's anti-crime stance here."

Not only do other parties have links to people who they would rather not, however Sinn Fein are extremely quick to jump on the back of anyone to remind them of anything.

I would be interested to see if die hard Sinn Fein people disassociate themselves completely with this article? The real question is for republicans and ex republicans - why do these people need to remain active?

Revealed:

derryman

Strange.
I believe I watched an article on BBC news last night and they said something to the effect that while it was first thought that the IRA were connected to this they had established no evidence of that connection

Mugabe

Strange.
I believe I watched an article on BBC news last night and they said something to the effect that while it was first thought that the IRA were connected to this they had established no evidence of that connection
It seems the Indo is basing evidence in regard to the named people involved.

Crazy horse 6

SF might be connected to the Italian mafia but at least they are'nt part of the Irish mafia, FF.

freewillie

"Clearly this the work of pro British Italian securicrats" says Don Gerleone

Kev408

What the hell do you expect from the shytrag that is the Indo, at this stage? I just read articles on this from BBC, The Telegraph and The Guardian. Not one of them mention Sinn Fein and only one of them (guess) mentions the IRA in a historical sense and refers to Fitzsimons being possibly associated with the Real IRA.

compliant

No where in that article does it mention anyone to do with Sinn Fein, the only mention of them is in the second paragraph and feels forced, almost as if dropped by an editor in the original article.

I can't stand when I see these types of threads, that people make leaps and bounds of logic that if they were to follow the same levels of connections as they do here, would be condemning a family for the crimes of their neighbor because they clearly lived so close together, how could they not be in on it?

Mugabe

No where in that article does it mention anyone to do with Sinn Fein, the only mention of them is in the second paragraph and feels forced, almost as if dropped by an editor in the original article.

I can't stand when I see these types of threads, that people make leaps and bounds of logic that if they were to follow the same levels of connections as they do here, would be condemning a family for the crimes of their neighbor because they clearly lived so close together, how could they not be in on it?
It's in the Indo today and so it should be discussed here.

Clanrickard

"The revelation could have major implications for Sinn Fein and the party's anti-crime stance here."

Not only do other parties have links to people who they would rather not, however Sinn Fein are extremely quick to jump on the back of anyone to remind them of anything.

I would be interested to see if die hard Sinn Fein people disassociate themselves completely with this article? The real question is for republicans and ex republicans - why do these people need to remain active?

Revealed:
Zzzzzzzzzzzzz another anti-SF fairy tale from the Bindo

T

Thomas_

Awaiting the official dementi that SF didn´t know anything about that.

All these arms the IRA (including her splinter groups) got had to be financed and I suppose their links to illegal arms trade were supposedly not only to the USA. That´s what the above article is - between the lines - also telling about.

There has been, and still there are, discussions about whether the IRA is to be considered a criminal organisation. As the article tells, there are several points that makes an organisation criminal and it´s enough to say so when there are evidences that they´re involved in criminal businesses. Money laundery is just one criminal offence.

L

longshortgrass

"Follow the money", as the FBI guy said in All The President's Men.

What happened to the Pension Fund "investments", when Baron Adams placed the IRA into receivership? :cool:

nakatomi

If there is a link it would be interesting to say the least, but you have to take everything written in the Independent with a pinch of salt.

Rory Carr

I once heard a well-known Republican (of the Provisional persuasion) admit to a sneaking fondness for Sinatra in his pre-war years.

Come to think of it, he once drove a Fiat - the Provo that is, not Sinatra, I don't know what he drove - or it might have been a Honda. Anyway it was foreign and could be made to seem dodgy. After all them Japs did all that nasty stuff on the River Kwai. Didn't they ?

Or was it the Chinese? I better check the Indo for the facts.

edifice.

Revealed:
What revelation?

T

Thomas_

If there is a link it would be interesting to say the least, but you have to take everything written in the Independent with a pinch of salt.
Certainly, and this applies for many newspapers in general.