Sinn Fein website - "IRA statements"

turdsl

It is to be expected that some people are rattled after S.Fs win last week, taking the seat of Fianna Fail and beating F.G.into third place on the first count.

MichaelMac

Is it really true that Michael Collins had a gun or was that all just makey uppey stuff to make Liam Neeson look all macho in the film?

Northtipp

Is it really true that Michael Collins had a gun or was that all just makey uppey stuff to make Liam Neeson look all macho in the film?
Behave. Mr Collins never carried a gun or organised hit squads.Indeed Dan Breen was sheep farmer wrongly labelled a master guerilla fighter in the Tipp mountains. And as for Griffiths and Pearce and the rest of them, well they were all in a book club together. Bloody spin doctors eh!

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
They do.

So don't be surprised when Unionists read a 'Not Welcome Here' message into Nationalists support for the sectarian filth.
Ah yes we all know about unionism and how welcome nationalists were in the unionist state -

" Another allegation made against the Government and which was untrue, was that, of 31 porters at Stormont, 28 were Roman Catholics. I have investigated the matter, and I find that there are 30 Protestants, and only one Roman Catholic there temporarily."
J. M. Andrews, Unionist Party, Minister of Labour, Stormont

turdsl

I believe the most despicable murder was when when Free State agents brought Sean Lemass brother up the Dublin mountain tortured, murdered, and dumped him in a boghole, The founders of the two main parties committed some of the most dastardly
deeds that would be hard to equal anywhere in the world. Michael Collins was the most notorious gunman this country ever produced.all he had to do was wink and it could mean an execution of some young man in his bed in front of his wife and children, It is only a few years since Enda Kenny went down to Beal Na Blaith and told us what a great man the Big Fella was, , Then he told us on the LLS that he would have nothing to do with S.F,because of their Republican activities, I am not saying Collins was right
or wrong, just lets stop been hypocrites.

yellowfish

I Abhor the IRA and would have no sympathy for any of their actions, but the fact is that people have a right to a view of the past and a right to express that view. Sinn Fein were inextricably linked with the IRA at their worst but that link is now with an organisation that has selected the democratic path and this has been accepted by people with far more reason for bitterness than i could ever have, It seems underhand to expect sinn Fein to take the democratic path Bringing the terrorists with them but to condemn them for links that meant they could be part of facilitating the terrorists on that journey. I would not expect a sinn fein candidate to condemn the IRA on my doorstep, just to support the peace process, that is all i could ask- If i find i share more of sinn Fein's policies than i do any other parties then i will vote for them, though i would be interested to know if should they gain significant coalition power what they will do with organisations such as the Army or Gardie that they could be said to have a less than rosy relationship with, but like i said its about policies in the now and for the future that i would be asking.

SAT

A couple of days ago 50,000 plus Irish people marched to the GPO to protest at political parties been in the bankers and EU's pocket, so on behave of Sinn Fein I'd like to thank you for bringing to the attention of this forum the fact that one political party is proud of Ireland and annually commenerates those who died in the GPO and elsewhere in 1916 and those who have given their lives for Ireland.

You also highlight the fact that those who have sold the country seem ashamed of Pease and Connolly and would never mention them on their Party's websites.

Instead of lecturing others to 'pull on the green jersey' Sinn Fein fly the flag.
Like their politics it seems the SF supporters are trapped in a time warp reliving 1916 over and over again like groundhog day :rolleyes:

Time to step forward a hundred years and deal with the here and now instead of wallowing in plastic patriotism based on a past viewed through sepia coated myopic glasses (or perhaps through the bottoms of empty bottles of guinness?) ;)

Perhaps there are some voters who believe Marxism is the answer to our problems but I suspect these are in a tiny minority. By and large SF are seen as a 'safe' protest vote. If there was a serious possibility of them actually gaining real power people would find another safer harbour to register their discontent with the mainstream parties.

Last edited:
S

SeamusNapoleon

I Abhor the IRA and would have no sympathy for any of their actions, but the fact is that people have a right to a view of the past and a right to express that view. Sinn Fein were inextricably linked with the IRA at their worst but that link is now with an organisation that has selected the democratic path and this has been accepted by people with far more reason for bitterness than i could ever have, It seems underhand to expect sinn Fein to take the democratic path Bringing the terrorists with them but to condemn them for links that meant they could be part of facilitating the terrorists on that journey. I would not expect a sinn fein candidate to condemn the IRA on my doorstep, just to support the peace process, that is all i could ask- If i find i share more of sinn Fein's policies than i do any other parties then i will vote for them, though i would be interested to know if should they gain significant coalition power what they will do with organisations such as the Army or Gardie that they could be said to have a less than rosy relationship with, but like i said its about policies in the now and for the future that i would be asking.
Fair decent post.

Skin

The first website shown by google when searching for Sinn Fein is (understandably), the party's official website. What is not understandable for a party seeking major political gains in the upcoming general election is why "IRA statements" appears prominently as a subsection under the main heading. Do Sinn Fein think that reminding people that they are the political wing of the IRA is a winning electoral formula?
In fairness the IRA statements on the website cover the period from 1994 to 2005. This period is of huge historic significance for the people of Ireland, and the IRA were prominent in the events of that period.

The question I would have is, why havent other political parties followed suit and placed IRA statements on their own websites?

Lektuvelis

The motivation for creating this thread is obvious.

The statements on the Sinn Féin website are of a scant variety, specifically from the negotiation period which are of conrete benefit to conflict resolution ventures from the Basque country to Palestine.

Capt Blah

Website
www.mehearty.blogspot.com
Actually I think it is rather honest of them to have such a link on their home-page.

I imagine that it can only cost them votes to prominently maintain this association in people's minds.

Agree or disagree with their policies, applaud or abhor their history, at least they are being authentic.

In this day of lies, double-talk and brown envelopes at least Sinn Fein have clear principles and beliefs - this is refreshing, whether you agree with them or not.

Personally I have never supported SF but I do applaud them for, at least, having convictions and a philosophy.

fluffykontbiscuits

Actually I think it is rather honest of them to have such a link on their home-page.

I imagine that it can only cost them votes to prominently maintain this association in people's minds.

Agree or disagree with their policies, applaud or abhor their history, at least they are being authentic.

In this day of lies, double-talk and brown envelopes at least Sinn Fein have clear principles and beliefs - this is refreshing, whether you agree with them or not.

Personally I have never supported SF but I do applaud them for, at least, having convictions and a philosophy.
It is, if it stops them getting into government Im all for it petunia

Fir Bolg

I believe the most despicable murder was when when Free State agents brought Sean Lemass brother up the Dublin mountain tortured, murdered, and dumped him in a boghole,The founders of the two main parties committed some of the most dastardly
deeds that would be hard to equal anywhere in the world
. Michael Collins was the most notorious gunman this country ever produced.all he had to do was wink and it could mean an execution of some young man in his bed in front of his wife and children, It is only a few years since Enda Kenny went down to Beal Na Blaith and told us what a great man the Big Fella was, , Then he told us on the LLS that he would have nothing to do with S.F,because of their Republican activities, I am not saying Collins was right
or wrong, just lets stop been hypocrites.
"Some of the most dastardly deeds that would be hard to equal anywhere in the world". You are a complete fruit.

Katyn massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mau Mau Uprising - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rwandan Genocide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nanking Massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Trail of Tears - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They aren't even in the same universe nevermind league when it comes to "dastardly deeds"

fenian john

this would be an issue if sinn fein said they had noting to do with the ira but they have always shown support for ira campaigns and people know that.

fluffykontbiscuits

this would be an issue if sinn fein said they had noting to do with the ira but they have always shown support for ira campaigns and people know that.
They have , Michael Mc Dowell in the Dail a few years back named Adams and Co as members of the army council. Its like the worlds worst kept secret in NI politics!

S

SeamusNapoleon

They have , Michael Mc Dowell in the Dail a few years back named Adams and Co as members of the army council. Its like the worlds worst kept secret in NI politics!
Nah, not a secret.
Like Paisley and all his loyalist group dabblings or Donaldson's 'invasion' of Monaghan; they still get elected.

Not whataboutery, just that people are very aware of these things. They want to move on. You should try it.

It's amazing how people like Adams, who is named by pretty much everybody as a member of the Army Council, and Donaldson, who liked to pose with automatic weapons, retain huge percentages of the vote time and time again yet some crank like McDowell who uses parliamentary privilege and Garda contacts to publicly blacken politicians for electoral purposes cannot keep his seat even as party leader and incumbent government minister :roll:

fluffykontbiscuits

Nah, not a secret.
Like Paisley and all his loyalist group dabblings or Donaldson's 'invasion' of Monaghan; they still get elected.

Not whataboutery, just that people are very aware of these things. They want to move on. You should try it.

It's amazing how people like Adams, who is named by pretty much everybody as a member of the Army Council, and Donaldson, who liked to pose with automatic weapons, retain huge percentages of the vote time and time again yet some crank like McDowell who uses parliamentary privilege and Garda contacts to publicly blacken politicians for electoral purposes cannot keep his seat even as party leader and incumbent government minister :roll:
Right in all seriousness,I find it difficult to move on so yes part of it is my problem Seamus however until they apologise for past actions a lot of people, including I wont. So simple solution, they apologise, I stop berating them and everyone is happy... you have to agree with that surely?

Cruimh

One of the changes that will take place with time is that the percentage of SF candidates who have done time for terrorism will drop. Ditto for loyalists.

In 1998 for example
Sinn Fein has 38 candidates for the assembly elections, of whom more than half have criminal convictions of a fairly serious nature. The Sinn Fein candidate in East Londonderry killed three soldiers. Mr. Paul Butler, the Sinn Fein candidate for Lagan Valley, shot a 50-year-old RUC reserve constable in the back of the head. Joe Cahill, aged 78, was once sentenced to death for murder. Gerry Kelly, its representative in Belfast, North, was sentenced to life imprisonment for the Old Bailey bomb, as a result of which one person was killed and 250 injured. In his escape from the Maze, he shot a prison warder in the head. When I hear hon. Members talk of all the democracy, benefits and peace that the agreement is going to pour forth upon the people of Northern Ireland, I am reminded of a single instance that sums it all up. My party's candidate in the election in Belfast, North served in the Ulster Defence Regiment for seven years. He have will have among his opponents the following: John White of the Ulster Democratic party, who hacked to death Senator Paddy Wilson and his girl friend, stabbing each of them 54 times; the aforesaid Gerry Kelly of Sinn Fein, who injured 250 people and killed one at the Old Bailey; and another loyalist, Mr. Billy Hutchinson, one of these Progressive Unionists, the radical politicians we heard about earlier. He was involved in the casual killing from a car of two Catholics.
House of Commons Hansard Debates for 10 Jun 1998 (pt 42)

House of Commons Hansard Debates for 10 Jun 1998 (pt 42)

Skin

Right in all seriousness,I find it difficult to move on so yes part of it is my problem Seamus however until they apologise for past actions a lot of people, including I wont. So simple solution, they apologise, I stop berating them and everyone is happy... you have to agree with that surely?
The thread is called Sinn Fein website - "IRA statements". You should try reading some, seeing as you find it hard to move on. Particulary the statement issued on 16th July 2002 ( eight years ago).

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies