Sinn Fein Say no to Finn Rehn

Asparagus

Sinn Féin tells commissioner Rehn that 2014 is unachievable | Sinn Féin

Deputy Ó Caoláin said:

“I and my colleagues Deputy Arthur Morgan and Mary Lou McDonald this morning informed the European Commissioner Ollie Rehn that Sinn Féin will not be part of any consensus that seeks to cut €6 billion from the economy next year hitting low earners and vital public services hardest.

“Sinn Féin has put forward a fairer, better way which seeks to stimulate the economy in order to create jobs and reduce the deficit in a more natural manner. We advocate the creation of a Consensus for Recovery.

“We informed Commissioner Rehn that the 2014 target for reducing the budget deficit to 3% of GDP is completely unrealistic and unachievable. Furthermore we told him that it is our belief that the Government parties along with Fine Gael and Labour know that 2014 is unachievable and are simply trying to create a bluff in order to instil confidence in the international bond markets.

smitchy2

They have a point.
A stimulus is needed to return to growth. Otherwise we could be facing a lost decade.
Where they are wrong is that adjustments have to be made on the spending side as well.

SF have really come out strongly in the last few weeks. Certainly better than Labour from a credibility point of view. It is a shame they are such a mess in Dublin.

Asparagus

They have a point.
A stimulus is needed to return to growth. Otherwise we could be facing a lost decade.
Where they are wrong is that adjustments have to be made on the spending side as well.

SF have really come out strongly in the last few weeks. Certainly better than Labour from a credibility point of view. It is a shame they are such a mess in Dublin.
I would seriously consider them in the GE - they are beginning to emerge as having a semblence of public interest and decency that is shockingly absent from FG, Lab and of course FF.
They also seem to be relevant unlike the greens....

locke

This was an option 2 years ago, but with the money running out in a few months time and nobody willing to lend to us, it's just posturing now.

Mister men

Never thought i'd say this but i will consider giving them my vote now whatever about their history. The only party with a half decent economic policy.

Passer-by

They have a point.
We can afford to spending 20 billion Euro a year less than we currently are.

That 20 billion addtional expenditure consists of unsustainable borrowing which pays for government expenditure on schools, hospitals, welfare etc.

How much more of a stimulus do you want? More importantly, who do you think is going to loan us the money indefinitely when there are few signs we are going to narrow that 20 billion hole in the budget anytime soon?

dent

SF should be grateful that Gauleiter Rehn took the time to meet them !

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Sinn Féin quite simply have an economic millstone around their neck, that emanates from Gerrys pre election debate in 2007.

Other than that, they have produced eminently sensible economic policies, and if someone who didn't know who personalities were, or parties were, and just listened to Finance spokespeople, Arthur Morgan would rank higher than most when he speaks about the economy.. and why wouldn't he, he's a businessman unlike Lenihan who is a career politician and a barrister

But, they will always have the problem of Gerrys performance, and a very hostile right wing media who can't afford for people to listen to Sinn Fein for fear support will grow for them.

Of course we cannot reduce the deficit to 3% of GDP by 2014. Absolute and utter nonsense to think we can. And, as we contract the economy even more by reducing economic activity, we will reduce GDP/GNP and make reducing the deficit even harder.

By stimulating the economy and creating growth, we actually make the need to reduce smaller..

But FF, FG and Labour have bought into the lie and will now denounce SF as economic illiterates

Just as they did in 2007 when SF suggested a separate tax rate for high earners (i.e. over 100k)

They were called "economic illiterates".. but yet it has become a plank of Labour policy and has already been introduced by FF albeit they are calling it income and health levies, at an even lower threshold than SF suggested, i.e. at 75k

Contrary to common belief that every Shinner is some dull headed Celtic shirt wearing Wolfe Tone singing trogdolyte... the party actually has a huge number of middle aged self employed small business people as members.... people who had to work for themselves or start their own businesses because of Special Branch harassment at their workplaces.. These people are no economic illiterates I can tell you that

And anyways.. Conor Murphy hasn't done that bad a job in an economics Ministry in the 6 counties has he...

rockofcashel

Website
www.sinnfein.ie
Never thought i'd say this but i will consider giving them my vote now whatever about their history. The only party with a half decent economic policy.
So far the only party with ANY economic policy as far as I can see

Even Caoimhin sounded top class on the Frontline last night (until he went a bit overboard with the no redundancies in the PS, while 7,000 were trying to get out of the HSE)

Asparagus

Sinn Féin quite simply have an economic millstone around their neck, that emanates from Gerrys pre election debate in 2007.

Other than that, they have produced eminently sensible economic policies, and if someone who didn't know who personalities were, or parties were, and just listened to Finance spokespeople, Arthur Morgan would rank higher than most when he speaks about the economy.. and why wouldn't he, he's a businessman unlike Lenihan who is a career politician and a barrister
and in the last few days they

• forced the government to hold the byelection
  • announced that olli rehn could reduce the 15 billion mandate

while lab and fg trailed in tehir wake.

needle_too

Whatever about the issue the title is a candidate for 'Thread title of the month'.

Astral Peaks

+1

Amach na Casca

Whatever about the issue the title is a candidate for 'Thread title of the month'.
Classic title alright, I like it. :D SF could well make some inroads if only they keep those eejits Adams and McGuinness tucked away up in the north well away from the Dublin media. I'm convinced their presence puts people off otherwise voting SF. The cosy consensus thats developed between FF, FG and Labour on all things from Lisbon to budget etc needs to be opposed. As such SF are actually the main opposition party and can only assume a greater importance if they continue providing badly needed genuine opposition to this Govt.

Mitsui2

SF should be grateful that Gauleiter Rehn took the time to meet them !
I didn't even know that Gauleiter was a Finnish word! Just fancy! You learn amazing things on the internet!

Mitsui2

and in the last few days they

• forced the government to hold the byelection
  • announced that olli rehn could reduce the 15 billion mandate

while lab and fg trailed in tehir wake.
That really was a fascinating piece of information about what Rehn told the opposition parties in his meetings with them - i.e. that the €15bn was a bit of a movable feast depending on growth and other factors. Have I missed mention of this before or has FF been doing its usual tiresome "It's-MY-information-and-I'll-release-the-bits-that-suit-me" crock?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
But don't be surprised if some sensational stories start to appear in Sir Tony's Indo comics penned by the likes of Paul Williams or Jim Cusack like " Pearse Doherty ordered killing of Jean McConville " even though he wasn't born when it happened or mysterious ' documents ' will be uncovered showing he was the leader of the IRA in Donegal in the early 1990's even though he was a young lad.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies