Sinn Fein Will Install Michelle O'Neill As Minister For Northern Ireland In A Dublin Coalition Government.

TruthInTheNews

Sinn Fein Will Install Michelle O'Neill As Minister For Northern Ireland In A Dublin Coalition Government.

Sinn Fein have plans to install Michelle O'Neill as Minister For Northern Ireland in a Dublin coalition government. Sinn Fein will make any prospective coalition agreement with FFG conditional on responsibility for NI being removed from the Department of Foreign Affairs and given to Roinn an Taoisigh. The plan is that O'Neill will then be appointed to the Department of the Taoiseach.

I wonder how FFG will react to this proposal?

Mick Mac

Sinn Fein have plans to install Michelle O'Neill as Minister For Northern Ireland in a Dublin coalition government. Sinn Fein will make any prospective coalition agreement with FFG conditional on responsibility for NI being removed from the Department of Foreign Affairs and given to Roinn an Taoisigh. The plan is that O'Neill will then be appointed to the Department of the Taoiseach.

The fg members will raise their voice to oppose a ministry for foreigners.

It sounds plausible but where did you hear about this

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Interesting proposal, without knowing where this is coming from... I can see a situation where O'Neill would be appointed to the Senate and then confirmed as a Minister so that should be possible technically.

Is there a link available?

Sync

A tax resident in another state who already has a job, unelected in the ROI, is put forward by a party not anywhere near power to a job that doesn't exist as part of a coalition that isn't on offer. Sounds plausible.

Devil Eire

A tax resident in another state who already has a job, unelected in the ROI, is put forward by a party not anywhere near power to a job that doesn't exist as part of a coalition that isn't on offer. Sounds plausible.
In Ireland, yes.

Gin Soaked

I know you don't have to be a TD to be a minister? Do you have to be a senator? Sounds do-able but would she have to resign from "up there"?

Mick Mac

In Ireland, yes.
Stop barrelling in here and trying to impose your cultural construct on him.

It's a position of the Sinn Fein party that everyone gets to freely choose how they build their identity and if Sync builds his identity on the basis of Ireland being the state ruled from Dublin then that's his choice and you've no right to impose your views on him.

Mick Mac

I know you don't have to be a TD to be a minister? Do you have to be a senator? Sounds do-able but would she have to resign from "up there"?
Top of the head but isn't it only finance needs to he elected?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
You could be describing Denis O'Brien.

PBP voter

Unless she is a elected td i think constitutionally impossible?
Jim Dooge one of the world's top Civil Engineers was not a TD but was a government minister.

I think it's possible but only for certain roles.

Hillmanhunter1

Jim Dooge one of the world's top Civil Engineers was not a TD but was a government minister.

I think it's possible but only for certain roles.

"7 1° The Taoiseach, the Tánaiste and the member of the Government who is in charge of the Department of Finance must be members of Dáil Éireann.

2° The other members of the Government must be members of Dáil Éireann or Seanad Éireann, but not more than two may be members of Seanad Éireann."

hollandia

The only non elected person with the right to attend cabinet is the attorney general afaik.

PBP voter

The only non elected person with the right to attend cabinet is the attorney general afaik.
Jim Dooge. Appointed senator and then Minister.

hollandia

Jim Dooge. Appointed senator and then Minister.
Being a senator qualifies as being elected, either by nomination by a party with enough seats in the dail, or by direct election in the case of the university seats.

hiding behind a poster

I notice it's your usual fact-free OP. When you have a credible source, let's hear it.

ScoobyDoo

Not even FF or FG dared dream up a position of "Minister for Northern Ireland"

Shinners really have accepted partition it seems.

bokuden

"7 1° The Taoiseach, the Tánaiste and the member of the Government who is in charge of the Department of Finance must be members of Dáil Éireann.

2° The other members of the Government must be members of Dáil Éireann or Seanad Éireann, but not more than two may be members of Seanad Éireann."
That's this thread sorted so.

Filibuster

You could actually appoint her as a senator and then use the constitutional provision to appoint two senators to cabinet. Otherwise, she would have to be an elected, sitting TD

The intention of appointed senators was originally to bring in outside expertise to the Seanad eg a financial expert etc. The history has been to use it for party hacks instead.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies