• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn Féin TD absent from ceremony honoring murdered Garda Detective Jerry McCabe

Wascurito

Detective Garda Jerry McCabe, who was murdered by an IRA gang 22 years ago was posthumously awarded the Freedom of Limerick at a ceremony in the city last week. Local TDs were present from all the major parties with the exception of local Sinn Féin TD, Maurice Quinlivan.

Quinlivan admitted that he was invited but couldn't attend because he was "speaking in the Dáil". Really? I do wonder what was going on in the Dáil of such earthshattering importance that it absolutely unavoidably required his presence.

Sinn Féin TD absent from city award for murdered Garda Detective Jerry McCabe

Levellers

If he did go you'd complain about that as well.

SF Councillors were present.

Wascurito

If he did go you'd complain about that as well.

SF Councillors were present.
No, I'd have nothing at all to say. This kind of ceremony is always going to be a little awkward for Sinn Féiners so the best thing they can do is do exactly the same as the other major parties, showing exactly the same level of respect, observing exactly the same protocols.

realistic1

Detective Garda Jerry McCabe, who was murdered by an IRA gang 22 years ago was posthumously awarded the Freedom of Limerick at a ceremony in the city last week. Local TDs were present from all the major parties with the exception of local Sinn Féin TD, Maurice Quinlivan.

Quinlivan admitted that he was invited but couldn't attend because he was "speaking in the Dáil". Really? I do wonder what was going on in the Dáil of such earthshattering importance that it absolutely unavoidably required his presence.

Sinn Féin TD absent from city award for murdered Garda Detective Jerry McCabe
From a sensitivity point of view, it was probably the correct decision. I for one would not like any individual who would have been involved or supported an organisation that killed a love one attending a ceremony relating to the deceased. .

Wascurito

From a sensitivity point of view, it was probably the correct decision. I for one would not like any individual who would have been involved or supported an organisation that killed a love one attending a ceremony relating to the deceased. .
If that was his reason, he should have said it and it wouldn't have looked as bad. But it wasn't his reason for not attending.

derryman

I am sure if you take a couple of pills you will be able to sleep ok.

greenbrigade

would the family have wanted him there? Maybe he was just trying to be respectful

runwiththewind

What's the point of offering a dead man the freedom of the city. Surely a permanent plaque or something similar would have been better in its permanence.

Last edited:

Wascurito

would the family have wanted him there? Maybe he was just trying to be respectful
As per post #5, if that was his reason, he should have said it and it wouldn't have looked as bad. But it wasn't his reason for not attending.

former wesleyan

What's the point of offering a dead man the freedom of the city. Surely a permanent plague or something similar would have been better in its permanence.
SF are the permanent plague.

Karloff

Won't be long until they are honouring the British security forces killed during the Troubles too down here (and only they).

Correct me if it has already happened.

neiphin

Won't be long until they are honouring the British security forces killed during the Troubles too down here (and only they).

They have “honored” the British soldiers who executed our leaders of 16

NYCKY

Who would they be?

Wascurito

I'll correct you by pointing out that you're being as much of a drooling idiot as usual.

And, while I can't help you as to WTF thread (if any) the above comment has anything to do with, it sure as hell isn't this one.

Get a brain somewhere.

neiphin

“They” did
and “they” are they same

Karloff

Who would they be?
FG/FF.

SF would do it too if there was a coalition or some other sweeties in it for them. I base it on the studied blindness of the 26 counties elites to Catholic dead in the North and who killed them and FG attempts to associate the RUC with AGS along with a pervasive culture of pro British revisionism in this country which is getting more and more daring and is not about any kind of reconciliation or a UI.