Sinn Féin may sit in Westminster to try block Brexit

sport02

Belfast Telegraph has tweeted comments from Martin McGuinness in the last half hour and story in link below.
Martin McGuinness ‘refuses to rule out Sinn Fein taking Westminster seats for first time to block Brexit’
Martin McGuinness has refused to rule out whether his party will reverse its abstentionist policy in order for its MPs to vote against Article 50 in Westminster, it has been reported.
https://t.co/scU01kl1mx

ruserious

Ha now this is worth keeping an eye on. Can you just imagine the yells from the Tory benches as the Shinners sweep in.

Spanner Island

Belfast Telegraph has tweeted comments from Martin McGuinness in the last half hour and story in link below.
Martin McGuinness ‘refuses to rule out Sinn Fein taking Westminster seats for first time to block Brexit’

https://t.co/scU01kl1mx
They feckin' well better if they're as opposed to Brexit as they claim they are.

It's all very well for Gerry to be demanding the Irish Government does all it can for the entire island... but if SF fail to send their MPs to Westminster to vote on this (should a vote take place) then SF can feck off with their demands regarding what the Irish government should and shouldn't be doing.

This shouldn't even be up for discussion imo. It should be a no brainer.

If there's a vote SF should send their MPs to vote. End of.

Telstar 62

About time that the Shinner wasters started to earn their fat
M.P. wages!!:lol:

Telstar 62

It will be good to see the Shinners finally recognize Westminster's
authority over Northern Ireland.:rolleyes:

Truth.ie

They feckin' well better if they're as opposed to Brexit as they claim they are.

It's all very well for Gerry to be demanding the Irish Government does all it can for the entire island... but if SF fail to send their MPs to Westminster to vote on this (should a vote take place) then SF can feck off with their demands regarding what the Irish government should and shouldn't be doing.

This shouldn't even be up for discussion imo. It should be a no brainer.

If there's a vote SF should send their MPs to vote. End of.
So their historic first entrance to Westminster should be in order to block a referendum result?
If anything will spur people to vote Brexit again this is it.

Mc Guinness is an embarassment.

Strawberry

I think they should do the math first. If there's going to be a massive majority in favour of Article 50, there's no point in them changing their century plus old policy of abstentionism for their four votes because they won't make any difference.

@Spanner Island - Sinn Féin are the second largest party in NI, and the largest nationalist party, and the only all island party. On those grounds alone any Irish government that isn't completely selfish and irresponsible should be listening to what they say about Brexit regardless of what they do or don't do in the HoC.

Truth.ie

"Brexit could lead to the break up of the Union." Sinn Fein, May 2016.

"SF to enter Westminster to stop Brexit" November2016

Spanner Island

So their historic first entrance to Westminster should be in order to block a referendum result?

Brexit is 99% going to happen.

People need to cop on to that and quit hoping it's not.

Even 'remain' MPs will vote to trigger Article 50 in more than enough numbers.

Whether SF send their MPs to vote on Article 50 or not won't matter to most Brits as they pay no attention to NI anyway...

And if there is a second referendum (unlikely but not impossible) when the details of a final deal are available to vote on... it'll be at least 2 years after SF MPs will have voted anyway which will be largely forgotten about by anyone who gives a sh!t about it in the first place...

"Brexit could lead to the break up of the Union." Sinn Fein, May 2016.

"SF to enter Westminster to stop Brexit" November2016
Things are changing all the time wrt Brexit...

Anyone who says anything with certainty is lying.

Bill

Brexit is 99% going to happen.

People need to cop on to that and quit hoping it's not.

Even 'remain' MPs will vote to trigger Article 50 in more than enough numbers.

Whether SF send their MPs to vote on Article 50 or not won't matter to most Brits as they pay no attention to NI anyway...

And if there is a second referendum (unlikely but not impossible) when the details of a final deal are available to vote on... it'll be at least 2 years after SF MPs will have voted anyway which will be largely forgotten about by anyone who gives a sh!t about it in the first place...

Things are changing all the time wrt Brexit...

Anyone who says anything with certainty is lying.
well it certainly is entertaining

Spanner Island

I think they should do the math first. If there's going to be a massive majority in favour of Article 50, there's no point in them changing their century plus old policy of abstentionism for their four votes because they won't make any difference.

@Spanner Island - Sinn Féin are the second largest party in NI, and the largest nationalist party, and the only all island party. On those grounds alone any Irish government that isn't completely selfish and irresponsible should be listening to what they say about Brexit regardless of what they do or don't do in the HoC.
I've no problem with the Irish Government listening to them.

Gerry has a habit of demanding stuff of others though... things he's not prepared to do himself.

So if as Gerry demands that this an all island issue... then where possible SF should step up and do what they can even if it's futile.

I think it's called having conviction and leading by example.

I certainly won't be surprised though... if SF turn this into another self indulgent navel gazing exercise and tie themselves up in knots with it.

Breanainn

I can't imagine that SF could even make a temporary exception for an institution that pays a prominent permanent tribute to Cromwell.

Strawberry

I've no problem with the Irish Government listening to them.

Gerry has a habit of demanding stuff of others though... things he's not prepared to do himself.

So if as Gerry demands that this an all island issue... then where possible SF should step up and do what they can even if it's futile.

I think it's called having conviction and leading by example.

I certainly won't be surprised though... if SF turn this into another self indulgent navel gazing exercise and tie themselves up in knots with it.
Is anybody sane under any doubt that its an all island issue? Never mind what Gerry demands, or what SF do, the Irish government should show some adult responsibility and put party politics aside for once in their lives.

Adam Battersby

I'd like to warn the Irish and Scottish nationalists right now: if they successfully block Brexit then the cause of a United Ireland and Scottish secession from the EU would be doomed.

The government would retaliate by blocking any NI or Scottish referendum.

ireallyshouldknowbetter

A referendum that Northern Ireland voted against.

Aren't you supposed to be a pretend republican? Shouldn't you be looking for an all-Ireland referendum on Brexit or something, rather than meekly accepting UK dominion over 'the six counties'?

Truth.ie

A referendum that Northern Ireland voted against.

Aren't you supposed to be a pretend republican? Shouldn't you be looking for an all-Ireland referendum on Brexit or something, rather than meekly accepting UK dominion over 'the six counties'?
Thats one way to spin it
Many Irish Republicans are opposed to Ireland in the EU,and see Brexit as a stepping stone to that goal.
I personally joined SF when they were campaigning for an independent,sovereign Ireland,not a British occupied statelet in the EU.

Having lived my entire life being ruled by an unelected Secretary of State,I'm not about to just trade that for an unelected and unnacountable EU Commisar.

Last edited:

Truth.ie

I find it ironic that SF have found themselves on the side of big business, bankers, globalists and the establishment in their attempt to overrule the votes of the (mainly) working class people.

the secretary

They'll have to call a special Ard Fheis to have this passed if it is too happen I'd say.

They are not changing their position on Westminster or anything, they'll likely argue that they won't be taking their seats even though they will.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies