Sinn Féin Is Having a Good Brexit

McSlaggart

But the DUP remain stuck: Dublin and Brussels will not budge on the border issue, and the DUP claim they cannot countenance the backstop in any shape or form. Sinn Féin MP Micky Brady told me that “the last forty-eight hours have just served to deepen the chaos and dysfunctionality inherent in British politics around Brexit,” and that the party’s focus was on preventing a hard border. Sinn Féin backed May’s withdrawal deal with its backstop arrangements to prevent said border changes, while the DUP opposed the deal vociferously.

But if a no-deal Brexit comes to pass and the UK crashes out of the European Union, the DUP still won’t necessarily have won: most people in Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU, and the appetite for a referendum on Irish reunification increases in tandem with the prospect of the restoration of a land border in the UK requiring checks and patrols, in a return to an earlier era of conflict. Even May herself has warned that prospect is a highly likely one.

Even when I’ve spoken to Unionist voters, not one has told me they back the DUP’s approach: the majority of them are small business owners and a seamless border is essential to their livelihood. They’re happy for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom, but would balefully prefer a united Ireland to the DUP’s hard Brexit causing mass upheaval in their daily lives.

Either the border remains unchanged and the backstop is implemented against the DUP’s will, in which case Sinn Féin can argue they’ve won and put Northern Irish voters first; or the UK crashes out and the DUP risks the breakup of the union through their own pigheaded refusal to be flexible and diverge from their own strict ideology. In which case, again, Sinn Féin will happily campaign for a reunified Ireland.

The DUP are in power, but utterly powerless: swaggering around Westminster making a lot of noise, but with no one truly listening to them. They remain frozen, used minimally by the Conservatives to keep Corbyn out of power. But their greedy power grab may do them in entirely, while boosting their nationalist political enemies.

automaticforthepeople

Didn't sound like that the other night when Fr Dougal was on Clare Byrne Live saying how they never had a hard border between north and south. i watched the programme with a blind man who asked me had I changed the channel to BBC 1 NI and was that Jeffery Donaldson back on the air spouting guff.

How any SF MP can be quoted as a reliable insight to Westminster thinking is beyond me as SF don't attend Westminister as they refuse to take the oath which Dan Breen had the courage to ignore 90 years ago.

Strawberry

That's a good article, sums up the current position very succinctly. In fact in some ways it understates the case, the DUP are at risk of making themselves so hated on both sides of the house with their current behaviour that a future government may be tempted to call a border poll just to get rid of them.

mac tíre

The one time Stormont could have had a big say they kept well away.

They were terrified to have any input.

So they won't go back till Brexit is over.

DUP claim Sinn Fein set April 2019 date for Stormont return - 'More nonsense and drivel' says Sinn Fein
So the DUP were saying that in August last year?

Funny, they themselves were ruling out a return to Stormont for a long time in March last year.

“I think the prospects of a return to devolution in the short-term are bleak.” Stressing that he had “no pleasure” in stating that view, [Simon Hamilton] added: “I don’t see it happening this year and perhaps even beyond.”
That was after SF thought they had agreed a deal with the DUP to return to Stormont in February 2018 (the one scuppered by the OO and UDA).

It's the DUP running scared of Stormont.

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/stormont-unlikely-return-year-say-dup-amid-hints-good-friday-agreement-changes/

AhNowStop

But the DUP remain stuck: Dublin and Brussels will not budge on the border issue, and the DUP claim they cannot countenance the backstop in any shape or form. Sinn Féin MP Micky Brady told me that “the last forty-eight hours have just served to deepen the chaos and dysfunctionality inherent in British politics around Brexit,” and that the party’s focus was on preventing a hard border. Sinn Féin backed May’s withdrawal deal with its backstop arrangements to prevent said border changes, while the DUP opposed the deal vociferously.

