• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn Fein: Realistic alternative or party of protest?

johnny365

In light of the recent Irish Times opinion poll which showed a surge in support for Fianna Fail at the expense of Sinn Fein, i ask the question are Sinn Fein taken seriously? Is it time they got rid of the likes of Adams and Ferris in order to make serious gains in this state? The fact that Sinn Fein are behind the most toxic party in the state must privately worry some within Sinn Fein. It is my belief that many people still find Sinn Fein repulsive as long as those from the " war" days remain in the party. Fine Gael/ Labour/ and Fianna Fail all have tried and failed terribly at handling the economic situation, Sinn Fein should be using this to their advantage.

Sinn Fein as a party that has not been in power should be doing a lot better in the polls considering the disaster the other 3 parties have inflicted on the state. Sinn Fein have an object to everything stance that puts many people off. Is it time they cleared out the likes of Adams and Ferris and came up with some serious policies, in order to be considered more than just a party of protest and a credible alternative something which they are not at the moment.

Last edited:

potholedogger

Where would we be now if Adams could have sent back the €85 billion?

Mind you they are the only party in Ireland that has demonstrated that they can deliver real austerity rather than Kenny's Austerity Lite!

streetdwellingdog

Hey johnny, quick question.

How many votes have SF recieved in Ireland in the most recent elections ?

Me being such a lover of democracy would be very interested to know and then I'd be able to know how much support they have on the island of Ireland.
I await your response with nail biting anticipation.

TiredOfBeingTired

Both

SF(NI) seem a realistic alternative, quite competent, no better or worse than the rest, practical, political party. They may will have been a party of protest (but not necessarily protestants) but that day has past. What is the opposite of Tiocfaidh ar La?

SF(ROI) are more like a party of protest. However, if they got into power, I would expect them to act in a way similar to their northern counterparts.

johnny365

Hey johnny, quick question.

How many votes have SF recieved in Ireland in the most recent elections ?

Me being such a lover of democracy would be very interested to know and then I'd be able to know how much support they have on the island of Ireland.
I await your response with nail biting anticipation.
The op refers to this state or the "26 counties" as the comrades like to call us, by the way Sinn Fein gained less support than a party that had just bankrupted the state at the last General Election.

potholedogger

Both

SF(NI) seem a realistic alternative, quite competent, no better or worse than the rest, practical, political party. They may will have been a party of protest (but not necessarily protestants) but that day has past. What is the opposite of Tiocfaidh ar La?

SF(ROI) are more like a party of protest. However, if they got into power, I would expect them to act in a way similar to their northern counterparts.
How would the Republic function now if Gerry was in power and sent back the € 85 billion?
How would those on welfare survive if there was no EU funding to pay them?

Eoin Coir

SF may realise Adams is a disaster. Even Doherty rapid fire mouth man not much better. Toibin about best of the, or indeed O Caolain who was ousted in a bloodless coup.

galleyslave

strident reptition of simplistic solutions is the only reason SF have gained votes. they stay on message regardless of the situation. look at mcguinness during the presidential debate - vinny thought he had him on the ropes with his brilliant book trick but the bugger refused to take the bait. it works to a degree, but lets hope its not too successful. worked for Enda too - 5 point plan and all that malarkey

streetdwellingdog

The op refers to this state or the "26 counties" as the comrades like to call us, by the way Sinn Fein gained less support than a party that had just bankrupted the state at the last General Election.
Actually the OP/you never once mentions the 26.
Perhaps you are unaware that SF are a 32 county party and if so you fail miserably at trying to understand whether they are a party of protest or a realistic alternative.

Were the numbers too large for you to count that you decided to lie about your OP ?

I'm still interested if you can collate the figures.

johnny365

SF may realise Adams is a disaster. Even Doherty rapid fire mouth man not much better. Toibin about best of the, or indeed O Caolain who was ousted in a bloodless coup.
Adams is holding Sinn Fein back and the whiff of the past isnt helping either, many in Sinn Fein privately have a belief that Adams will have to go if they are to make any serious inroads in this part of the island.

neiphin

In light of the recent Irish Times opinion poll which showed a surge in support for Fianna Fail at the expense of Sinn Fein, i ask the question are Sinn Fein taken seriously? Is it time they got rid of the likes of Adams and Ferris in order to make serious gains in this state? The fact that Sinn Fein are behind the most toxic party in the state must privately worry some within Sinn Fein. It is my belief that many people still find Sinn Fein repulsive as long as those from the " war" days remain in the party. Fine Gael/ Labour/ and Fianna Fail all have tried and failed terribly at handling the economic situation, Sinn Fein should be using this to their advantage.

Sinn Fein as a party that has not been in power should be doing a lot better in the polls considering the disaster the other 3 parties have inflicted on the state. Sinn Fein have an object to everything stance that puts many people off. Is it time they cleared out the likes of Adams and Ferris and came up with some serious policies, in order to be considered more than just a party of protest and a credible alternative something which they are not at the moment.
there is an unhealthy preoccupation with this site and sinn fein
the country is buggered, and people here seem to be obsessed with the progress or lack of of the shinners

johnny365

Actually the OP/you never once mentions the 26.
Perhaps you are unaware that SF are a 32 county party and if so you fail miserably at trying to understand whether they are a party of protest or a realistic alternative.

Were the numbers too large for you to count that you decided to lie about your OP ?

I'm still interested if you can collate the figures.
The Op mentions the Irish times poll and also mentions Labour FG and FF, this OP has nothing to do with the North. It is very clear in the Dail at present Sinn Fein are the 4th largest behind FF who bankrupted the country. In the latest opinion poll they are 3rd largest party and still behind FF. SF signed up for the border get over it.

streetdwellingdog

Adams is holding Sinn Fein back and the whiff of the past isnt helping either, many in Sinn Fein privately have a belief that Adams will have to go if they are to make any serious inroads in this part of the island.
After you have collated the figure I've asked for, next up is an easy one.

Has the SF vote shrank or expanded under the leadership of Adams and co ?

neiphin

much easier to debate this than to discuss how enda was sold a pup

johnny365

there is an unhealthy preoccupation with this site and sinn fein
the country is buggered, and people here seem to be obsessed with the progress or lack of of the shinners
No I am concerned that according to the latest poll the public the only credible alternative to be offered by the party that got us in this mess FF, the fact that they are the lead opposition party in the polls is disturbing.

TiredOfBeingTired

How would the Republic function now if Gerry was in power and sent back the € 85 billion?
How would those on welfare survive if there was no EU funding to pay them?
What I am getting at is that if Gerry got into power, his old positions may change quite rapidly.
Martin Mc Guinness has adapted to the new regime in Stormont.
Would Gerry not adapt in Dublin?

What would Gerry have done on the night of the Bank Guarantee when the bankers would have been almost holding a gun to his head?
I dont know, but the answer wont appear on the party's website
I doubt Gerry knows either.
The mind boggles at the image.

What did John Gormley do when he was in a similar position?
This can be researched as a matter of historical fact.
Is there anything in his pre-cabinet history that would predict what he actually did re the Bank guarantee, IMF etc.

There is an old quote about FF in the back of my head.
"There are two Fianna Fails. There is FF in power and FF in opposition and there is absolutely no relationship between the two"
I cant find the source of this but I suspect it would also apply to SF.