• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Sinn Féin TD makes new allegations on garda corruption

Dub01

Some pretty serious allegations of corruption against Leitrem Gardai from a SF TD.

"Rogue" gardaí working with criminal informants to entrap people, TD claims.
Sinn Féin's Martin Kenny wants an investigation into new allegations of garda malpractice

The Dáil has been asked to establish a commission of investigation into new allegations of garda malpractice in Leitrim.

Speaking under Dáil privilege this afternoon, local Sinn Féin TD Martin Kenny claimed that “rogue” gardaí in the district have used criminal informants to set up and entrap people so they can be prosecuted.

Mr Kenny said he also had serious concerns about the disappearance of a man five years ago not being investigated, because a garda informant was among the last people to see him.

He further alleged senior officers have reprimanded gardaí who tried to investigate or raise concerns about criminal activity, including drugs offences, breaches of bail conditions and firearms offences.
The Sinn Féin TD also claimed a garda informant, working under the direction of two gardaí, sold robbed equipment from a builder’s shed to a man whose house was searched the following day.

The stolen property was recovered there and the man was subsequently charged and convicted over the crime, according to Mr Kenny.

Another allegation is that a garda informant was instructed by his handlers to set a trap for a person at an NCT centre.

The informant allegedly placed money in a car, which had minor defects, as a bribe to get it through the test.

The car was passed and the employee was later charged and convicted of accepting a bribe, Mr Kenny said.

The Sinn Féin TD claimed that high-ranking officers have protected “rogue” gardaí and covered for them with secrecy and denial.

Mr Kenny also alleged that his own home was targeted for burglary by a garda informant, who had been asked to do so by a serving member of the force.
More here "Rogue" gardaí working with criminal informants to...

ger12

Was he the guy on Drivetime today? Very measured speaker. And very serious allegations.

Jack O Neill

Was he the guy on Drivetime today? Very measured speaker. And very serious allegations.
Why are people surprised , the gardai are probably the most corrupt segment of Irish society that has not been fully exposed or has had any sort of internal clean out or reform .

ger12

Why are people surprised , the gardai are probably the most corrupt segment of Irish society that has not been fully exposed or has had any sort of internal clean out or reform .
What makes you think people are surprised?

james toney

Gardai know this themselves..as do the government.
The allegations are 100% correct.

Artful_Dodger

An Garda Siochana and Corruption in the same sentence? I'm shocked.

The majority remain willfully ignorant. The truth is far too uneasy.

niall78

The Gardaí seem to think a 'Garda informant' is someone they use to knowingly break the law and that makes it OK.

'Garda informants' feature heavily in many of the Garda scandals exposed over the last decade or so.

SayItAintSo

I wouldn't be too sure it's the majority who remain willfully ignorant, I'd be more inclined to believe the majority are complicit and benefit to a greater or lesser extent from the corruption. A minority are willfully ignorant and a small number try to do something about it, at great personal cost. AGS are rotten to the core.

SayItAintSo

The Gardaí seem to think a 'Garda informant' is someone they use to knowingly break the law and that makes it OK.

'Garda informants' feature heavily in many of the Garda scandals exposed over the last decade or so.
There was a Garda rep on rte recently saying the new system of managing informers, introduced in the wake of the Morris Tribunal, is not working. Gardaí want to go back to the old system, I'll just bet they do.

Truth.ie

I was arrested by the Gardai some years ago and told by a Garda detective that if I didnt co-operate with them that they would "slip my details to the Provos and they'll deal with you".
At the time, the Provos were shooting and killing Republicans who opposed the GFA.
It was threat to have me killed.

I imagine the same is happening in this feud.

turdsl

Martin Kenny came across very measured and collected on drivetime this evening.

Dub01

Mary Lou on RTE now.

curiousorange

the Shinners hate the gardaí. Shock.

I guess if they ever came to power they'd know some well armed lads ready to replace them...

freewillie

the Shinners hate the gardaí. Shock.

I guess if they ever came to power they'd know some well armed lads ready to replace them...
The Shinners are moving very close to the trough in the south and have their heads well stuck in to it in the north. They have to play the game for the scumbag element in the party but they are well on the way of going native

JCR

You can't actually take anything the shinners say about the guards seriously on face value, not at all. You simply can't and to do so would be foolhardly and extremely naive. Everyone already knows about the struggle between SF and the IRA and guards.

Lets remember the shinners used to shoot guards and not give two fu*ks about doing so.

turdsl

Thankfully things have changed,Sinn Fein TDs members of Dail Eireann calling senior members of the Gardai to account. There is a good police force in the North now replacing
the sectarian outfit that was there for so long.The Higgins report is shameful reading of
what senior officers of our Gardai have become.Mr Kenny gave a calm and measured
account today.Lets see what the minister does.

LISTOWEL MAN

I was arrested by the Gardai some years ago and told by a Garda detective that if I didnt co-operate with them that they would "slip my details to the Provos and they'll deal with you".
why were you arrested ?

what is the Garda detective's name ?

were you involved in that IRA sh-t ?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies