• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Sinn Fien and the Red Arrows at airshows in NI

belfast1981

Sinn Fein councillor attacks Red Arrows return to Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Down District Council has announced the Red Arrows will be one of the key attractions of its summer tourist programme.

When the aerial daredevils first appeared in Newcastle four years ago, it attracted a crowd of more than 100,000 to the Co Down coast.

But Sinn Fein has shot down the plans to throw out the red carpet to the display team as part of a Festival of Flight festival on August 10.
Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do Sinn Fien have a point, or do you see this as Sinn Fien going against anything British again?

I am a huge airshow and airplane fanatic, I love studying and watching aircrafts from all around the world. The Festival of Flight is Newcastle's busiest day of the year and provides many local businesses with a lot of much needed income with close to 100,000 coming to the town every year for the show.

The Reds were not at the show last year, but Sinn Fien in 2010 wanted the Red Arrows to fly with purple smoke to be 'neutral' this was a more off cut comment by a local Sinn Fien member, nothing major. But this is not the first time they have protested about the Arrows in Newcastle.

Personally, I think this is Sinn Fien just being stupid. Even a few harder line nationalists I know love the airshows and aircraft. The Newcastle airshow is growing and becoming a regular fixture in NI festivals. Sinn Fien see it as ' promoting British Military' where as the thousands see it as a great day out for all.

Your thoughts... and please try to keep it reasonable without the usual crap lol

The Owl

Amazing show the Red Arrows put on. Sheer brilliance. Don't see why the Shinners should object to them. They are world renowned, much like the Shinners.

belfast1981

They are truthfully the only ones objecting. Everyone I have spoken too love them. I doubt it will do much. Newcastle is having a 'jet fest' this year with their airshow with many fast jets with the Eurofighter confirmed.

Swords Hoopster

That is absolutely pathetic. The colour of the smoke isn't "neutral"?

I've heard it all now.

cmca1

I'm a South Down man and this is (unusually) news I have not heard!

I'm a nationalist, can't wait for the Red Arrows to return, they were missed last summer!

When Sinn Fein can fly I'll listen to them gurn about an air show.

InsideImDancing

Sinn Fein councillor attacks Red Arrows return to Northern Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Just wondering what everyone thinks? Do Sinn Fien have a point, or do you see this as Sinn Fien going against anything British again?

I am a huge airshow and airplane fanatic, I love studying and watching aircrafts from all around the world. The Festival of Flight is Newcastle's busiest day of the year and provides many local businesses with a lot of much needed income with close to 100,000 coming to the town every year for the show.

The Reds were not at the show last year, but Sinn Fien in 2010 wanted the Red Arrows to fly with purple smoke to be 'neutral' this was a more off cut comment by a local Sinn Fien member, nothing major. But this is not the first time they have protested about the Arrows in Newcastle.

Personally, I think this is Sinn Fien just being stupid. Even a few harder line nationalists I know love the airshows and aircraft. The Newcastle airshow is growing and becoming a regular fixture in NI festivals. Sinn Fien see it as ' promoting British Military' where as the thousands see it as a great day out for all.

Your thoughts... and please try to keep it reasonable without the usual crap lol
Mate I think this is just one particular Shinner having a pop at the Brits over Afghanistan, I don't think SF will oppose this.

Often this kind of story comes from one particular councillor chatting chit and then some paper latches on to it.

As for the Shinners attacking Britishness, this will keep happening while the Unionists try to block Irishness, both sides need to man-up and face the reality of this place.

Embrace both identities!

InsideImDancing

I'm a South Down man and this is (unusually) news I have not heard!

I'm a nationalist, can't wait for the Red Arrows to return, they were missed last summer!

When Sinn Fein can fly I'll listen to them gurn about an air show.
When you read it mate, it's one Shinner having a pop at the Brits, a non-story really.

cmca1

When you read it mate, it's one Shinner having a pop at the Brits, a non-story really.
To be fair to SF, I think I've read similar stories before from all sides on similar stories!

I think for the most part, the people in South Down welcome the Red Arrows - keeps the tourists along the Promenade!

Galloper Thompson

I am not a big airshow fanatic although I have been to one in the States...Long Island to be precise....I personally dont see them as an ad for the military although I do know some people who are very anti war, and would have the same opinion if the Irish Air Corp "the silver swallows" appeared as they have done in the past at Newcastle...me personally, I have no problem........by the way mate its Sinn Fein not Sinn Fien.

[video=youtube;u5DeD-Ph3V0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5DeD-Ph3V0[/video]

Mickeymac

I wonder what the reaction would be if the Irish Army show jumping team and the NYPD/NYFD pipe bands in all their regalia were to entertain the kids in say Portrush come July?

cmca1

I wonder what the reaction would be if the Irish Army show jumping team and the NYPD/NYFD pipe bands in all their regalia were to entertain the kids in say Portrush come July?
When I think of that idea, I hear words like...

"The imposition of a foreign, unwanted culture on the Protestant people of Ulster!"

Meanwhile on the 12th...

Mickeymac

When I think of that idea, I hear words like...

"The imposition of a foreign, unwanted culture on the Protestant people of Ulster!"

Meanwhile on the 12th...

Appears you got my point sir.

Swords Hoopster

First of all Mick, the Irish Army wouldn't be performing in Portrush because that's not their jurisdiction.

However, if the NYPD/FD were performing in Portrush, if there was any ridiculous opposition from small minded cretins like this Shinner, then I'd be the first one to say it. But saying that this plank was right because there's planks on the Unionist side also is ridiculous.

Seriously mate, some of you lads have got to catch yourselves on and get with the times.

belfast1981

I am not a big airshow fanatic although I have been to one in the States...Long Island to be precise....I personally dont see them as an ad for the military although I do know some people who are very anti war, and would have the same opinion if the Irish Air Corp "the silver swallows" appeared as they have done in the past at Newcastle...me personally, I have no problem........by the way mate its Sinn Fein not Sinn Fien.
Oops on the spelling

I would love to see the Silver Swallows over Newcastle. Shame they got scrapped. Maybe the local Council can, in the name of 'equality' bring over the the Frecce Tricolori. crazy weeee buggers who put on a fantastic display with the Green White and Orange Smoke. They were great at the RIAT in 2011.

The Irish Air Corps actually have been prominate in Newcastle airshows since 2012 formed part of the 2010 display in Newcastle with their CASA CN 235 and in 2011 we had the e Irish Air Corps Pilatus PC-9M. I would love to see them in 2013 in some capacity.

Galloper Thompson

First of all Mick, the Irish Army wouldn't be performing in Portrush because that's not their jurisdiction.

However, if the NYPD/FD were performing in Portrush, if there was any ridiculous opposition from small minded cretins like this Shinner, then I'd be the first one to say it. But saying that this plank was right because there's planks on the Unionist side also is ridiculous.

Seriously mate, some of you lads have got to catch yourselves on and get with the times.
Its showjumping mate Im sure they can compete....The Irish air corp put on a show in Newcastle every year as far as i know.

belfast1981

Mickey seems to not realize Newcastle (and Northern Ireland) host a huge pipe band championship that pipe bands from all around the world come to. (not sure if it is world, I know some from around the world have competed there though)

sadly, Newcastle lost out this year in the bidding.

Swords Hoopster

The Irish Air Corps actually have been prominate in Newcastle airshows since 2012 formed part of the 2010 display in Newcastle with their CASA CN 235 and in 2011 we had the e Irish Air Corps Pilatus PC-9M.
Well, that put my presupposition into place!

There you are Mickey. Now what the hell are you going to come up with next? Pepsi Cola shouldn't be sold in NI because its colours aren't "neutral"?

Are you lads living on Planet earth at all mate?

Galloper Thompson

Oops on the spelling

I would love to see the Silver Swallows over Newcastle. Shame they got scrapped. Maybe the local Council can, in the name of 'equality' bring over the the Frecce Tricolori. crazy weeee buggers who put on a fantastic display with the Green White and Orange Smoke. They were great at the RIAT in 2011.

The Irish Air Corps actually have been prominate in Newcastle airshows since 2012 formed part of the 2010 display in Newcastle with their CASA CN 235 and in 2011 we had the e Irish Air Corps Pilatus PC-9M. I would love to see them in 2013 in some capacity.
Its a day out for the family...which Im sure draws from both communities, plus probably brings 100s of thousands to local businesses.