But if a no-deal Brexit comes to pass and the UK crashes out of the European Union, the DUP still won’t necessarily have won: most people in Northern Ireland voted to remain in the EU, and the appetite for a referendum on Irish reunification increases in tandem with the prospect of the restoration of a land border in the UK requiring checks and patrols, in a return to an earlier era of conflict. Even May herself has warned that prospect is a highly likely one.

Even when I’ve spoken to Unionist voters, not one has told me they back the DUP’s approach: the majority of them are small business owners and a seamless border is essential to their livelihood. They’re happy for Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom, but would balefully prefer a united Ireland to the DUP’s hard Brexit causing mass upheaval in their daily lives.

Either the border remains unchanged and the backstop is implemented against the DUP’s will, in which case Sinn Féin can argue they’ve won and put Northern Irish voters first; or the UK crashes out and the DUP risks the breakup of the union through their own pigheaded refusal to be flexible and diverge from their own strict ideology. In which case, again, Sinn Féin will happily campaign for a reunified Ireland.

The DUP are in power, but utterly powerless: swaggering around Westminster making a lot of noise, but with no one truly listening to them. They remain frozen, used minimally by the Conservatives to keep Corbyn out of power. But their greedy power grab may do them in entirely, while boosting their nationalist political enemies.

Exactly, the cretinous DUP have magnificently cornered themselves into a position of "Heads you win Tails I lose" .... tis a beautiful thing :cool2:

rem81

How will Sinn Fein be able to exploit all this if they wont join with DUP and enter the assembly?? Sounds like good rhetoric but there isn't any Stormont for them to get elected into by Brexit's antics so seems kind of ridiculous to brag about that when British people are in control at the moment.

mac tíre

How will Sinn Fein be able to exploit all this if they wont join with DUP and enter the assembly?? Sounds like good rhetoric but there isn't any Stormont for them to get elected into by Brexit's antics so seems kind of ridiculous to brag about that when British people are in control at the moment.
I have never seen them in less control, to be honest. If anything, they are in free fall.

AhNowStop

Didn't sound like that the other night when Fr Dougal was on Clare Byrne Live saying how they never had a hard border between north and south. i watched the programme with a blind man who asked me had I changed the channel to BBC 1 NI and was that Jeffery Donaldson back on the air spouting guff.

How any SF MP can be quoted as a reliable insight to Westminster thinking is beyond me as SF don't attend Westminister as they refuse to take the oath which Dan Breen had the courage to ignore 90 years ago.
Seriously cant believe people are still coming out with this .. :roll:

you do realise that the second a shinner stepped into the commons the brexiteers & the DUP would get EXACTLY what they want ? ... its extraordinary that people dont see this .... or maybe they just refuse to see it, I mean its pretty feckin obvious :?

Strawberry

You've got a very funny definition of 'in control'.

AhNowStop

rem81

I have never seen them in less control, to be honest. If anything, they are in free fall.
The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland is a British woman and specifically English.

mac tíre

The Secretary of State for Northern Ireland is a British woman and specifically English.
She's even less in control - of anything. That is why she is a SOS.

rem81

You've got a very funny definition of 'in control'.
Westminster controls the budgets and the British secretary has power over the government.

rem81

She's even less in control - of anything. That is why she is a SOS.
Do you not think that a nationalist party in the assembly would be a good counter to British rule? SF has a responsibility as elected officials.

pedagogus

Do you not think that a nationalist party in the assembly would be a good counter to British rule? SF has a responsibility as elected officials.
Hardly. The British Government ignores the much more numerous SNP at Westminster as well as Plaid Cyrmu.

hollandia

And has openly and publicly admitted she hasn't a clue. "I didn't understand why nationalists didn't vote for unionists..."

mac tíre

They attempted to restart it almost a year ago. Much of the DUP leadership were on board. UDA weren't happy with it and neither were the OO.

So here we are.

Talk Back

14 posts and all of them from England's and its Unionists in Ireland, point of view. :lol: